NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

76 Ski Tique themes

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 76 Ski Tique themes
    Posted: February-16-2012 at 3:54pm
Pete's boat has 4 pleats in the center of the driver's seat (see picture above). That seems to be consistent with these boats, which appear to have original interiors:

'79 Tique

'79 Tique

'78 Tique
87jct90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87jct90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 3:31pm
I have seen the work that the local upholstery shop has done and he does an amazing job. The guy lost his job and he has been trying to start the upholstery shop. I am trying to help him out and he is working very well with me.

I do not have too many pictures of the original interior, the ones in the brochure are not that great to go off of. I have the original back cushion which is amazing, but I do not have the bottom. The best picture I have is of the Ski Nautique up above. I am going to have him put the pleats in. I believe three pleats in the seats is the way to go, what do you think?
"It's not the destination, it's the journey."
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 2:19pm
Had you mentioned a need for a rear step earlier, I would have suggested doing something similar to what I did in my Tique. Instead of making the back seat bottom out of 6-8" thick foam, I made it 2-3" thick and put them on a carpeted base. It was easy to remove the bottom cushion entirely, leaving the carpeted step there for easy entry/exit without stepping on the vinyl. It also made for a better-than-nothing impromptu seat if I needed to carry a few more people on a whim.

Hopefully the shop youre working with can recreate the original look of the seats- I assume you provided lots of pictures on how you wanted the skins to look? That blue cushion you have is the original style, though it obviously doesnt have any detailing/pleating in the center panels (which I would add, personally). Im still doubtful that you can get the work done right for cheaper than Christines could do it, but I guess you'll find out! Hopefully you had the local shop order the Dolphin Naugahyde blue vinyl?
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 2:10pm
maybe you are on to something, "The seat saver", that back seat always gets trashed, maybe you could patent and start selling them.
If the legs folded up that would make for easy storage.
87jct90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87jct90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 1:47pm
I actually really want the back seat for three reasons. The first reasons is that I love the look of it. I think it really finishes the boat off nicely and makes it look more complete. The second reasons is that my mom shattered her ankle a couple years back and stepping into the boat is tough for her to do. I know the seat does not offer much of a difference as of height for her to get in, but it will make a worlds of difference for her. She really enjoys watching me ski and I want to make it easier for her to get in and out of the boat. And the third reason is more of why the Tique is perfect for me. I live on a very small lake and dock space is very limited. The lake is approximately one mile long and a half mile wide and big wakes are seen as evil. Our camp shares the property with another camp, and we have very little lake front between the two camps. Dock space is very limited and I was given hell for bringing this small of a boat in the first place. Because the lake is so small, everyone on the lake meets in the middle and hangs out. I do not cruise the lake with many people in my boat, but I do go to the middle with more than two people and just hang out. Because of that, many people get in and out of my boat and with all the traffic, I am afraid that it will take its toll on the back bench.

My next door neighbor has a 70s Chris Craft and I have always wanted a boat similar to his. I did the research and I love the look of the Ski Tique better, hands down. I do not have the money to make her perfect right now, but I am trying to restore her slowly. Since I do not have a lot of money, whatever I do for the Tique is a big deal to me and I want to make sure it is done right. I am sorry if I ask a lot of questions, but it is the only way I can learn more about the boat.

It seems like whatever I do to the poor boat, it goes wrong. I had a custom made cover for the boat made last year and the guy did not follow my instructions at all. Instead of putting the snaps on the side of the boat where the original ones were, he put new snaps on top of the sides. Whenever I have a skier now and they fall off, the relaxed ski rope gets caught on each snap. It also messed it up a couple of other ways, but I wont go there
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 9:08am
Jonathan,
Why are you concerned about people stepping on the aft seat? FYI, the aft seat in a Tique in my opinion is really worthless. The Tique due to it's small size doesn't like to have people in the aft seat. We haven't had the aft seat in our Tique in years. It's a ski boat so it's only the driver and observer. The last time the aft seat was in the boat was the year I took it to GL! If you are planning on loading the boat up with people, then, I'm sorry to say you have the wrong hull.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
87jct90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87jct90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 4:49am
    I just gave my two front seats to the upholstery shop today. He is going to make the vinyls himself instead of ordering from Christine. As soon as I get the front seats back, we are going to work on the back seat.
    We were trying to think of a way to protect the back seat from people stepping on it when they get in and out of the boat. We are going to build a teak platform that will cover a small portion of the back bench. It will have legs that go to the floor on the front and the back will clip in behind the back rest. It will be removable so it will not take away from the original look. Its hard to explain, but as soon as it is done I will show you some pictures.
      I really can't wait, I am excited to restore the Ski Tique. It is going to be a slow project, but it will get done sometime in the future. My next project is to work on the trailer a little. I want to make trailer guides for my trailer. I just need to find a fabricator that will bend the pipe for me.

