NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Custom 1965 Correct Craft Mustang build

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 32>
Author
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Good that you had easy trip,too bad about your Grandpa tho. Looks like your buddy has a 6 in his grand? Kind of makes the cruise control hard to use thru Georgia don't it? Keep us posted on your project, looks like a good one.

Yeah he was a great guy, father of 13 children! It was quite the ordeal.

The Jeep got about 17mpg to the boat and 13mpg back, not to bad. Once you when past 85 though it wanted to keep downshifting.

I left for this boat while I was in the middle of working on my Jeep so updates will be sporadic. Also, the whole trip kind of cleaned me out for cash for a bit haha. Just over 800 just in gas
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 3:43pm
Haven't had a lot of time the past two days but I pretty much have everything out (besides the dash, leaving that alone for now) and the engine ready to be removed. Just have to disconnect the driveshaft and mount bolts.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 3:45pm
I have made more progress then that but I forgot to take pics. Rudder, steering exhaust is all out.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 4:06pm
I'm going to have to start ordering materials soon:
-Douglas fir for all stringer wood work.
-CPES everything
-Original style fiberglass cloth

Sound good?

Also, what is the differnce between the doug fir at home depot and the doug fir at a sawmill? Just the number of knots?
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 8:49pm
I got my 2 quarts of cpes today along with 2 gallons of West Epoxy.

For the stringers I plan on 2 layers of fiberglass cloth, and one layer of roving. I'm going to order the cloth tonight. I will order two 25 yard rolls of 10oz cloth and 25 yards of roving.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 8:56pm
Jim,
The roving will be hard to bend around the corners of the stringers. I suggest using biax instead.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 9:01pm
Biax and cloth are the same material correct? 3 layers of cloth should be better than the original one layer of roving I imagine?

BTW I bought the Gourgeon brothers book, excellent read. It filled in a lot of gaps in my knowledge.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 9:13pm
I take that back, they are not. Is there any specific advantages of one other the other?
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2012 at 3:59am
I might just be purchasing my fiberglass off ebay of all places...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiberglass-Cloth-6-4oz-X-60-X-150-woven-roving-Grade-E-/180853188390?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item2a1bb0a726&vxp=mtr
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2012 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

I got my 2 quarts of cpes today along with 2 gallons of West Epoxy.

What are you planning to do with that material? Is the Mustang youre rebuilding a 1:10 scale model?
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2012 at 7:23pm
Won a ski pole off eBay today, out of a century riveria, 36" tall. Perfect size! Also bought roberts 6700 carpet glue, it had fantastic reviews.

Some of the stuff. On top of the carpet glue you can see the rear eye I won off ebay, the one that was in the boat ripped out.

Chiseled off some of the original fiberglass, one layer of roven! Man they really hacked these things together! After close inspection a lot of the stringers literally had no fiberglass what so ever and they lasted almost 50 years.

The only spots I could find with two layers was where they overlapped.

Little engine cradle I made.

The boards, they are 16ft'ers. I cut off one end and had my uncle use his moisture meter on a couple of the boards, 7-8% on the faces, 10% on the end. Perfect for fiberglassing, I dont have to wait a day longer. (but I will, because I have other projects I have to finish!)

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2012 at 4:50am
Won a sweet morse control box off ebay from a 67 chris craft. It looks identical to the ones in the 67 maruders so it should look pretty solid in my rig. I HATED the plastic box in it!
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 7:23pm
Got the steering wheel off, mostly because I was getting tired of looking at it.

Also found my 1950's mail jeep heater. Glad I can put some Jeep parts in this thing!

Looking pretty lame in the driveway, but I'm stocking up on parts.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 8:06pm
Just ordered a Walnut steering wheel from grant, should fit pretty well with the look im going for.
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 12:53am
Ah....to be young! Awesome job, Keep the work up, and post pics as you do, really cool to see this thing take (another) shape......
NO LONGER A MEMBER
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 2:42am
Thanks! She will be great I promise!

Question for those still watching, what would be the best wood to replace the dash piece that would varinish to a nice gloss?
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 3:14pm
Decided against doing the dash for now, at least until I find some new gauges.

So until the boat show and exchange in st. Lawrence then!
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 5:28pm
Just ordered two 16ft sections of waterproof red LEDs. Its nice they come in 12v, I had to run a massive inverter on the bayliner for the 120v lighting I had last time.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 6:06pm

Just ordered two 16ft sections of waterproof red LEDs. Its nice they come in 12v, I had to run a massive inverter on the bayliner for the 120v lighting I had last time.

Where will the lighting go?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 7:20pm
Under the gunwhales, the indirect lighting always looks awesome at night.
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 8:19pm
Hi Jim,

How does the dash look under the wood panel that was added?

-Phil
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 9:07pm

As soon as I saw the word "custom" in the title, I knew sooner or later this would come up!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by 70CC 70CC wrote:

Hi Jim,

How does the dash look under the wood panel that was added?

-Phil

Essentially gone, just a big jigged oval
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

As soon as I saw the word "custom" in the title, I knew sooner or later this would come up!

Its a nice accent, makes late night cruises a lot nicer when you can see who you are talking too.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 10:40pm

Its a nice accent, makes late night cruises a lot nicer when you can see who you are talking too.

You aft all around white nav light doesn't work?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 10:46pm
I have to say that if we stop somewhere out in the lake the nav light is too bright, you look back and it glares at you, attracts bugs if close to shore. I'll turn off the lights a bit but obviously only if there is nobody else out, and then only for a short time.

So, I get it with the soft accent light idea.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 10:55pm
Bingo! I had a deflector on the bayliners stern light precisely for that reason. That way, I could have the boat lit up without the harshness
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 10:56pm

Touchy now arent we!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 10:58pm

Touchy now arent we!

I don't think LED's are on Pete's approved parts list!

I can't imagine you doing all that with a 120 volt inverter on your last project, seems like a sketchy plan. 12 volt all the way!
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Touchy now arent we!

I don't think LED's are on Pete's approved parts list!

I can't imagine you doing all that with a 120 volt inverter on your last project, seems like a sketchy plan. 12 volt all the way!

It worked ok, at the time there wasnt the LED tech and 12v neon wouldnt disperse the way I wanted.

Approved parts?? What is this some sort of restoration?? Might as well tear out the 351 while I'm at it!
A boat like this doesnt have its orginal motor and needs new gelcoat has lost any "original" value that a collector would seek out. That is part of the reason I bought this boat, I don't have to feel bad doing whatever I wish to it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 32>
  Share Topic