NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

You didn build that !

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7273747576 79>
Author
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2013 at 10:21am
It wasn't really a robbery, just social justice without the middleman.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2013 at 6:58pm
Here is one you don't see every day. I saw this on the road yesterday. I had to take a few risks to get the pic, but it was captured without incident!

For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2013 at 7:57pm
definitely worth the risk
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2013 at 9:15pm
That's awesome
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2013 at 11:47pm
I have to admit, the guy does have an ability to inspire people !
1987 Ski Nautique

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2013 at 1:42am
Obviously inspired by a truck seen in northern Wisconsin around the time of the GL reunion.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2013 at 2:12am
John, What were you doing with the lumber in the back of your truck?

Making a tower for the Mustang?

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2013 at 10:35am
Hey, its a picture of the leader of the Republican party!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2013 at 10:11am
To quote R.E.M. "It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine." One has to question why the government is providing and taxing for non-essential services in the first place?
1987 Ski Nautique

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2013 at 3:26pm
I am fortunate to have visited North Cascades, Glacier, Yellowstone, and Grand Tetons national parks over the past three weeks. This would have thrown a wet blanket on my vacation.

ncdoubleup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncdoubleup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2013 at 8:52pm
This is one that someone sent us the other day.

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2013 at 10:30pm
classic
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2013 at 12:04am
Originally posted by ncdoubleup ncdoubleup wrote:

This is one that someone sent us the other day.

Be careful, you have fallen for our secret plan to eliminate you all!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2013 at 12:28am
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

I am fortunate to have visited North Cascades, Glacier, Yellowstone, and Grand Tetons national parks over the past three weeks. This would have thrown a wet blanket on my vacation.

As I work my 60 hour weeks to scrape and paying ever increasing taxes. I am always comforted knowing the dollars I pay in are keeping john from having a wet blanket vacation.

You really don't need staff to enjoy our parks. In fact you can have a great time despite them.

'Greatest generation' veterans sweep past barricades at memorial in their honor
1987 Ski Nautique

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2013 at 1:41am
Hi Dave,
First off let me thank you again for your generosity at the GL reunion. I enjoyed meeting you, your son, and the family pup, and it was a pleasure to get a ride in your boat.
I really don't know why you seem angry that I had an enjoyable vacation visiting our national parks on the way home from visiting my daughter. I feel for the people who have spent their savings on a dream vacation to one of our national parks only to find them shuttered.
May I remind you that I worked many years of 60, 80, and even 100 hour weeks before I retired so I could pay for my children's education and put some money into my IRA and savings, and I have actively invested that money to get a return that can support some of my activities. I shared some of my views on investing this thread. While many were criticizing the government for supporting alternative energy and investing in some of the technology companies involved I embraced the technology. It has proven to be a much better strategy than "drill baby drill".

I have trouble understanding how your money supports my vacation.
I made a few of my investment selections clear to all with these posts. This is how I pay for my retirement.

Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

Obama's 90 billion dollars on green energy is one example. AND THEY ALL WENT BANKRUPT.   

This is the kind of bankrupt everyone wants!

The Department of Energy invested $465,000,000 in Tesla in October 2011. At that time it would have bought 18,637,274 shares, since stock was trading at $24.96

Today that stock is worth $689,579,138

Department of Energy profit of $224,579,138.

Solar City, another company the Department of Energy invested in with a loan of $275,000,000, went public in December 2012 at $11.00 Two months later the stock closed at $15.63, up 42% in 60 days, I'll take that.

Department of Energy profit = $115,000,000.

There are others as well, but these are the only ones I have positions in. There is always a great deal of risk in small cap new technology, but the rewards can be great as well. Everyone picks a big loser sometimes, and you don't have to pick more winners than losers either, just have a big winner come along once in a while. The risk was especially high with some of these given the time frame the purchase was made, with an election just on the horizon..

As a wise man on this site once said, "Do what you always do, get what you always got". Few people were ever exceptionally successful relying on an old business model. You have to think of the next thing.

And here is my follow up to that post.

[QUOTE=john b] I had to revisit this post. As I said back in January I invested in those terrible companies that all went broke under O'bama. This post in January is more true today than ever.
How are these companies of the future doing now? Just check if you haven't been following the business news. Too bad we didn't support Solyndra a bit longer. They went out of business and now we are forced to buy our solar panels from China for the booming solar business.
O'bama, a visionary. How's your oil stock doin on that "drill baby drill" platform?

[QUOTE=skicat2001]

Obama's 90 billion dollars on green energy is one example. AND THEY ALL WENT BANKRUPT.   

This is the kind of bankrupt everyone wants!

