NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Custom 1965 Correct Craft Mustang build

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 32>
Author
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 3:35pm
Pete, honestly didnt think about it that much, I wa just curious as towhat difference the CPES will make (and I get to try varnish!) In reality I will use a mahogany plywood because with the gauge section away from the dash I would figure solid mahogany has a good chance of splitting after a few years. Unless you thing solid 3/4 mahogany could handle that?

Also I went to the garage and the Cabot is a "gloss spar varnish" then below that it says "the ultimate in UV protection for marine and indoor/outdoor applications" so I'm guessing its the right type?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 3:54pm
Jim,
When you said "Cabot" I thought it was the stain. You weren't clear on that. Well, I don't have first hand expierience with the Cabot spar but it sounds good. My favorite is Interlux/Pettit Flagship.

You can go with the ply if you want but I would go with a solid. You will not see the ply edges and the solid if theres a good finish (both sides) on it you will not have a problem. The ply you could run into delamination if the finish gets bad. Ether one, plan on a maintenance coat of varnish every 2 or 3 years.

BTW, Mahogany ply needs the grain filler too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 6:22pm
I'll look into how to grain fill on YouTube, theres a guy on youtube that makes canoes and he has awesome videos.

I'm fine about having to refinish it every couple of years, I'm really attracted to the idea of having a wood facia.

I'm not 100% on solid or ply, I just know there is a specialty plywood manufacturer close by whom I'm going to buy my floor material from, so I want to check them out on the mahogany. I was thinking some chrome edging for the ply edges.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 5:55pm
Was playing around with some wet sanding today and I was looking at the skeg, it looks like the boat was run aground, the skeg was bronzed over a large crack in the middle and a crack down the bearing. There is also a gash where the prop hit the hull, and was fiberglassed over.

Kinda pissed I wasn't told this, I hope I can get another skeg off a buddy who dismantled a 61 skier. Not the worst thing in the world, but its a pain when there is already so much to do.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

Was playing around with some wet sanding today and I was looking at the skeg, it looks like the boat was run aground, the skeg was bronzed over a large crack in the middle and a crack down the bearing. There is also a gash where the prop hit the hull, and was fiberglassed over.

Kinda pissed I wasn't told this, I hope I can get another skeg off a buddy who dismantled a 61 skier. Not the worst thing in the world, but its a pain when there is already so much to do.

Jim,
A 66 mustang shouldn't have a skeg. Do you mean the strut?

"bronzed"? Maybe brazed?

Considering the gash in the hull, it would be a good idea to pull the prop shaft and check it for straightness and then do a complete alignment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jim,
A 66 mustang shouldn't have a skeg. Do you mean the strut?

"bronzed"? Maybe brazed?

Considering the gash in the hull, it would be a good idea to pull the prop shaft and check it for straightness and then do a complete alignment.

Pete, yes strut is what I meant, I usually work on i/os and outboards. And yes I guess brazed? It appears to be made of bronze, really dont know! And yes, all of this is coming off anyways for the stringer job. I spun the shaft and it seems fine, it also looks newer, a nice stainless. This repair may be very old, I'm not sure.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2012 at 1:51pm
I bid 130 on this flag, looks like I'm going to win it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300694231994?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2012 at 1:58pm

I bid 130 on this flag, looks like I'm going to win it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300694231994?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649

proper link for Jim
Jim,
Billy has reproductions just like the originals for a lot less than $140!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2012 at 2:11pm
How do you make the links proper? Never had this problem on a forum.

And I know there are repos but this one is too cool! I probably wont even use the flag, just hang it in the garage LOL. I am doing a red and black theme.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2012 at 2:27pm
Jim,
The search feature here on CCfan is a wonderful tool!

Linking here on CCfan is not automatic like some other sites you may go to. You need to click on "post reply" instead of using the "quick reply". Then, clicking on the world icon will bring up the description box. Enter the description of your link and click "OK". The next box that comes up is where you paste the address in.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2012 at 6:37pm
That old flag is a peach! Nice find. I would like it too, but I follow good etiquette and don't bid against other members.
I would like to contact Billy for a repro swallow tail for my Mustang. Anyone have his info?
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2012 at 7:04pm
Damn it! I only bid 100! Aw man that sucks! I'm sure there is plenty more out there though right? LOL. Oh well life goes on.

I saw some of "Billy's" flags, would he custom make one? The late 50's red script on black would look awesome!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2012 at 7:11pm
Jim,
Pre about 1966, the originals came in blue with white lettering and were burgees. After that, they white with red lettering and were pennants.

But then again you don't care anyway!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2012 at 7:16pm

But then again you don't care anyway!!

Damn straight!

I feel like I have seen a really nice looking red flag with black lettering, I think it was Chris Craft. It was really pretty whatever it was.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2012 at 9:57pm
id go for the chris craft flag
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2012 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

id go for the chris craft flag

One that says "chris craft" or one that looks like one?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 12:26am
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

That old flag is a peach! Nice find. I would like it too, but I follow good etiquette and don't bid against other members.
I would like to contact Billy for a repro swallow tail for my Mustang. Anyone have his info?

Karens # at

CorrectCraftParts 1-318-299-8547

Billy # at

The Boat Doctor 1-318-3863-2825
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 1:55am
I was playing with the angle of the seating a bit today, nothing technical, just want to know what it feels like. I will probably take the stringers down two inches from the rise of the seat to the bow, for more leg room. It looks like the seats O.C. will be about 5 inches higher than the deck, thats with the curve added.

Also started playing with the ski pole. I want it to be high enough for an Around the Boat but not look ridiculous.

Think its high enough? The bow sinks pretty deep in the turn so it should be able to make it at this height. Even if the passenger has to pop the rope up I guess its not a big deal, but its safer if they don't have to

Also, I am very close to finishing my Jeep, which means I can start playing with the boat!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 2:15am
You asked for some pics of dash and seats earlier, I got a few phone pics today.

Hope this helps!

I'd say that ring is plenty high for an all around, but I'm far from an expert on the subject.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 2:31am
What's the Jeep project?

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 2:42am
Thanks David youre the man!!

Those seat pics tell me a lot, looks like an 8"ish rise Until the cusions start?

How do you like as far as the overall feel of the front seat? Would you like more angle to the backrest, more pitch to the seat bottom, a higher backrest ect?

That gauge pic is awesome, I might just go with a new set from stewart warner that are very similar, unless I find something good at the marina.

Very pretty color too, I always wanted to get a Stratocaster in that color LOL
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 2:50am
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

What's the Jeep project?

I've been building a rear bumper/tireswing/frame stiffener/gas tank skid for my Jeep before I bought the boat, have to finish this project first.

Heres the hidden lever I made to lock/unlock the swing arm. There isn't another one like it on the market or on anyones Jeep "Keep it original" in an entirely different sense.

BTW this is in its infancy, the bumper is almost complete now.

VIDEO VVV

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 2:58am
For all you guys that love symmetry, you'll dig this. Before I made this I again made sure I couldn't find anything similar.

The problem was that I want the bumper to have certain contours and symmetry but I also wanted the arm to hinge at a particular point, solution:

VIDEO VVV

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 3:10am

Thanks David youre the man!!

Those seat pics tell me a lot, looks like an 8"ish rise Until the cusions start?

How do you like as far as the overall feel of the front seat? Would you like more angle to the backrest, more pitch to the seat bottom, a higher backrest ect?

That gauge pic is awesome, I might just go with a new set from stewart warner that are very similar, unless I find something good at the marina.

Very pretty color too, I always wanted to get a Stratocaster in that color LOL

The seat is great the way it is set up now, I wouldn't change anything, I'm tall and stretch out my legs very comfortably. My only complaint is lack of padding because those original cushions are rock hard, in rough water we sit on orange life vests to cushion the ride, makes a big difference.

The only things on the boat that are not factory stock are the larger tach I installed, home made hand throttle rather than the stock toe-heel, thru-hull for bilge pump, and cb antenna mount on the bow that the original owner installed. Those cushions are stock from 1963 with every snap intact, amazes me they've lasted so long.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 3:20am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

The seat is great the way it is set up now, I wouldn't change anything, I'm tall and stretch out my legs very comfortably. My only complaint is lack of padding because those original cushions are rock hard, in rough water we sit on orange life vests to cushion the ride, makes a big difference.

The only things on the boat that are not factory stock are the larger tach I installed, home made hand throttle rather than the stock toe-heel, thru-hull for bilge pump, and cb antenna mount on the bow that the original owner installed. Those cushions are stock from 1963 with every snap intact, amazes me they've lasted so long.

I will try and emulate the seats the best I can then! I already have plans for much thicker cushions. You feel the back rest is high enough then huh? That will actually cut down the time to make the seats dramatically. Its hard to tell from the pic but those gauge needles have miniature arrows on the ends?
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 3:58am
If you make the seat backs match the height of the gunwales, you can sit like this:

I sit half on the seat back, half on the gunwale quite a bit of the time, great for idling around, really comfortable. It's one of the advantages of the front bench seat, with of course the negative being that you don't have a rear facing observers seat.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 4:26am

Thank you! I bought the sewing machine a couple of days ago, but I still have plenty of time to learn before I actually get to the seat portion. And yes, this boat was certainly grinder worthy!!!

What kind of machine did you get? Vinyl is tough with a home machine, but it has been done. I have some upholstery training and many here have applied skins. Feel free to contact me if you are struggling with anything.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 2:46am
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Thank you! I bought the sewing machine a couple of days ago, but I still have plenty of time to learn before I actually get to the seat portion. And yes, this boat was certainly grinder worthy!!!

What kind of machine did you get? Vinyl is tough with a home machine, but it has been done. I have some upholstery training and many here have applied skins. Feel free to contact me if you are struggling with anything.

Its a Singer 4233 heavy duty, It actually does quite well, I'm still getting used to changing the settings when I start getting "nesting" issues. Thanks for the assistance, I will keep you in mind!

Side note, is there any reason to have the exhaust reduced at the manifold? Looks like a lot of boats go from 3 inch right to 2 1/2. I'm thinking of going 3 inch from tip to tail.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 5:03am
Mrs B would put my Mustang out to pasture if I tried to run vinyl through her Benina 830LE. I thought upholstery required an industrial machine.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 8:55am

Side note, is there any reason to have the exhaust reduced at the manifold? Looks like a lot of boats go from 3 inch right to 2 1/2. I'm thinking of going 3 inch from tip to tail.

"a lot of boats" Yes but you may be looking at newer boats. In the 60's the 2.5" would have been the norm. I'd say it was in the early 70's when the 3" was starting to be used.

You don't want to keep that 2" corrugated?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 32>
  Share Topic