NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Damn light grounds on trailers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Damn light grounds on trailers
    Posted: May-20-2012 at 3:38pm
Since both my 15 HP Evenrude outboards from the mid 70's are trashed (way too many hours and no compression left in them) I picked up an extremely low hour 25 HP 1994 Yamaha. Anyway, it came with a Lund 15' and of course a ShoreLand'r trailer. It also came with light electrical problems!!

I believe it was Henry Ford who, saving a nickle started the practice of using vehicle frames as a ground conductor. It always seems to be the biggest problem with trailer lights. Any corrosion on the frame, at the light mounting bolts or at the tongue connection and you have resistance. Hunting down the bad can be time consuming and always a PITA. I just start at one end and clean every connection and then assemble using dielectric grease. Compounding the problem are the lights themselves. The lamp sockets aren't even corrosion resistant!!

My other trailers have all been rewired but, they also do not rely on the frame for a ground. I wired them with a ground wire to each light.

One more hint is to never use those damn insulation displacing T taps. Solder and adhesive lined heat shrink is the way to go on any T or butt splice.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2012 at 8:39pm
I hear ya Pete. Seems like every time I am in a hurry to hit the road, there is a light out that I have to trace down the bad connection.   +1 on soldering all connections. I will have to look for the adhesive lined shrink wrap, never used that.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2012 at 11:05pm
Chris,
McMaster has a bunch of different types.

adhesive lined heat shrink On the left, click on "moisture resistant" and "standard" and all the types will come up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2012 at 11:41pm
Pete,it was also Henry who said parts left off cause no service problems I use liquid tape,putting a good amount on the soldered joint then use regular shrink wrap and wipe off the excess when thru.I never did like those 3m taps but something very similar was used at work,but single conductor wire is alot different than stranded.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2012 at 1:39am
you mean there was another method of splicing rather than 'beanies'?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2012 at 2:10am
I switched over to LED lights too Pete. Wow does that make a difference. My only trouble now, is getting a trailer plug to last longer then two years on my winter trailers (snowmobile/wood trailer/etc). I have tried dielectric grease, wrapping them in tape every time I use them. After about two years they always seem to just rot away (pins fall out or break off), any thoughts for improved longevity?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2012 at 2:23am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

you mean there was another method of splicing rather than 'beanies'?
john

You didn't forget twist and tube did you?? Where have you been?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2012 at 3:01am
yeah...twist and slip the little cotton tube over the wire...LOL!

been off for about 2 weeks...computer finally froze up. Had to get my neighbor the guru over but he had to take her home. wipe job..reload and doubled my speed. works like a charm now. good for another 10 years or so.

how's the retirement goin'?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2012 at 3:25am
The days fly by just like when you were on vacation. Now that the Mrs only has the weekends off,I don't do much around the house then so I don't cut into her time off.I can do what I need to do during the week. I'll give you a call one of these evenings.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2012 at 9:26am
Steve,
I've never had a problem with the actual trailer connections. On the truck or on the trailer itself? Maybe you got some later ones that were made in China? I do use the 7 way on the truck and then the 7 to 4 adapter when needed. I have had issues with it's connections and corrosion but some Scotch Brite and dielectric works. BTW, you can still have ground problem with LED's. They still need the 12 volts.

John,
Beanies? So, you must, like Gary have a good stock of "left over" wiring supplies too! I get the feeling Gary has a lifetime supply of wire ties.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2012 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Steve,
I've never had a problem with the actual trailer connections. On the truck or on the trailer itself? Maybe you got some later ones that were made in China? I do use the 7 way on the truck and then the 7 to 4 adapter when needed. I have had issues with it's connections and corrosion but some Scotch Brite and dielectric works. BTW, you can still have ground problem with LED's. They still need the 12 volts.

By going with LED's you remove the socket rot worry. Yes, all of mine are wired with power and ground, I never had any luck with chassis ground either.

My connector problem is on the trailer connector on the actual trailer. I am sure they are out of china, do they make them anywhere else. Guess just have to live with it...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2012 at 5:33pm
Steve,
Are you using the little rubber cap that fits over the trailer connector? I have never used them as I feel they just trap water which leads to more corrosion? The same may go with the tape you are putting on the connector when trailering?

Yes on the LED's eliminating the socket problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2012 at 6:35pm
I've had trailers that got a good enough ground off the ball itself.

I always unplug before backing into water just in case waterproof isn't totally waterproof. Hot bulb vs cold water. Not good.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2012 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

I've had trailers that got a good enough ground off the ball itself.

Kevin,
I just when through the Ohm meter exercise on the above mentioned trailer but I started at the truck itself. Yes, there have been times when in a pinch without tools and a VOM, I've relied on the ball for a ground too. In fact, part of the troubleshooting I did was to test with the trailer connected to the ball and without it connected. Getting back to the actual Ohm readings, I got plenty of resistance (I can't remember the actual figure since I was just watching the analog needle) between the ball and a decent chassis ground. The combination of the receiver mounting points/bolts as well as the poor connection of the Convert-A-Ball I use I'm sure was the issue. I just went ahead and cleaned up the ground connection in the 7 way and the 7 to 4 way adapter. That's really where I found most of the ground problem. I also reattached the ground wire to the trailer frame. I've seen way too many of them ripped off leaving the only ground path through the ball.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2012 at 10:10pm
fisher plow harnesses are still made of brass I believe, i find here in new england that those flat 4 plug (galv ?) plugs make it about a yr or two.   i followed my son the other day behind the landscape trailer and couldnt figure out why the lights god weird around turns ,, i finally figured out it was only grounded thru the ball.rusty at that.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 12:10am
I bought extra harnesses and bolt one on the trailer tongue and when I unplug from the car I plug it into that one bolted on the tongue.
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Steve,
Are you using the little rubber cap that fits over the trailer connector? I have never used them as I feel they just trap water which leads to more corrosion? The same may go with the tape you are putting on the connector when trailering?

Yes on the LED's eliminating the socket problem.

Pete, I think your right about the cap, it keeps moisture in furthering the corrosion. I have just come to the conclusion that there is nothing you can do, but replace them when they rot away and the pins start falling out.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

I bought extra harnesses and bolt one on the trailer tongue and when I unplug from the car I plug it into that one bolted on the tongue.

Marty, trailers used in the winter up here, really have a tough life.    Inevitably when you go out with a trailer in the winter you run into snow which means there is salt on the road. When you drive through that the salt (mixed in to the melted snow)sprays everything. I think the extra connector would work like a cap - but its a good idea for my summer trailers.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 6:43pm
I just finished re-working my brother-in-laws trailer receiver that now looks like dimples on a 6olfball because the chrome became completely pitted with rust from the salt. I have a single place steel snowmobile trailer that I have to sandblast or sand and repaint every three or four years (about every other time I change a connector - HA!). At least now with the LED lights I don't have to replace the light fixtures(at least not in 6 years).
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 6:45pm
Hmmm interesting that I was not able to post the above due to spam filter. Apparently the word that describes the little white ball with dimples struck with a metal hockey stick shaped thing is a no - no. Who knew??? Pretty funny!   
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2012 at 2:19am

Probably too similar to goofball. As you know, we're not allowed to be obnoxious to each other on here. Especially Pete regarding newbies!
-Adam

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2012 at 9:33am
That's interesting on the gol***** idea! I believe it was yesterday when I was trying to quote "7gol*man" in a reply. I tried 3 times and it kept on coming up as spam. I finally eliminated the quote and it when through. I was wondering how Keith got rid of all the go** spam!!

Adam,
Come on, haven't you noticed I've been real nice for months and have been doing a good job at biting my tongue?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic