NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

DIY surfboard

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY surfboard
    Posted: June-18-2012 at 10:47pm
Something I've been working on;

Waiting on my glassing supplies, should be here tomorrow.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 11:15pm
Wow, way ambitious.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 11:38pm
Looks too pretty to put in the water!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Wacko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 12:39am
Wow that looks great!!! I got to think you can buy one for less than what you have into that?
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 1:03am
Nah I'm probably spending around $400 all in. Can't get a longboard for that price. Maybe $450 but that would a machine made mass produced pop out. A board like this would start at 4x that.

Plus I'd rather surf something I made. ;-)
1978 Nautique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 9:32am
That board sure looks fantastic. I hope you are going with a clear finish on it. It would be a shame to cover up that great woodwork.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 10:59am
That looks simply awesome!!!
Pete's right... Just clear coat on it... Damn, that woodwork looks nice!

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 11:32am
Thanks, I am just doing clear over it. 2 layers of 4oz glass on the deck and 1 layer on the bottom, with Resin Research epoxy.

The cedar should really pop with with clear and the rails are cork layers alternated with ply. Those will look good with the clear on it too, I hope.
1978 Nautique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 11:34am
Mark, is that Resin Research epoxy something special with UV inhibitors? I know regular epoxy resin is not UV resistant. I cant see the pics, but it sounds like something you wouldnt want the epoxy to turn yellow or get murky over!
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 11:40am
Yeah; The CE Epoxy has an optical brightener (bluish tint) and a UV inhibitor.

Dries crystal clear. All the surfboard builders are using it if they're not using Poly.
1978 Nautique

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 4:47pm
Beautiful! How did you say you did the edges?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Mark Mel Mark Mel wrote:

Yeah; The CE Epoxy has an optical brightener (bluish tint) and a UV inhibitor.

Dries crystal clear. All the surfboard builders are using it if they're not using Poly.

Be real careful and do check out just how good the UV inhibitors are. I've run into several Cedar strip canoe builders that have had poor results. The preventative fix is to give the epoxy 4 to 5 coats of the best spar varnish available.

When you mention "poly", I take it you mean a polyester resin. Watch out for it as well since it's hygoscopic.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 5:06pm
The rails are built up using 3 layers of 1/8" cork and then a layer of 1/8" plywood. I did this for 4 layers for a total of 2". Went with all cork on the outermost layer.

I was thinking of doing a gloss coat(s) of spar varnish. I don't get to surf that much so it won't be out in the sun much so I'm still thinking if I'm going to do the varnish.

I won't be using polyester resin, it smells and hollow wood surfboard builders haven't had much luck with it at all.
1978 Nautique

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 7:27pm
foam or not foam?...lol
nice work there!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 7:33pm
No foam here. All wood, new school shape, old school materials.

I was going to do a foam board but the shipping on blanks costs as much as the blank.
1978 Nautique

MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 7:33pm
awesome
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 10:23pm
what are the comparisons of foam cored resin or epoxy coated v.s wood ? are the weights comparable? advantages disadvantages?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 11:30pm
Well, I'm certainly no expert, I wouldn't even consider myself a real surfer, but most modern boards are foam. The kids that do all the cutbacks and spins like a very light and thin board like a potato chip. Not many surf wood here.

The longboarders, mostly older will surf a hollow wood board because they like the feel and the way they float. They are also coming back for the nostalgia factor.

The weights can be very similar but a similar foam board will usually weigh less. Some don't find this a detriment in the water and prefer the way the hollow wood board floats and feels. Mine weighs 17 lbs right now without the glass - we'll have to see what the final weight is, I'm hoping under 20 lbs. Typical 9'0" foam longboard weights range from 15lbs for a lightwight to 25 - 30 lbs for a noserider.

Taken from Paul Jensen's site - his boards were an inspiration for mine.

