Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greetings!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Oletela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oletela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greetings!
    Posted: March-12-2012 at 3:40am
First post here mainly because I picked up my first boat yesterday. 89' 2001! She is going to need a little bit of love but I couldn't not buy for what I paid, I worked on her all weekend and got to take her out for a cruise this afternoon. I rebuilt the Holley carb but am having a problem keeping it running at idle. So far the lowest I have been able to get the idle to go is 1100 without dying, I would greatly apreciate any tips yall may have. I am going to change the oil and tranny fluid this week, what would you guys recommend that I use for oil/ filter and tranny fluid?
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 7:23am
Welcome to CCfan!
The 89 is a great boat, I love mine!

As for oil, I use Valvoline VR1. There are some threads to find here with the search funtion.
I order my oil filter from Skidim. Just stay away from Fram filters...

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 7:31am
High Zinc, or zddp(? i think) is the the important factor for the cams in that vintage. I use ZR1 20w 50.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 12:14pm
AMSoil makes several high zddp oils. Also the shell rotella triple T has enough as well as the valvoline VR1. Either 15W-40 or 20w-50 will work fine depending on whats available. They used to have the valvoline at autozone.

I use a wix 51515 as it is readily available at most auto stores advanced, oriellys etc. I believe a napa gold is the same filter.

How does it run on the top end? Do you feel you are getting enough fuel? Does it accelerate properly? I would guess you have fiddled with the idle adjustment screws on the carb bowl? Where is the timing set?
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 12:41pm
Jake,
    Welcome to the forum. I guess we will be seeing each other this summer. I go to Lake Lewisville. I live in the Grapevine area. I already noticed to improvement I did two my boat speedometer and tach. Well, my tach was really faded, I made a decal that you can place on it although yours is not as bad. Also, I replace my speedometer with chemistry watch glass. They look great. The cool thing is that I still have a few lest. I can make a set for you if you want to. Also, I have an extra set of tach decals, let me know if you want one. Send me a PM if you want my number. Welcome aboard! BTW, I have an 87 similar to yours. I will try to post a picture later to this thread.

-Tony
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 1:15pm
FYI,
    This is my boat in case you see me at the lake.

nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 2:45pm
Welcome to the Site !!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 2:49pm
Great Boat, tons of fun in store.

I love the oil discussion, and if you search there will be lots of threads and opinions. Tons of information to wade through on other sites too, it has been and continues to be a "fun" research project for me.

I recently switched to Brad Penn Racing oils.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 2:55pm
I have a friend that uses Brad Penn in his Porsche 911. He highly recommended. What is your experience so far? How is the oil preassure? That's the only thing about using 20W50 VR1, the preassure is high. Most people says is ok. So far, so good with me. Just wondering.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 5:50pm
I used it all last summer in my GT40 powered Sport. The 63 ski didn't make it out on the water due to a bad strut bearing - that's a whole other issue.

In the Sport, ran great, didn't look any different then other years coming out. I also did not notice any difference in oil pressure. Usually I get the oil analyzed, but that also fell of the plate this year... So not complaints.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 11:47pm
High idle - vacuum leak?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 1:05am
Welcome Jake. Great to have another member from Texas!!
83Ski
Oletela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oletela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 3:31am
Thanks guys! I love her already, matter of fact I got out on my buddies brand new 2012 230 today and looking at it I was like yeah my little 89 may fit in the back of your boat but I can do everything you can do and you could have bought 45 of my boat for the price of yours
I spoke with the mechanic at the Nautique dealership today and his advise was to use a straight 40 for the oil of 5 quarts and 2 quarts of atf fluid in the transmission.
The top end and acceleration felt pretty normal to me yesterday, I am not sure what the timing is sitting at right now but at some point this week one of the mechanics we have at work is going to check it out with me and see if the carb needs adjusting and show me how to check the timing and set it as I am new to messing with a carb and timing. Great learning project as we go! Hopefully this coming weekend will be one spent on the water with no issues!
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 7:34am
BTW, that dashboard need a "performance engineered for" plaque...
Marty, help this man out will you
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 9:20am
Oetela, dont worry after about 10 payments he will be thinking that too, welcome
"the things you own will start to own you"
rcthorpe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcthorpe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 11:20am
skutsch- Are you running 20w50 in your '08? It sounds like the same engine in mine that calls for 40 weight.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

High idle - vacuum leak?

+ 1

Try squrting wd40 at the carb base, if rpm raises then you are sucking air somewhere...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by rcthorpe rcthorpe wrote:

skutsch- Are you running 20w50 in your '08? It sounds like the same engine in mine that calls for 40 weight.

Sorry, I should have been more clear, its Brad Penn Racing straight 40W (per the manufacturers recommendation) and its actually a 98 Sport. To be more specific the engine is a ProBoss GT40 EFI PCM 5.8HO (Ford).
rcthorpe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcthorpe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 12:25pm
Same motor I'm running in my '97. I had heard some were running VR-1 20w50 on our setup and was looking for feedback.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 12:33pm
A lot of folks do run the 20W50, usually the Rotella. The VR-1 also has adequate ZDDP (both over 1200 PPM, most consider that the minimum for flat tappet motors). I figure the 40W is what the manual says, 40W is what I will run, probably my German heritage leaking through again...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

A lot of folks do run the 20W50, usually the Rotella. The VR-1 also has adequate ZDDP (both over 1200 PPM, most consider that the minimum for flat tappet motors). I figure the 40W is what the manual says, 40W is what I will run, probably my German heritage leaking through again...

Steve, youre close! Rotella doesnt come in 20w50 (it comes in 15w40 last time I checked). I think the majority here are using the VR1 because of the higher ZDDP content. Rotella has a bit less. My fallback option is the VR1, I have been trying to get the 5qt jugs of 15w50 Mobil1 when its available.

I would not put a lot of stock in the original oil recommendations. A lot has changed in the last 15 years. Not only are there very few oils with appropriate ZDDP levels for out flat tappet cams, but multiweight oils are also much better now than they were just a few years ago. They offer better cold start up lubrication than the straight weights.
rcthorpe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcthorpe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 12:41pm
Thanks. Love the colors on your '98. Hope to get my pics of my '97 up soon. I picked it up from Northern Wisconsin over the winter.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 12:41pm
Use 40. The reason I'm using the 20w-50 is because VR1 usually can only be found in 10w-30 or 20w-50.You only need these zddp oils when you have a flat engin. e. New engines dont need that. If I had a 98 I would rather use Mobil 1 syn. Cheaper and a great oil.
rcthorpe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcthorpe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 12:46pm
I put VR-1 20w50 in this year ('97 351 EFI GT40). It sounds to me like this should be fine, probabaly switch to straight 40 for 2013/change for 2012?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by anthonylizardi anthonylizardi wrote:

Use 40. The reason I'm using the 20w-50 is because VR1 usually can only be found in 10w-30 or 20w-50.You only need these zddp oils when you have a flat engin. e. New engines dont need that. If I had a 98 I would rather use Mobil 1 syn. Cheaper and a great oil.

The Fords were flat tappet all the way to the very end in 2002.

Mobil1 is great, but make sure the grade youre using has the high zinc and phos levels if you have a flat tappet cam. The 15w50 falls into this category.

The 20w50 VR1 is a great choice. There is no reason to use a straight weight oil over it, IMHO.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 12:55pm
No idea about the Ford. Let me rephrase then,if I had
98 with a non-flat-tapped engine I would use Mobil 1. You learn every day around here.

As far as I know. The people using Rottela they only recommend straight weight 40. I read the multi grade doesn't have enough Zddp. Thats another debate. To add to your confusion, You can use favorite oil. Just add zddp. This stuff is sold separate. I don't do it because is more expensive and I have to find it. VR1 had the goods and works well for me.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Steve, youre close! Rotella doesnt come in 20w50 (it comes in 15w40 last time I checked). I think the majority here are using the VR1 because of the higher ZDDP content. Rotella has a bit less. My fallback option is the VR1, I have been trying to get the 5qt jugs of 15w50 Mobil1 when its available.

I would not put a lot of stock in the original oil recommendations. A lot has changed in the last 15 years. Not only are there very few oils with appropriate ZDDP levels for out flat tappet cams, but multiweight oils are also much better now than they were just a few years ago. They offer better cold start up lubrication than the straight weights.

Dang it Tim, you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!! Rotella is 15w40, last time I checked it did have over 1200 PPM ZDDP. As you indicated VR-1 also meets that minimimum, before I switched to Brad Penn, I was running VR-1 Racing 40W (Brad Penn is about half the price), the cold start argument is valid for the multiweight oils, but "Zie manual, zie sayz 40 VEIGHT, Vee use 40Veight!!!" If I don't my grandfather will probably rise from the grave and slap me up the side of the head

Thanks for the clarification on the Flat Tappet Fords, I was going back to double check to make sure so I didn't put another false one out there! HA!   
rcthorpe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcthorpe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 1:03pm
Same way, was prepared to dump out 5 quarts of 20w50 VR-1 with roughly 20 minutes of use. Probably going to have one eye on the oil pressure gauge all summer long...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by anthonylizardi anthonylizardi wrote:

Use 40. The reason I'm using the 20w-50 is because VR1 usually can only be found in 10w-30 or 20w-50.You only need these zddp oils when you have a flat engin. e. .

By 40 I meant multi grade. There is no reason not to.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 1:07pm
Der Teufel steckt im Detail
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic