NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Custom 1965 Correct Craft Mustang build

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1516171819 32>
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 11:37pm
Well done Jim looking good. Did you drive it yet or were you just floating it?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 12:26am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Well done Jim looking good. Did you drive it yet or were you just floating it?

Oh I sure did drive it! Thats how I found out the motor was blown

It drives just how I hoped it would, no pouposing and it goes very very fast havent gpsd the top speed yet, and i probably wont get to until next year :/
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 12:39am
That boat with a warmed up 351 will be scary fast.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 12:58am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

That boat with a warmed up 351 will be scary fast.

Without the interior and whatnot it is already scary fast, you can just crank the wheel and blow out a nice rooster through the turn. Love it.

Even got a couple cheers from different docks because of my antics, many people came by the marina to ask about it. Feeling pretty proud of how its turning out so far
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 1:02am
Has anyone successfully fitted a 351 in an old Mustang? I couldn't find a thread on a swap when I searched, just a lot of discussion and what ifs. Unless it would fit under the stock doghouse I would have to get skinnier feet to get to the back seat. It's silly narrow as it is.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 1:07am
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Has anyone successfully fitted a 351 in an old Mustang? I couldn't find a thread on a swap when I searched, just a lot of discussion and what ifs. Unless it would fit under the stock doghouse I would have to get skinnier feet to get to the back seat. It's silly narrow as it is.

Mine fits just fine under the doghouse, just needed a 3 inch booster, theres more space on the sides than 50's v8 centurys, if you consider those spacious
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 2:36am
I win idiot of the month for forgetting that you Installed that 351 in it. I have followed the thread since the beginning and should be spanked for that question.
Is it the center riser exhaust or a taller intake that requires the 3" bump?
It looks really nice.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 3:21am
John- Peter 1234 has despite what the ad says a Skylark with 350 Chevy,which I might add anyone can make go fast and I think there was one at GL a couple of years ago that had been regeled orange with a 351. Link
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 10:27am
Gary . I sold mine in the spring.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 10:49am
Gary, are you thinking of that dark orange (tangerine?) Mustang that had been repowered with a newer 350 (~260hp)? I think it GPS'd right around 50.x. There was talk of a 351w powered Mustang that showed up one of the years I couldnt make GL- but it had a modified motorbox. Width has always been the issue, and I thought the consensus was that a 351w would have a really hard time fitting under that older (pre-70) glass box, and PCM style manifolds on a 351w were definitely a no-go. Some people have put those on 302's and reported that they rub the sides. I need to go measure my intakes... I want to say the 351w is about 2" wider than a 302.
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 11:47am
Great work. I remember the color combination debate. I think you nailed it. Can't wait to see pictures of interior when it is installed. What a great resurrection of an old and tried CC.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 12:00pm
Oops,I thought you had changed your mind Peter and tried to pull that ad. ---
That's the one Tim, time has dimmed my memory,I thought it was a Ford. is a Chevy about the same size as a Ford?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 12:25pm
There was a 351 in a mustang that showed up to McCallums for one of the reunions as well.. with a modified box. Adding the riser at the bottom effectively widens the box down at the manifolds and helps with the fit.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 12:39am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

There was a 351 in a mustang that showed up to McCallums for one of the reunions as well.. with a modified box. Adding the riser at the bottom effectively widens the box down at the manifolds and helps with the fit.

Its actually not the width interfering its the height, theres a good inch play side to side, the humps are catching at the top
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2013 at 10:22pm
Just a collection of random pics, marina FINALLY closed so I'll have some time to finally finish some things on the cc.

Bought meself a new tent.

Dash turned out really well, happy with how the look flows. Accessory gauges are stewart warners, tach is a Sunpro, all new.

Refurbed gas tank, cleaned out, cut off old fill tube to relocated fill, welded up that plate on top, new sender, new fittings and painted because why not.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2013 at 10:31pm
Blower hose barely fit behind the tank.

Just a pic of the Century Arabian eye bracket, the two bolts in the middle are for the ski ring on the outside.

Tank installed yay! Now I can start building the seats finally!

Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2013 at 10:43pm
Wow. Looking great!
Js
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2013 at 5:47pm
It is custom, but still looking great.
Keep paying attention to details as you do...
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2013 at 1:11am
Thanks guys, I plan to start making the seats tomorrow. The front one is going to be interesting
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2013 at 11:31am
nice work Jim!
83Ski
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2013 at 12:51pm
Its been very cold and miserable out but I've managed to "finish" the framework for the seats. Really bummed ill have to wait for warmer weather to finish paint and have them covered, probably for the best they are one of the last things done. Im uploading like 60 pics so it will take awhile.

College is also done for the semester so I'll have plenty of time to screw around with the smaller details
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2013 at 1:05pm
Alright so normally I dont explain much in my pics, but this **** is all from scratch so it probably needs some splainin.

A piece of plywood! This is pine, bought it because it was cheap. You will notice though that the color of the wood changes later on ( keep this in mind)

Getting the right profile was an extremely daunting task, wasted quite a few pieces figuring out the back angle rise run ect.

This is the top of the seat, hopefully the pics make sense.

This is after the front cut to match the profile of the seat back

Then I attached the rear facia. I got the proper curve by attching the facia, tracing it along the curve of the top board than removing it and cutting it. The face of the seat back is a different angle however due to the change in slope!

Rear fascia.

Testing fit.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2013 at 1:08pm
Building the rest of the seat. Lots of ****ing angles!

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2013 at 1:14pm

This is where things get goofy, notice the tint change? I started over! Using the dimensions I liked and the dimensions that needed some tweaking. Used the good doug fir plywood for this iteration. Major changes were a shortening of the seat by a 1/2, Narrowing of the back by 1/2 and a change in support of the bow using plywood this time. Ski pole still needs to be shortened.

Unfortunately didnt take many pics second time around, of course building the second one was much easier than the first.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2013 at 1:41pm
The backseat. These panels are for support of the ladder and to block the edges around the seat.

The rear seat fascia with cutouts for speakers.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2013 at 1:49pm
Not the best setup sound wise, but I LOVE the way it looks.

Used that boombox so I could test them out, surprisingly load and clear for little 4x6's covered by vents.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2013 at 1:54pm
The final look, turned out just how I wanted. Front seat backrest will be higher with a bolster attached.

Cubby hole for... cubby **** I guess. Back looked plain figured id add some storage space.

And thats about it! need a couple more screws and braces in some spots but pretty much there.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2013 at 1:55pm
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2013 at 2:17pm
I like how the seating is working out except the back seats backrest,I'm thinking that it should be the same height or a little lower than the rear deck. I don't believe with that sticking up that you will be able to cover it with vinyl,hide the staples and avoid wrinkles. Hope you don't think I'm criticizing,but it seems when I redid mine this year I had more trouble getting it to look good than the first time I did it and mine is lower. Maybe the vinyl used was thicker this time,I don't know. You might be better than me on vinyl work too,what the heck do I know
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2013 at 2:47pm
Its funny you say that gary, It got trimmed down another 1/2 but I didnt bother taking new pics. It was a tough height to mess with because I was following the angle built into the back of the boat. It would definitely look silly with the front backrest lower than the rear. I like your train of thought
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1516171819 32>
  Share Topic