"Imagine surfing waves on a board with a distinctive resonance in the water, similar to an acoustic guitar that has morphed into the perfect surfboard. The air core and tensioned wood skins of a hollow wood board allow for a unique energy transfer between the wave and the rider. The feeling of the wave is amplified on a hollow, it has a more alive feel. Once you’ve ridden a hollow wood board, foam boards feel dead…

A hollow wooden board feels a little heavier on land than that a foam board, but due to the board having an air core, feels lighter once it is in the water. The weight advantage of hollow board has the benefit of more momentum when paddling, catches waves easily and rides smoother. Hollow wood boards also allow you to ride further on a wave than a lighter foam board. If you are into “busting airs” you are better served with as light a board as you can find and that isn’t a wooden hollow, but if you prefer to ride smooth and flow on a wave, a Jensen Hollow Wood Surfboard is the ultimate surfing pleasure…"
1978 Nautique

C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2012 at 7:44pm
Awesome work. That will be functional piece of artwork when you're done.

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 12:19am
Very nice work. I have been looking at making one for quite some time and just never got around to it. Did you use a frame kit, patterns, or just wing it yourself?
59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 3:13am
I am so impressed by the work some of you guys do...

just beautiful Mel...don't forget the finished product pictures.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 11:16am
wow ya, put some strings on it and play it! Excellent wood working, maybe your next project could be an acoustic guitar, I may to commission one.
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 11:23am
No kit it's all DIY. I designed it in a program called Aku shaper and someone created a plug-in for it that will take that shape and export the frame template to .pdf fullsize that you can use to cut out your frame.

Quote wow ya, put some strings on it and play it! Excellent wood working, maybe your next project could be an acoustic guitar, I may to commission one.

Thanks, I am a musician and I have built tons of things, speakers, lyrics box, do my own guitar setups and repair but I have never built a guitar from scratch. It's on my list of things to build.
1978 Nautique

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Mark Mel Mark Mel wrote:

No kit it's all DIY. I designed it in a program called Aku shaper and someone created a plug-in for it that will take that shape and export the frame template to .pdf fullsize that you can use to cut out your frame.

Quote wow ya, put some strings on it and play it! Excellent wood working, maybe your next project could be an acoustic guitar, I may to commission one.

Thanks, I am a musician and I have built tons of things, speakers, lyrics box, do my own guitar setups and repair but I have never built a guitar from scratch. It's on my list of things to build.

I am also a musician, and Im a bit of a gear nut and do some basics, mostly along the lines of the electronics routes, built a few small amps and some stompboxes. I would love to build a guitar but I think I lack the woodworking skills to make something I would like. Also Im pretty so I would be worried I would spend alot of time and money and not like it.
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 4:10pm
that is cool Mark!
83Ski
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 1:52pm
Well it's glassed and glossed with the epoxy resin.

Had some trouble in the gloss coat with fish eyes, did the bottom twice, first time had fish eyes, scraped the uncured resin off. Sanded that and recoated, fish eyes again. Did the deck came out better but still some fish eyes. Going to leave it for now since I'm going to be in the Cape this weekend and I want to get it into the water. In a couple of weeks when I have time, I'm going to sand off the gloss coat and recoat with spar varnish. I've seen wooden boards done with the spar varnish and they look nice.

Here's some pics. Intentionally crappy pics to hide the irregularities in the finish.

The mark on the bottom by the tail near the finbox is a brand that says Handcrafted By My Name. I forgot I had it. My wife had the branding iron made when I was making furniture. I'd show a close up but the finish is lots of fish eyes there. The pink in the fin plugs is play dough that I haven't dug out yet.

1978 Nautique

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 1:59pm
awesome
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 2:17pm
Wow, That is absolutely beautiful. Great branding design as well, I love the "MM" shaped waves. AWESOME!
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 2:19pm
Thanks, I'll take better pics when I fix the issues that I'm not happy about.
1978 Nautique

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 2:29pm

Ha, and upon further review, I missed the subtle-ness of the overall shape of the brand (surfboard) all pulled together with the darker center board and edge boards both on the brand and deployed on the actual product - That is one of the best brand marks I have seen in a long time. Are you by chance a graphic designer - really well thought out. Its almost as impressive as the board itself!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic