NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Custom 1965 Correct Craft Mustang build

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 32>
Author
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2016 at 10:19pm
Did some polishing on the tabs today, cut through the haze with 1000 grit then went at it with the polishing wheel. Still needs another hour or so of polishing.

Also, a little background on the shape and size, talking back and forth with lenco they believed that the 9x12 would be a little oversize 9x9 being about perfect. I cut mine out to 9x12 and then trimmed off the corners and bent up the edges to make them more ridged. I asked lenco about the angular shape of the racing ones and the purpose is to allow very incremental adjustment, the square ones being more linear. Based off my measurements fully retracted they should be invisible, much more so than is necessary. That limits my down travel but from what I've experienced so far, I don't need much down travel.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2016 at 5:18pm
I think what I said above is true. These boats have very high odds of rudder stall and driving the bow down faster than you can blink an eye. fighting the steering wheel and diving out of the throttle are almost futile efforts. Retracting trim tabs . well maybe he is putting light speed actuators in. If its a hey its my boat attitude like i had thats his business. Its usually the passengers that suffer. In my humble opinion based only on ignorance they are ugly as s*#t anyway .
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2016 at 10:39am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

none. I really don't know anything.

Peter,
It's a good thing you didn't tab that Skylark. As I recall, you reported plenty of hull performance issues without them! I can only imagine what would happen with them and the 350!.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2016 at 10:27am
none. I really don't know anything.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2016 at 12:54am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

make sure the first thing you say to your passenger     .Hey hold my beer and watch this
Have you actually had this happen to you in any boats yet?

You make it sound that this will happen without question, how many inboards with trim tabs have you had this happen to you?
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2016 at 9:11am
make sure the first thing you say to your passenger     .Hey hold my beer and watch this
Have you actually had this happen to you in any boats yet?
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2016 at 1:11am
How big of a Chris ?

I agree with Peter.   Those are some mighty big tabs for such a little boat.

Take a video cam for the test run.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2016 at 12:14am
It was very controllable on the Chris, I think as long as I'm modest with the adjustments I should be fine.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2016 at 9:23am
be careful you don.t snow plow that bow into the water. they get really dangerous. I cant imagine the trim tabs actuators and pistons can react fast enough.Hell the human reaction isn't fast enough..
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2016 at 1:27am
My trim tabs were just finished up, look great in the pics the guy sent me. Can't wait to get them on the boat. I'll polish them up before they go on
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2016 at 3:18am
I'm currently putting together a 4.7l stroker kit for my Jeep, the urge to stroke the boat to a 408w is strong. I can get a complete rotating assembly for $1700 with custom Pistons so that the dish/ valve reliefs are on the correct side. Besides the boring of the block and gaskets that would be a full setup. Might benefit from a larger carb/intake manifold down the road. That would certainly make for a Biblical holeshot.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2016 at 12:52am
Today's the 4th year anniversary of winning the Mustang on ebay, shoulda bought it some rum!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2016 at 11:46pm
Oh no, not built vs bought here.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2016 at 10:07pm
Haha you know in all my years of taking care of woodies and other expensive boats I've run across very few snobs. Most people that get their woodies taken care of by us tend to just be very passionate. One time this guy whos worth a couple mill brought us his very old Chris that had one of the spinning tachometers that just didn't spin. He acted all tough and stingy when he dropped it off but I thought he was going to cry when he saw I fixed it haha (it was broken for like ten years). It's one of the main reasons I haven't left the marine world, the clientele is always so happy when stuff gets done right
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2016 at 8:43am
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

should I do two 40oz of Colt 45 and Doritos? Served on a plastic hubcap?

Yes

Jim,
I too found this to be an interesting idea. Go for it! Yes, there are ACBS members that are "snobs"!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2016 at 8:34am
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

should I do two 40oz of Colt 45 and Doritos? Served on a plastic hubcap?

Yes

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2016 at 8:18pm
This is a photo of a friend of a friend's boat from the Lake Geneva Boat Show sponsored by ACBS. This guy hands out Schlitz tall boys to people he likes who engage him at the dock. He told me he named his boat Schlitz because that is what boating is to him. Hanging out with unpretentious friends who enjoy boating, sunny afternoons, and a cooler full of cold Schlitz. I had a few tall boys with the guy. I think he nailed it. I didn't see anyone who couldn't relate no matter how much they had invested in their boats. I believe the ACBS gets a bad rap for the wine and cheese stereotype. You will hear a lot of good things said about your boat. The future of ACBS depends on an expanding base of members and yours shows what can be done by a skilled craftsman working with a medium that is unfamiliar to many of them.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2016 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

I had forgotten the 351 swap. YIKES!

People say yikes when I tell them i have that much power but go weeeeeeeeee!!! When they ride in it haha.

Side note, I joined the ACBS Adirondack Chapter! Now I'll finally get to put the Mustang in the Fulton Chain rendezvous! I saw last year that everybody had a fancy wine and cheese plate in the back of their antique boats, because mines just a stupid ruined non original boat should I do two 40oz of Colt 45 and Doritos? Served on a plastic hubcap?
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2016 at 1:58am
Suddenly I like your XJ much more. I had forgotten the 351 swap. YIKES!

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2016 at 1:36am
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

I have had a Cherokee and a GC with the 4.0liter, and an SX4 and a CJ7 with the 4.2 They pulled fairly well but the RE42 in the GC was not up to even the meager torque of the 4.0. I hope it works out for you, that Cherokee is very nice.
I have lost track, do you have a 5.7 in that boat? I can't imagine going over 331 with a 302 block.

My jeep has the 5 speed ax15 which is pretty stout and can handle about 350tq before it starts to get a little weak, my main reason to not do a LSX swap.

The CC has a 351w with all the go fast goodies.

Which reminds me, still gotta install the poly filled Mallory coil
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2016 at 9:17pm
I have had a Cherokee and a GC with the 4.0liter, and an SX4 and a CJ7 with the 4.2 They pulled fairly well but the RE42 in the GC was not up to even the meager torque of the 4.0. I hope it works out for you, that Cherokee is very nice.
I have lost track, do you have a 5.7 in that boat? I can't imagine going over 331 with a 302 block.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2016 at 3:44pm
I never towed heavy with my Cherokees, mostly just the '63 and a few utility trailers, but always was impressed by the way they towed. I'm surprised it was rated so low on torque, would have guessed a higher number. 300 ft.-lb. should be a big improvement!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2016 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

I didn't realize you could stroke a 4 liter straight six. How do you get it more fuel, or can you continue to run the stock program? I really enjoyed running that engine in a Cherokee and 2 Grand Cherokees.

Right, that's what you need, more power in that boat!

It's actually a super popular stroker, you make it a 4.6 by using the crank out of an 80's AMC 4.2, connecting rods from the 4.0 and custom pistons. You use 24lb injectors from a Ford 5.0 (already have those installed, easy upgrade) and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, thats about it! If you get into heavy head porting and a wild cam however, you need an adjustable map and time on the dyno. I'm going to keep it mild, I'm at 193hp 225tq stock and a mild 4.6 should put out about 210hp 300tq which I think will be sufficient.

If I smoked something in the 351w and it needed to be rebuilt... It would probably turn into a stroker
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2016 at 2:12pm
I didn't realize you could stroke a 4 liter straight six. How do you get it more fuel, or can you continue to run the stock program? I really enjoyed running that engine in a Cherokee and 2 Grand Cherokees.

Right, that's what you need, more power in that boat!
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2016 at 1:40pm
Currently ordering a stroker kit for my jeep to go from a 4.0 to 4.6 which should help towing the boat, I wonder if there's any outlets that could give me a deal if I got a 408w kit along with it hmm
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2016 at 10:16pm
Anybody know about how much the Mustang weighs with a trailer? I'm having trouble finding a place nearby that I could weigh it at
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2016 at 12:27am
Brought the tabs to a tin knocker to see if he had a brake big enough to make the bends I want.

Since it's arctic cold outside I messed with the upholstery a little. This isn't permanent, I just quick stapled and taped the white to see what it looked like. I was surprised to see that I'm not a huge fan of the look, it's not very apparent in the pics but because the seat base is larger than the seat back the seat appears "upside down". I'll just sit and think on it a little more.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

have you really asked members on here or others with short hull ski boats if these trim rams even work on these boats?
I've seen the old fixed trim plates on old inboard boats but never these huge things you are proposing to use.. I would find out awhole lot more before you drill holes in the boat just to find out that they may actually make the ride worse..

Dave,
When you have time, go back a couple pages and read the warnings.

Nope, not gonna do it.. ZZZZZZZZZZ
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 10:58am
I don't have firsthand experience with tabs, but on a jet boat forum a few years ago there was a discussion of the stresses on tabs. The word from some more experienced guys was that the force on trim tabs was not as high as you might think, at least on smaller boats, and that in fact spring loaded tabs don't even bottom out (actually top out?) with the water force. The main tab improvement as people went to larger tab surface was dual rams, not because the power was really needed to actuate them, but to stabilize the tab so there was less edge flex. Again, just repeating what I read, not sure if it applies here.

12 gauge sheet steel is pretty stout.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

have you really asked members on here or others with short hull ski boats if these trim rams even work on these boats?
I've seen the old fixed trim plates on old inboard boats but never these huge things you are proposing to use.. I would find out awhole lot more before you drill holes in the boat just to find out that they may actually make the ride worse..

Dave,
When you have time, go back a couple pages and read the warnings.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 32>
  Share Topic