The Department of Energy invested $465,000,000 in Tesla in October 2011. At that time it would have bought 18,637,274 shares, since stock was trading at $24.96

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2013 at 1:47am
Oh, one more thing, in reviewing the posts to find my old post I found a post by 62wood shows without a doubt that Steve is the first one here to post a photo with the caption "does this a** make my truck look big" and Obama's face is on it.

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2013 at 3:07am
John,
I cant take credit for that bumper sticker. (altho I wish I could :) I just happened to post it first.

A lot of humor is at the expense of others... sometimes that hits a nerve. I think a lot of the posts in this marathon thread have been out of frustration... and maybe a bit of jealousy.

There area lot of things I get frustrated over ... I'm 59 and look at my retirement funds (actually lack thereof) and could cry... after all, I did everything "right". Started saving and investing early in life, only to see it mostly wiped out by circumstances I had nothing to do with.

Pam and I have worked our azz off to build a small business (which "O" reminded me "We didn't build that.. someone else did" .. funny, I go into work at 6:30 most mornings. I never see "someone else" there?).

We started our business in 1986 ... and had one 10 day vacation in the first 15 years. Then we were finally able to hire an employee. He was there almost 6 years. Pam and I were actually able to take a couple of weeks of vacations EACH year! WOW! this is great!!! THEN the economy hit the skids. (btw, I didn't do that..."Someone else did that:(

It's back to just her and I. No more "frivolous" vacations. Now we actually close the doors of the business when we want a few days off to do silly things, like go to Green Lake. Kind of hard to have any income when the doors are closed. Not sure we will ever see another "week" vacation...

My health insurance rates have almost doubled in the last few years (What is so "Affordable" in this act?) Just went to dentist- xrays, cleaning and 360 bucks lighter, I'm back on the street... btw, the doc says I need almost 800 bucks worth of work sometime in the near future.... don't wait up doc... My insurance doesn't cover this.

I am completely embarrassed with pretty much ALL of these so called "public servant" politicians and the way they act. They are soooooo far out of touch with what the average Joe is doing to survive. What a JOKE.

On a lighter note, there are a few positives...

I still think we live in the greatest nation on earth. (altho I am VERY concerned with the direction it is going... mainly for my grandkids)

I'm still am able to buy gas for my boat. (good teeth are over rated, right?)

We rarely "go out" to eat. (gotta buy gas for the boat, you know?!)
   but We still have food on the table.

I come home to a house that the majority of the worlds population would think a king lives in.

I am free to worship on Sunday mornings. (somehow, that's not as popular with the general masses as it used to be)

and finally, we can all express our sometimes silly thoughts and beliefs on public forums without being thrown in jail. (I hear rumours they are working on changing that?)

Anyway, I gotta get some shut eye... 5:30AM comes pretty quickly. ( maybe "someone else" will finally show up at work tomorrow morning?)

Cheers my friend.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2013 at 9:41am
John, I hope you know that I genuinely enjoyed meeting you at green lake.

I think you miss-understand what I was saying about the parks. I will defend to my death your right to enjoy a vacation during your hard earned retirement. I just thought it a little curious that of all the things government should be doing, when you looked at how its shut down might effect you a closed park was the problem. I have a new analogy for the government, and it shows the very reason our founders choose to place strict limits on government. Government by its very nature is like the little old lady who swallowed the fly and then wrongly thinks she will die. the story goes on with baby steps to remedy the problem (swallows a spider to eat the fly) until she swallows a horse and dies of course.

With the parks a president decided we needed to buy the parks to preserve the natural wonders. (I don't know why we bought the parks). then we had to build roads though the preserved wilderness (a little ironic)so the people could go in and see what we preserved in the parks (I don't know why we bought the parks), after all they paid for it. next we had to build paths for the people so they would not trip in the wilderness of the parks (I don't know why we bought the parks). Then we had to build lodges and campgrounds to house the people that were walking the paths in the parks (I don't know why we bought the parks). Then we had to build interpretive centers to fight boredom and explain the wilderness to the people in the campgrounds and lodges in the parks (I don't know why we bought the parks). Then we had to give government pensions to the campground workers in the parks (I don't know why we bought the parks)Then we had to make the the pristine wilderness we saved with by buying the parks handicap accessible (I don't know why we bought the parks). Bigger must have projects will continue to come along (we will go broke of course).

And this is just one teeny little piece of the non-essential budgets we pay for everyday. And then they complain that they don't have enough money to pay for cops, teachers and roads. That makes me a little angry. Our founders saw all this coming and put our inspired constitution in place to prevent it, but we as a society have chosen to ignore and pervert the very document that made us exceptional to become more like those that are not!

Ok now I am late for work. Have a great day!
1987 Ski Nautique

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2013 at 11:37am
Rmemeber Dave, visiting our national parks is not free. They are supported at least in part by user fees. The annual pass I bought costs $80 per person. Campsites are $20 per night X 2000 sites, and cabins are pretty pricey. If all visitors to Yellowstone (3,447,000 in 2012) bought passes that would be $275,760,000 per year in passes alone. The entry fee, campsite fees, souvineers, donations, and shopping offset the cost to run the park. Many of the roads and improvements in our parks were built by the CCC workers.
These parks are a national treasure and I posted a few cell phone photos be ause i am impressed with their beauty no matter how many times I have visited. BTW visitors are welcome to use the government provided ramps to launch a boat and enjoy a spin around the lakes in many of the parks.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2013 at 11:56am
I don't know about the parks out west, but Arcadia National Park in Maine was mostly donated land by wealthy people like the Rockefellers.

There's a lady in Maine that has acquired 10's of 1,000s of acres with the intention of donating it to a national park, if one can be formed. Very controversial idea, but when you look at those beautiful parks out west, I don't see how it wasn't smart that the Feds acquired that land before it was developed.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2013 at 12:53pm
It’s a democracy and funny it seems Americans want national parks even at the exorbitant rate of almost 10 dollars per American per year. To think that some old guys 200 plus years ago tried to protect us from national parks is silly, not true, and even if it was who cares what they thought it was 200 hundred years ago when unsettled land was everywhere and the many ways we destroy the planet had mostly yet to be invented. That’s why they voted in a constitution that could be changed. I don’t know how anyone lucky enough to have been born in the USA can have an attitude like … man I lived to a hundred and payed like a thousand dollars and never visited none of those freaking waste of money parks… damn government. Well boo hoo you drank cleaner water and breathed cleaner air because they existed. A national park can only be accomplished by the federal government and therefore it is exactly what the federal government should be doing.   

Steve I would be interested in hearing how you do when you check the exchange for health insurance costs, so far in NY most of my self employed friends are finding real coverage available at considerably less than what they were paying for catastrophic care insurance.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2013 at 1:16pm
My daughter, a start up business owner, has visited the exchange and has found that the platinum plan costs less than she is now paying for basic hospitalization. She had to send in one more payment to the bloodsuckers to cover her until Obamacare kicks in. She didn't buy yet, just priced the policy. Maybe she will save enough to hire her third employee!

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2013 at 2:29pm
Joe,
From what I gathered yesterday the IL site was not working properly / overloaded. (Imagine that something with the IL government not working properly... ) Sometime, I will check it out for sure. Havent had a lot of time to see how it works... sounds like good ol subsidies based on income?

John,
Your daughter was able to get an account set up already? Is she in IL?
if I can be nosey, what type of business is she in?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2013 at 3:04pm
Fashion design / patterns
This is the daughter who LOVES classic boats and can't wait to have the Mustang running and in the stable of usable boats.
Grainline Studio

Hound Design

skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2013 at 3:17pm

I think I broke my horn...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2013 at 3:44pm

Thank goodness!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2013 at 4:59pm

Now your just another Obama hating honky!

1987 Ski Nautique

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2013 at 7:24pm
Interesting that "The Marketplace" has had to shutdown for some fixes already. Not too many people got through in week 1. They have had three years to prepare for this. This thing appears to be a disaster already.

Based on reports on the news, premiums, on average, are WAY up, and deductibles are sky high ($5K-$6K). Not exactly affordable, and not exactly good policies for most.   Interesting the govt isn't releasing any data on how many people actually bought AFFORDABLE health insurance. Maybe week 2 will go more smoothly!?!? I am sure it will. They are fixing the computers this weekend.

It makes me wonder that if premiums and deductibles are too high, if young healthy people will just self insure, and pay the fine.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2013 at 1:27am
MNCare, Minnesota's state run health exchange is off to a stellar start. A month ago they emailed out (honest mistake) a list of 2000 insurance brokers personal information including names, addresses and social security numbers, But I am sure we can trust them with the confidentiality of our medical information. They are also under fire for their spending of the 4 million dollar allowance for navigator companies. they funded planned parent hood and a company founded by a democrat insider 2 days prior to the application cut off, but neglected to fund groups to help low income customers. they had to fork out an addition 3/4 million above the budget to remedy that.

Day one of operation they could not get the site up for the first 8 hours. After some internet protocol viagra they claim to have 50,000 hits (who knows how many misses)this week but only managed to get 5000 accounts registered and will not say how many actually purchased insurance. Its like watching a slow motion train wreck.

1987 Ski Nautique

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2013 at 11:22am
Dave....Just give this thing a chance. It's a lot like Apple's new operating system. They had a glitch, and they fixed it right away. I am sure the IRS will get this thing fixed immediately. I bet next week this is going to be exactly like logging onto Amazon.com and buying a color tv. You just watch and see!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7273747576 79>
  Share Topic