Here is a picture of the seats that I gave to the upholstery shop today:
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2012 at 3:32pm
Pretty sure that boat was sold over a month ago- there was a guy asking about it here: Atom Skier
87jct90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87jct90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2012 at 3:18pm
Thanks, I just saw that 8122pbrainard has a 54 Atom. There is one for sale around me that is not to far off the price that he bought his for.

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/boa/2780015977.html

It might be a members, I didn't check.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2012 at 2:23pm
The design in the original vinyl skins was "heat stamped" custom for CC. This is no longer available. Ive seen some people sew in a design that looks very similar- others simply have pleats sewn in (like Pete's).

The "patterns" that Christines has are the proper shape and size. If you want stripes, pleats, etc sewn in, they can do that- but you'll have to discuss the particulars with them. For example, I am having them replicate the original skins for our '80 Ski Nautique by sewing in the diamond quilted pattern:

The pleats we're talking about are going to be a little more "common" form them to do (they were used a lot in the 70's), but definitely discuss the particulars with them.
87jct90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87jct90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2012 at 2:18pm
Thanks, when you order from Christine, do you know if the original pattern is in the vinyl or do the pleats have to be added?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2012 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by 87jct90 87jct90 wrote:

From what I am understanind, my interior is Dolphin Naugahyde DOL-71 and the carpet is blue grass? Or at least that is the closest I can get it?

Correct!

I would also have vertical pleats sewn into the middle section of the buckets. That would simulate the original look pretty closely. I might bring the pleats all the way to the edge on the rear bench.

Original (BFN with wider observer seat):

Pete's Tique (with sewn in pleats on a wider-than-original observer's seat):

87jct90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87jct90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2012 at 1:30pm
I have an interior maker coming today to look at the Tique. I also contacted Chritine and have that all priced out. I think I am going to buy the interior from Christine and see if this guy is interested in installing it. But I am definately going to keep it original. Depending how much the interior costs, I might even try to replace the carpet to the original color (whether it will be this spring or next.)

From what I am understanind, my interior is Dolphin Naugahyde DOL-71 and the carpet is blue grass? Or at least that is the closest I can get it?
87jct90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87jct90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2012 at 2:50am
Thanks, I didn't know whether I should attach it to the floor or the backside of the boat. I think I would be nervous about not attaching it on somehow. I contacted Christine's to price out the interior. I also have a guy that makes custom interiors coming over this week to price out how much he could make one for me. Either way, I am excited and I cannot wait for summer
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2012 at 12:07pm
Here is SamB's 73 that took home a trophy at last years GL reunion. It's a beautiful boat and I think the Red, White, & Blue theme is awesome although not original. He probably has a better shot of the interior in the diaries section so you if you wanted a better idea then do a search. I took this shot as he was coming into the campground last July. Just throwing this up there as a thought if you wanted to go with a patriotic theme. Looks good if done right and Sams boat was done right IMHO.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2012 at 9:22am
My single piece aft bottom cushion has snaps to the floor that hold it in place.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
87jct90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87jct90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 10:54pm
I see your point about the motor box. Thanks for the advice!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 8:07pm
Again, I would encourage you to use Christines for the skins, as you'll be guaranteed to get them looking just like the factory ones.

Even though my motor box is gel coated, I think I am going to see if I can fix what is left on there.

I just checked your diary and see that you have some vinyl on the motorbox now. I would encourage you to either pull it off and buff out the box if its gelcoated, or to replace the vinyl when youre doing the rest. That way youre guaranteed to get all pieces to match. It would be a shame to do it piecemeal and find out later that the vinyl you were using was discontinued before you had purchased all your skins!

I just need to decide what to do with the back seat. I would prefer to have the bench as the backseat. If I go with the bench seat in the back, how is it attached to the floor? Or does it just sit there? Also, does anyone have the measurements for the bench in the back?

Do you mean that you would prefer to have a single bottom cushion as opposed to 3 separate ones? I will say that the 3 cushions I have in my Skier are pretty handy- you can use one, two, or all three. They store easily too. If shaped appropriately, they look much better than the picture above, which make them all look sort of jelly beany, with big gaps between the 3 cushions and between the seat back.

Either way, the bottom cushion(s) just sit on the floor. I try to remember to put them in the truck when towing- though I havent lost one yet.

You dont need anyone to measure theirs for you- just measure your boat and see what fits. Christines will likely have the patterns anyways... they will ask you for a few basic dimensions, to confirm that what they make will fit.
87jct90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87jct90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 7:58pm
Sounds good, I think I am going to make the driver seat and the passenger seat the same. Even though my motor box is gel coated, I think I am going to see if I can fix what is left on there.

I just need to decide what to do with the back seat. I would prefer to have the bench as the backseat. If I go with the bench seat in the back, how is it attached to the floor? Or does it just sit there? Also, does anyone have the measurements for the bench in the back?

Thanks for the help and the advice!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 7:43pm
Your Tique has a gelcoat motorbox, right? That is very cool, and also saves you ~$500 between the skin and installation. Bonus.

Yes, the 3 cushions for the rear seat base are probably original. The observer seat would have originally been the same exact seat as the driver's bucket, just turned around (its reversible). It seems fairly common for people to widen the seat in order to accommodate more people... I found this semi-effective, as mine could fit about 1.5 asses in the seat after the change. If I had made it any wider, you couldnt have gotten into the driver's seat as easy.

Again, the reference section is going to be your best friend with this... it can otherwise be very difficult to distinguish between original and not.

87jct90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87jct90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 7:29pm
Here is another Ski Tique, this one has the pillows
87jct90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87jct90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 7:27pm
I found the following pictures, but the motor cover on this Tique is a different pattern than mine and so is the bench back rest.
87jct90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87jct90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 7:20pm
Yeah that is the same color as my back rest. Did the Tique come with a bench in the front? My passenger seat is a little wider than my driver seat, but I don't know if that was original.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 7:06pm
Here's a pic of our BFN- I believe your Tique is the same shade of blue. The Dolphin Naugahyde vinyl is slightly darker than the vinyl shown- it actually matches the (original) graphics a little better than what is in there now (which are not the original skins, but I believe them to be the same original style vinyl- Flotilla Blue Horizon). You can still get blue grass carpet, too! We got ours from Marine Carpeting.

New carpet in this past year:

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 6:47pm
I would highly recommend getting in touch with Christines (Nautique Skins) as they have all the old factory vinyl patterns. I have found their prices to be VERY reasonable, as compared to local shops. They can give you the proper shaped foam as well, if needed. Normally I would say that you can take a chance with a local shop if you know theyre really good... but without a good factory pattern to work from, youre really taking a big chance it'll look right.

The proper medium blue color that matches our Barefoot Nautique is Dolphin Naugahyde Blue (DOL-71), as I indicated above. Christines can get this for you, as they are getting the Burgundy Naugahyde for the '80 Ski Nautique interior that I am getting set to order.
87jct90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87jct90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 6:13pm
Also, I do not have any of the original interior on my boat except the seat frames, the back rest to the driver seat, and the motor cover. I need to show the person redoing the interior some detail pictures of the patterns so he can reproduce them for me. I also do not have a back bench for my boat. I heard that my year had three cushions that you sat on. How were these constructed? Did they make a bench for my year? I think I would rather have the bench. Pictures to show the guy would be great if someone can do that for me
87jct90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87jct90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 6:08pm
I am going to stick to the original scheme. I was going to attempt to do it on my own, but the sewing machine my mom has is not strong enough so I have been calling up local interior shops. My 76 Tique has a blue interior, does anyone know the name of the color or who makes the closest color to it?
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 2:38pm
agreed!! I love that offset stripe! That looks awesome.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 2:35pm
That's the one Tim, as always you are spot on. And now, looking at the two together, I like the blue letters and red stripe best.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

I thought I remember seeing a Ski Tique with red letters and red top stripe with a blue lower stripe on a 76 (although it might have been a Ski Nautique or a different year). I seem to recall all red interior. Can't find any pictures now.    I'll continue to look.

Youre probably thinking of the '73-74 Ski Nautiques that I alluded to above.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic