NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Counter Rotating Props

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Counter Rotating Props
    Posted: July-13-2012 at 7:41pm
Not sure if we talked about this, but I think the single most innovative break through for huge underpowered gas guzzling I/O boats is the Bravo-3 counter rotating propellers out-drive.

Have we talked about why this is apparently difficult in an inboard? I really think this would revolutionize how the inboards pull stuff. I think about this mainly because I pull my show teams around a lot and need the traction so we go to multiple outboards on one boat.

I realize transmission and drive shaft would have to be quite the site so wanted to see what the hold up was from the "boat smart" people :)

Thoughts?

Yea yea I know all about the 2 or so inboards with twin screws but I'm not talking about that route. Talking about something for the normal consumer...would think if this was done it'd be a nice option on the G23 and 25...
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2012 at 7:47pm
I saw a guy that did some backyard engineering and had 2 screws coming out of his correct craft. I dont know how advantageous it was. Sounds expensive and problematic. Doubt it would be a big seller. I think the weekend warrior would have a hard time seeing the justification.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2012 at 7:48pm
how come the weekend warrior buys bravo 3's on their I/O?

I would think it would actually improve fuel consumption...motor wouldn't have to work as hard no?
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2012 at 9:22pm
i would think it would be a good idea or even a variable pitch prop .. not to thread jack here but i have been looking for a cookie cutter 24 to 26 foot family cruiser and am amazed at how many in the late 90s to 2002 boats used 5.0 motors . those are big heavy boats
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
DieselCash View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DieselCash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2012 at 11:19pm
I think mastercraft made a boat a few years back that had twin V-drive.

Anything can be done, it just depends how much money you have.
1992 Sport Nautique
Infinite5ths View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Infinite5ths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2012 at 11:22pm
Didn't Volvo do the double-prop on an out-drive thing (Volvo DuoProp) YEARS ago?? What makes the Bravo III a big deal?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic