NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My baby got a brand new cover!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My baby got a brand new cover!
    Posted: March-18-2012 at 4:59pm
The cover is made out of a material called Top Gun which is lightweight, completely waterproof, and very durable. I also had a cover made for the swim platform out of the same material. It sounds like it's pretty durable stuff. Fits great too:

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 5:10pm
Nice looking Rig there Matt and the cover looks pretty good as well.

Uhhh, Where's the platform? Off for the winter for storage? Ive, got the removeable brackets on mine and they work fantastic. I highly recommend them.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 5:14pm
It's supposed to have a platform?

J/K...I had taken it off earlier in the day to refinish it. It wasn't too bad removing the 20 screws as the weather has been unseasonably warm and its nice to be outside, but, quick release brackets would be awesome.
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 3:52am
Matt looks great. Thanks for posting the photos, I need to get a cover for my 83. Where did you get it?
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 10:05am
That's pretty slick. Was it completely custom or did they the measurements for your boat. I'd be interested in a cover like that!
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 10:26am
Excellent fit!
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 10:38am
Nice! I really like the vents upu by the windshield. My next cover will have those for sure.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 11:41am
Matt,

Nice cover. Is it held in place by snaps?
83Ski
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 11:21pm
I hope I answer all of your questions...here we go:

1. I got the cover done by North Country Canvas in Crystal MN.

2. It's a completely custom job. I dropped it off on a Tuesday afternoon and I was called Friday AM saying that it was done.

3. It is held in [place by snaps. I already had what appeared to be snap holes under the rub rail, so we used those and added where necessary.

I'm very happy with it. Turned out great.
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 12:30am
Top Gun polyester is fantastic stuff. I have a cover for one of my sailboats made from it that is going on 10 years old and still seems to be completely waterproof and holding up well. It also breathes really well, never had any mildew issues. That boat lives outside year round with the cover on as I race it most of the winter. The cover has really stood the test of time. I would love to get a nautique cover made from Top Gun. Great looking cover!
He who dies with the most toys, wins

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 1:24am
What are the opinions of the experts out there on that same cover with a draw string and some strap loops? Do you think it would work for trailering? I don’t have snaps.
83Ski
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 12:15pm
Snaps have more attachment points, so you can generally get the cover tighter than a drawstring one... but it requires you to drill holes in the boat, obviously. No snaps for me!

A really precise trailerable cover like a Rankin or Coversports has fabric covered hooks that grab the rub rail and allow it to get really tight. They also utilize a few cinch straps for the drawstring, and several straps at the rear of the cover. This design works really well, and requires no drilling into the boat, or any support poles or straps, but theyre tedious to put on.

Unless youre trailering a lot and require a super precise, tight fitting cover, I far prefer a well made mooring cover. Much easier to put on, and if properly made, will shed water just fine with 2 support poles and a couple of bungees on either side. They can also be easily tossed on as a dust/dew/sun cover very easily if they dont need to shed water (if the boat is kept in a boathouse, covered lift, garage, or if you know its not going to rain). A really precise, tight fitting cover cant be tossed on nearly as easily... its generally "all or nothing".
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by dwcar dwcar wrote:

What are the opinions of the experts out there on that same cover with a draw string and some strap loops? Do you think it would work for trailering? I don’t have snaps.

The gentleman that made my cover did not recommend straps, etc for trailering long distances. I didn't have snaps either, he put them in when he made the cover. And because they are on the underside of the rub-rail, they are pretty concealed.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 4:55pm
I bought a trailerable cover with straps and while it was fine for short distances after 6 hours it had marked up my boat pretty good and two of the straps broke.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

I bought a trailerable cover with straps and while it was fine for short distances after 6 hours it had marked up my boat pretty good and two of the straps broke.

Many cover companies interpret "trailerable" to mean that you can tie it down... and it *probably* will stay on at highway speeds. Personally, I think thats a pretty lousy definition for the reasons you state above!

I dont have a beef with straps, per se- though theyre not ideal. If you put a twist in them, they wont vibrate much, or at all (I do the same thing with my bimini straps). The problem is that these covers, even when sold as "custom fit" are really just mooring covers. They are simply made too loose, and will never be tight enough to keep from buffeting at highway speeds. Thats just asking for cover damage or gel damage.

The only *truly* trailerable covers Ive seen have either been the Rankin/Coversports style, and certain custom made (local) covers. Ive seen people make do with mooring covers when trailering, but those that have the best luck seem to use some sort of protection between the cover and boat in key areas (towels, etc) and get them strapped down TIGHT. Personally, I just trailer with the cover off and deal with the mess later!
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Personally, I just trailer with the cover off and deal with the mess later!

This is the conclusion I have arrived at. I did more damage to my gel than any good the stupid cover accomplished. Basically its good for keeping leaves out when I take it somewhere overnite. Thats about it!!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Personally, I just trailer with the cover off and deal with the mess later!

For the most part, that's what I'll do as well. I'm so close to the St. Croix that it makes no sense to leave it on. However, when I head up north, I will cover it.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 8:44pm
My cove is a draw string cover w/2poles. I bought from Mid-West cc
(I think they sub them out) I like it but it is what it is.

Just before we pull out, the cover comes off.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

drtybrdy9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtybrdy9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 3:59pm
How much was the cover?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by drtybrdy9 drtybrdy9 wrote:

How much was the cover?

$675 + tax for the boat cover
$125 + tax for the platform cover

$858.xx for the entire thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic