NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

engine knock

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 5:22pm
Check the base timing, sounds like its advanced. You had the dizzy off and didnt recheck the timing after reinstalling it?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 5:25pm
Hard hot starting would be too much timing or bad wiring/starter.

You mentioned you have a slight bog on take off, but runs fine up top. I wonder if your distributor weights got stuck in the advanced position.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 5:33pm
actually i didn´t remove the dizzy, was able to remove the intake w/o touching it. Just had the conector unhooked.
But yes timing needs to be checked anyway.
The bog depends on how you give it gas, I you hammer it bogs a little then it catches, if you go gradually, it take off fine no bogging at all.
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2012 at 6:09pm
it was not the advance actually, the batery wasn´t charging at all, as you can see on my post I had 14v on the alternator and 12 on the batery with the engine running....
It would start cold after seating for a while, but after a few cranks it would loose power....
Today I went again to check all the conections from the alt to the breaker, it was all tight, anyway I rechecked every conection. Had to jump the batery to start the engine. Then took reading again, and now is charging. Let it warm, and did several restart and is now cranking fine.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2012 at 7:06pm
Have you actually checked your timing yet, even if you never touched it in the course of the repair it was suspected as a possible cause of the original problem ??
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2012 at 7:32pm
Not yet next time out I´ll have it timed. But prior to pulling the heads it was properly timed and checked to 10º initial. Never checked full advance curve, but I would suspect its working properly, as the dizzy is fairly new. Other than the noise it was running strong even with 7 cylinders!
I don´t have a ligth nor know how to use it so I have to take my friend to time it.
Good news i´m not seeing any water in the oil or at the plug wells.

Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2012 at 3:53am
Seb,
    On the hard start ~ If it comes back (battery / alt / timing ok)....

A bad wire connection (high resistance) will produce lots of heat. With a quick touch test, The one that that tries to burn your hand is the bad connection.
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 2:13pm
alternator wasn´t charging the battery, moved the wires, checked conections, looks like I was loosing it somewhere. Now its working fine...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic