Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Convice me, SNOB vs. Brendella

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
cojab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cojab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 2:56am
And I will look at the one for sale by the other member. I am assuming it's in the classifieds.
cojab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cojab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 2:54am
Thanks P71 and Ultra runner. Great info coming in.
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 1:51am
While I can't comment on the other brand of boat you're looking at, you will not be disappointed with the Sport. I bought a '99 two years ago and I just love it. The versatility others speak about is having a very nice wake to slalom behind, as well as a good hull for wake boarding, in addition to the storage has already been commented on. Plenty of room for 6 adults and gear, and even a few more with kids. So it's an excellent family boat.

I wouldn't get too excited about the one you're looking at with no trailer, it will likely be there. But you do owe it to yourself you look at the '93 that's for sale by one of our members. Looks like a very nice boat, and a unique color.

Good luck.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 1:08am
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

Simmer down there bk

Looks like all I had wrong was his name is Brendel, I don't think that would mislead anyone too much.

Here it's explained better and maybe you'll see why he would take responsibility. MB Sports

The Calabria info is on that page too.

Calabria got sued in the teak surfing death at Folsom Lake and had to pay out a million dollars to an idiot father who let his kid hang onto the platform and "teak surf" without any life jacket or flotation and the kid passed out from the exhaust and went under and drowned.
lawsuit calabria

I've read the article more than once, including in 2009 when it was written.
MB Sport is not the former Ski Brendella.
It makes no sense that MB would warrant a boat they did not make, but hey, if they want to, that's fantastic.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 9:39pm
I am new to the Correct Craft family having bought my first (1986) inboard last summer.

I can speak to the level of quality of CC boats. Having spent all of my summers on a chain of lakes on northern Wisconsin, I have been exposed to a vast amount of boats with varying degrees of quality. But let me tell you, nothing surprised me more than taking my Nautique on the St. Croix river (and sharing it with 40+ foot yachts) and the boat handling the waves amazingly well. The only rattle I get is from the keys...otherwise the boat is amazingly solid. The quality of my Nautique is something I had never experienced before. Even reading the manual had a level of quality about it (well, the writing) that amazed me. It's as if Walt (the founder of CC) penned it himself.

Oh...BTW...these are the kind of boats I deal with on the St. Croix river. The boat handles the waves so well, I cannot come up with the proper words to describe it, other than...quality:

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 4:10am
It's like saying I have a 93 Ski Nautique or a 93 Ski Sanger...what model is it?
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 4:06am
Also I am not sure but a 93 Ski Brendella may not have the turned down bow, I think that came later or was a different model.

93 ski brendella
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 3:28am
Simmer down there bk

Looks like all I had wrong was his name is Brendel, I don't think that would mislead anyone too much.

Here it's explained better and maybe you'll see why he would take responsibility. MB Sports

The Calabria info is on that page too.

Calabria got sued in the teak surfing death at Folsom Lake and had to pay out a million dollars to an idiot father who let his kid hang onto the platform and "teak surf" without any life jacket or flotation and the kid passed out from the exhaust and went under and drowned.
lawsuit calabria
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 3:01am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

I know 2 people with Brendellas. They are wood and their stringers seem to vaporize with rot moreso than other wood ski boats. IIRC they are known for more-often-than usual rot issues. Amazingly the guy I know with a '96 was able to send it to MB for a warranty stringer replacement last year! That's pretty incredible MFG backing.

If your friend was able to do that, fantastic. MB does boast that it has the best warranty in the business. However, I don't see why they would warranty a boat made by another company. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 2:54am
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

Brendella is a west coast boat, MB is what they are called now because they are made by Mike Brendella.
Currently MB is making some of the most wanted wakeboard boats.
Most owners seem very happy with their boats.
Go drive it and see what you think.

Not accurate. Mike Brendel separated from Ski Brendella, the company that he (along with a lot of help from his father, Irv Brendel - himself a very well known boat builder) founded. Some stories say he left. Some say he was forced out.   Who knows. It is true that he now owns operates a company called MB Sport. However, the company that was called Ski Brendella is now Calabria. They dropped the name Brendella after some litigation.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 1:59am

Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

Boats w/o trailers are hard to sell! My advice is wait it out a little bit and then lowball her when it doesn't sell right away. It is a risk but you have the upper hand! There's plenty more boats for sale and lots of desperate people trying to sell them.

I agree...when you're looking to buy, you get excited, and most sellers know it. Without a trailer, it's gonna be a harder sell, take advantage of it. $10K with a trailer seems more reasonable.   
-Adam

1973 Skier
cojab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cojab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2012 at 1:34pm
Thanks again for the replies. I've decided I'm holding out. The Brendella is a nice boat but the low bow and the wood stringers have me thinking no on that one. However if the factory is backing them and replacing them if they're bad like said above I would reconsider. The Sport is the one I really want but I'm going to hold out for 10k with the trailer.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2012 at 11:55am
I know 2 people with Brendellas. They are wood and their stringers seem to vaporize with rot moreso than other wood ski boats. IIRC they are known for more-often-than usual rot issues. Amazingly the guy I know with a '96 was able to send it to MB for a warranty stringer replacement last year! That's pretty incredible MFG backing.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Tiger76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2012 at 1:26am
I bought a 93 sport last Friday with Trailor in great condition for 10k.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2012 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

- 1993 was the first year of 100% composite construction(stringers) for nautiques...

This is true for the Ski Nautique and Sport Nautique... but may or may not be accurate for the '93-94 Excel/BFN. Not really relevant to this conversation, but just FYI!

True thanks for the reminder
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2012 at 6:53pm
Like others have said as an investment/resale in 0-10 years the CC has it hands down
MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2012 at 4:58pm
That era Bredella will be an excellent ski boat, but will have a mediocre wake board wake. Quality wont be up to that of the CC, but they certainly are not cheapo boats like a moomba.
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

1986 CC Ski Nautique 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2012 at 12:30am
Brendella is a west coast boat, MB is what they are called now because they are made by Mike Brendella.
Currently MB is making some of the most wanted wakeboard boats.
Most owners seem very happy with their boats.
Go drive it and see what you think.
This is the life
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2012 at 12:11am
Boats w/o trailers are hard to sell! My advice is wait it out a little bit and then lowball her when it doesn't sell right away. It is a risk but you have the upper hand! There's plenty more boats for sale and lots of desperate people trying to sell them.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2012 at 12:02am
I would hold out for a little while offer her 8000 or less and buy a trailer.
Just my 2 cents
The sloping front ends do look kinda of cool, if it were a closed bow, that open bow is going to get wet.
Mike
Lakedog55
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 11:57pm
NADA bites for boats... IMHO
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
cojab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cojab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 11:50pm
Thanks for the replies and keep them coming. Just so you know, I'm definitly leaning towards the Sport. Ive always heard great things about them and I really like the quality aspect of them. I knew about the composite stringers from previous research and that is why Im not really even looking at '92 and newer.
Never said anything about either of them being FI. (that I know of) I'm assuming now that the SN is carbeurated but right now Im talking with the mother of the original person I spoke with about it and she knows nothing about the mechanics of it.
I did talk to her again today and she wants to split the cost of a new trailer with me but that means the price goes up to about 12k. She says it books at 11,900 without trailer but thats not the figures Im coming up with. I need to see what extras she's adding onto the NADA.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 9:23pm
10K for a 93?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 8:36pm
Test drive the 2 and it you don't see why the CC is better then just get the ski boat ith a tandem trailer.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

- 1993 was the first year of 100% composite construction(stringers) for nautiques...

This is true for the Ski Nautique and Sport Nautique... but may or may not be accurate for the '93-94 Excel/BFN. Not really relevant to this conversation, but just FYI!
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 8:01pm
- 1993 was the first year of 100% composite construction(stringers) for nautiques... Check on the Brendella, if they are wood, its likely a several thousand dollar repair if you have the stringers done professionally. Consensus here is that its about 2k in materials to do it yourself,   and a couple hundred hours of labor.   This aspect alone would make the Nautique worth more up front to me.   Just an observation with the design...    with the Brendella, it appears that the nose slopes towards the water line a good deal.   It is VERY easy to take a roller over the bow of my nautique, and it doesnt have the dipped nose, I would be more inclined to go with the sport as it will probably keep the water out when you encounter your first wake board boat wake. Adjusting driving style is part of the game when you switch from IO or outboard to inboard, but keeping your passengers dry might keep the family from disliking the new boat    
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 7:37pm
[QUOTE=cojab] but can you guys tell me what's the pro's and cons between them. QUOTE]

To get yourself a balanced opinion,you could go to Brendellafan and ask them. Oh wait-- there isn't one Seriously tho one of the side benefits is to be able to get on here and find help. Granted they help you here with any inboard but sooner than later you'll want to be in a CC.You'd be hard pressed to find a nicer group of people.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 7:34pm
The hats worn by Brendalla owners would be enough to steer me towards the Sport Nautique:
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 7:16pm
MC actually had EFI in '93... including the multiport LT1. It was a rare option though... you dont see it much beyond the 25th Limited models (which got it standard). Thats Indmar though.

CC had been using PCM exclusively for ~10 years at that point, so I wouldnt expect that other manufacturers were getting access to their "latest and greatest" before CC... so unless CC saw the TBI motor as risky, and purposely chose to wait a year, my guess is that they would have gotten it as soon as it was available.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 7:08pm
MC had EFI in 1994. So its possible. Not that I would really list that as an advantage or worth any more HP. The guy probably googled HO fuel injected PCM and came up with the 310 for the MPFI version.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic