NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ice Out - Open Water 2012

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ice Out - Open Water 2012
    Posted: March-07-2012 at 2:05pm
March 7, 2012 our lake is officially open water!! This is the earliest ice out in my memory!!

Crazy thing did happen this AM, my neighbor never takes his boat lift completely out of the water, just drags it to the shore where it freezes in. Usually not a problem except this year, LOL. This AM it floated out with the ice, made it about 2-300 yards from shore before it went down, roflmao. While we were working on getting the John boat launched to attempt a rescue one of the guy's kayaked out and tied a ski line with a buoy to it. We now know where 30 foot above his boat lift is, OUCH.
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 2:37pm
Can you say BRRRRRR! cold water.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 3:16pm
WOW! Whats the plan for the rescue?
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 3:25pm
I'd pump a bunch of ping pong balls down to it like the mythbusters and float that B back home!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 3:26pm
Glad to hear the ice is out. Now when do we ski??? Next week, we will have light to 7PM or later, that's all good!!!
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Glad to hear the ice is out. Now when do we ski??? Next week, we will have light to 7PM or later, that's all good!!!

+1, let's ski.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 5:09pm
I sure hope the lift wasn't a Shore Station hydraulic! Besides getting a diver to go after it, he may have a certain agency going after him!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 5:55pm
No Pete, just a basic cantilever. Owner is actually out of town, I am going to row out there tonight and survey it, try and determine how deep it really is and also place an additional marker as I am not sure how well that rope was attached before it went down.

No Plan yet Chris, he will most likely need to send a diver down to tie off and maybe have the local pier installer come out with his duck boat crane to hoist it up. Guessing where it dropped is about 30' deep. The pier section that also went out we can probably hoist by hand.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 6:02pm
CQ - Do you think you will be able to see that deep? If so, maybe drop and anchor with a chain back to shore. Use a car to pull it and slide it along the bottom. Anything better then having to send a diver down...
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 6:10pm
that anchor trick could cause some more damage though, broken windshield etc.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 6:40pm
Maybe visible Steve but that really depends on how deep it is, our lake is almost 60' at it's deepest point, water quality clarity is very good but could be a little diminished with the recent run off from the thaw. Typical lift is at about 8' square, so that could help also.

Diver is really not a problem, there is a guy who really likes to dive our lake for artifacts from back in the days they harvested the ice here, heck he would probably do it just for the thrill of it.

As another option perhaps we could finally find a productive use for a tube, tie a tube to each corner from its tow point and inflate, wonder if that would bring the lift up??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

CQ - Do you think you will be able to see that deep? If so, maybe drop and anchor with a chain back to shore. Use a car to pull it and slide it along the bottom. Anything better then having to send a diver down...

Steve,
I witnessed a 3/4 ton pick up loaded with propane tanks (the guy had the local propane business) go through the ice. Thankfully he and his 2 kids in the truck got out through the windows before it went down completely. Anyway, the DNR (Wisconsin) was out there immediately and told him he had 7 days to get it out or there would be a $1000 fine per day. So, this person got a bunch of his logging friends together as well as a couple cases of beer to get the pickup out. (I hate to stereotype but this was "first class red neck northern Wisconsin" type! ) Ok, they tried to make an A frame to pull the truck up but the ice in the area was so "punky" it kept on going through the ice as well. What they ended up doing was to cut a slit in the ice all the way to shore and then pulling the pickup out with a cable and a log skidder!!! Well, by the time they got it out, you could not even recognize the pickup as even a vehicle! At least he avoided the 1K per day fine!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 8:49pm
Pete - I have seen guys struggle with Snowmobiles, I can't imagine trucks...

CQ - Go with the diver, much better option. We tried to float just one side of our AL lift. Four truck tubes wouldn't lift it and we were in 6 feet of water, 30 feet is a whole different animal for sure.
sethro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sethro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2012 at 12:58am
I use 2 old tractor tire inner tubes to remove and install our 3 lifts every year. They float the lifts with no problems. However, it is hard enough to get the deflated tube into place under a cross member while standing in chest deep water. I can't imagine dragging them down in 30 feet of water as they are somewhat bouyant even with little to no air in them.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2012 at 2:39am
Tubes and a compressor will do it, but if you are really30 ft deep the tubes may very well pop on the way up if you fill them the whole way up down there so be careful of pressure changes, i used 4 tubes to get up a steel hoist in about 16 feet before- tie em on and fill slowly and evenly and just enough to raise it.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2012 at 3:11am
Joe, that's a great point, if I remember my dive tables 30 feet is 2 ATM, so when you get to the surface (1 ATM) your volume doubles. Innertube with double the volume, thats a gonna blow!
MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2012 at 7:50am
Its going to be a long slow process trying to work down there as its going to be very very cold! 40F if you are lucky (guess though)

If you can rig up a series of tubes on ropes to each corner to float it up a few feet at a time and `walk/pull` it into shallow water you would spend less time down at depth and have less risk of launching the lift into orbit with the tubes expanding and floating up to the surface at speed!

Pictures are needed though
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2012 at 9:53am
Instead of trying to "screw around" with "home made" solutions (tubes) it's really best to get the pro's involved - the diver and the dock installer with the barge mounted hoist/crane.

Chris,
I'm getting a feeling this neighbor of your's is tight on his wallet!! I think he's going to have to break it open on this project!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2012 at 10:43am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Instead of trying to "screw around" with "home made" solutions (tubes) it's really best to get the pro's involved

Ah Pete...I was really looking forward to the pictures maybe even a movie
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2012 at 10:59am
Leave the professionals out. It sounds like a good beer driven man challenge. Once in a while it is fun to re-invent the wheel.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2012 at 11:31am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Instead of trying to "screw around" with "home made" solutions (tubes) it's really best to get the pro's involved - the diver and the dock installer with the barge mounted hoist/crane.

Chris,
I'm getting a feeling this neighbor of your's is tight on his wallet!! I think he's going to have to break it open on this project!

Come on pete, where the heck is the fun in that.

It also depends on how professional the "pros" are. It is alot more gentle a procedure to float up a hoist than to lift it from the wrong point with a crane. We dont do a lot of pier installations up this way because the ice would destroy anything not made out of massive amounts of concrete and steel so our professionals are generally hacks who move portable docks and hoists for a living but that is about it.

the one that I recovered (albiet from shallower water) was there because the "pros" came off of plane for the delivery and found that the the front of thier pontoons were now under water (apparently they had been leaking while running down the lake) and cut loose the hoist to save the barge.

If we let the professionals do everything it takes all the fun out of youtube.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2012 at 11:44am
allot of boats have been repaired on this site by non professionals and guys and gals who know nothing about restoring a boat but took initiative and the unknown and went with it with fantastic results.

Quinner just might become Chicago's Dock Salvage Extraordinaire
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2012 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

allot of boats have been repaired on this site by non professionals and guys and gals who know nothing about restoring a boat but took initiative and the unknown and went with it with fantastic results.

Good point Tim; some day I'll get there.

I was thinking that we have those 'hacks' Joe mentioned...boy have they gotten some practice the last 3 years.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2012 at 12:15pm
Joe,
We do have some great "pros" in the midwest. I'm sorry to hear you only have "hackers" in your area that can only remove sectional piers!

Sorry about the size of this picture but it shows the prep before they moved Charlie's boat house for the new piling work.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2012 at 2:23pm
Try the local dive shop. Maybe they know someone who would do it for free or cheap. If nothing else, maybe you can rent some lift bags from them that your local guy can use.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2012 at 9:25pm
I am with Joe on this sounds like a lot of fun. This project also has the makings of a great CCfan reunion. Pete in his monogrammed business shirt directing Chris with technical drawings on top of beer esky and Hollywood who has the dive suit on. Come on guys get it all on video. Hollywood loves cold water.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2012 at 10:21pm
What is this thing called ice?

BKH
Livin' the Dream

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2012 at 11:53am
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

What is this thing called ice?

BKH

Pretty sure its the stuff that goes in a Beam and Coke to keep it cool... at least thats what JBear told me!

We're not quite to ice-out yet in CT... our lake seems to be the last one in the area still hanging on. Shouldnt be long though- I went for the first boat ride of the year yesterday (remaining ice shown in the 2nd pic). With the mild winter we had, we're almost a month ahead of schedule. Ice out is usually first week of April, give or take a week.

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2012 at 2:27am
How did you get that dog to stay away long enought for the pic?

BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2012 at 5:10am
agreed...only one use for ice...mix with Beam and Diet Coke.

walked out of our regular friday night Chili's visit in a tee shirt and said to Patti..ain't this nice for the begining of March.

john

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic