Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

You didn build that !

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7576777879>
Author
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2013 at 12:57am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Does anyone else wonder where all the (I assume thousands) of shut down signs come from?

Laser printers I think, mostly. I did a quick image search and didn't see more than a few that looked like the one in your photo. Most of the ones there look like they were made by local officials, or at most, are from some stock pdf that was sent by a specific dept/division, e.g. the Park Service. Unless you have evidence that there are in fact thousands of identical high quality signs all over the country in considerable advance of the shutdown, I'd say your ideas are heading quickly into conspiracy theory. Which I guess was your point, but I don't think there is good evidence to go there yet, and I'd stop assuming anything. If you do have more evidence, please share.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2013 at 1:22am
I wasn't really thinking conspiracy... just find it ironic how quickly this was done. I know its not federal, but I have still not received the registration back for my 73 SN. I sent it in May....today I checked the IL DNR site, they are 22 WEEKS behind. Twenty Two weeks!????

If we are so much as a day late with any of our paperwork, you can expect a penalty.   Can you say "double standards"?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2013 at 1:34am

I sent it in May....today I checked the IL DNR site, they are 22 WEEKS behind. Twenty Two weeks!????

If we are so much as a day late with any of our paperwork, you can expect a penalty.   Can you say "double standards"?

22 weeks to get trailer tabs, but dead guys can register to vote same day!
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2013 at 1:38am
Yikes Steve, that is unbelieveable! They used to be very fast. My experence at the SOS offices here has been very good recently. I wonder whats up with the DNR? Did they cash your check? I have transferred all of my boat regs to WI. and have had very fast and courteous service from them. Same thing with the WI DMV. I don't get it.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2013 at 1:41am
I saw that recently Steve,I just got my paperwork from N3 to send in so I was checking out what to do. I'll bet they cashed your check ---
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2013 at 4:56am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I'll bet they cashed your check ---

Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner!! They did cash the check, but just for the sales tax portion. ( not for the registration).

To take it a step farther, This is the 2nd time I sent the paperwork in. IL allows a "whopping" 2 weeks to send the registration in after buying a boat.

I had originally sent the paperwork in a year ago, June 2012. I got that back the 1st week of October (a year ago) with a letter that stated the PO's wife also needed to sign the title. The PO has a living trust(where one spouse can sign on behalf of the other) So, he sent me a copy of the trust. I highlighted that portion of the trust and sent it back with the re-applied registration. Now, I get to see if they accept that, or still insist on the wife signing the title.

BTW, (after the d*ckz cashed the tax check), I had to get a copy of the back side of that check from the bank and send the copy back in with the re-applied registration to prove I had already paid the tax.

What a joke......

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2013 at 5:16am
I think I know the hold up.
It is my understanding that a living trust only controls property used to fund the trust, and is valid principally in matters of probate. If the boat title does not list the trust as owner, but instead lists the individuals as owners the trust holds no power over that asset. I believe you need a notarized power of attorney showing the signer has power to dispose of jointly owned property.
You may want to call the DNR or consult an attorney. Government agencies are reluctant to transfer legal ownership of jointly owned property without both owners signatures for obvious reasons.
Vehicle transfer requires seperate payment to the DNR or SOS and the Illinois Department of Revenue be ause the two departments are autonomous.

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2013 at 5:28am
John,
I don't have the trust in front of me, (it was last May since I looked at it)but the wording states something to the effect that one spouse can act on behalf of the other spouse in any type of legal transaction.

That aside, 22 weeks!??? they probably haven't even looked at it yet.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2013 at 5:52am
That sounds like a power of attorney for property. If the boat is titled in the name of the trust you must execute and submit this form
Statement of trust

If the owner who signed has power of attorney for property you must submit this form:

Power of attorney

Your paperwork is probably in the legal department waiting for an opinion / decision.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2013 at 6:01am
That power of attorney form i linked is just an example granting the DNR power of attorney for property. You need a similar form granting the one seller power of attorney for property of the other who did not sign.
I hope that helps. I think you are going to get it back again.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2013 at 6:15am
Dave, according to a spokesman from IL DNR they were 4 months behind on 10/06/13. There may not be a problem other than that.
Article

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2013 at 8:59am

I wasn't really thinking conspiracy... just find it ironic how quickly this was done. I know its not federal, but I have still not received the registration back for my 73 SN. I sent it in May....today I checked the IL DNR site, they are 22 WEEKS behind. Twenty Two weeks!????

Sent mine for the woody in June Steve , nothing yet but they did cash my check about a month ago!
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2013 at 10:09am
Don't give them ideas about a "woody" tax. If they can find a way to tax us before we get out of bed in the morning they will. I can imagine Obama trying to say "You didn't build that!"

Robbing Peter to pay Paul.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2013 at 11:31pm
President Obama has promised people who liked their current doctor and health-care plan would be able to keep it as the Affordable Care continues to get implemented, but that’s proving not to be the case for many Americans.

The wisdom of Naked Eyes!

Never had a doubt
In the beginning
Never a doubt
Trusted too true
In the beginning
I loved you right through
Arm in arm we laughed like kids
At all the silly things we did

You made me promises promises
Knowing I'd believe
Promises promises
You knew you'd never keep
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2013 at 10:37am
With the passing of Nelson Mandela (great man who's passing deserves acknowledgment for sure), It will be interesting to watch and see Obamas response, remembering that he set a precedent when he stiffed England and did not send a presidential delegation when Prime Minister Thacher passed away. If he or Biden attend this funeral it will be a major insult again to England as well as a strong statement about this administrations partisanship.   
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2014 at 11:42am
I heard Obama might be named to the US ski team. They say no one has ever taken a country downhill faster!
1987 Ski Nautique

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2014 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

I heard Obama might be named to the US ski team. They say no one has ever taken a country downhill faster!

US marks 4 straight years of slowing health care costs

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2014 at 9:27am
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

US marks 4 straight years of slowing health care costs

Check out the workforce partocipation rates under "O". Funny how people spend less on everything when they don't have jobs. The article also.projects a 6 percent inflation rate in 2014 which erases the 4 years of "slowing".

Now lets talk deficit spending.

1987 Ski Nautique

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2014 at 1:55pm
Isn't it funny how Obama is now pushing the "fair shot" and "income inequality" crappola. I wonder if anybody has whispered to him that his policies have been in place for the past five years, and he has caused this. So, he creates the problem, and now he will solve it?!? REALLY!!!

If the economy under Obama is so good, why are they trying to pass "emergency" legislation to continue unemployment benefits.

Probably Bush's fault!   
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2014 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

Isn't it funny how Obama is now pushing the "fair shot" and "income inequality" crappola. I wonder if anybody has whispered to him that his policies have been in place for the past five years, and he has caused this. So, he creates the problem, and now he will solve it?!? REALLY!!!

If the economy under Obama is so good, why are they trying to pass "emergency" legislation to continue unemployment benefits.

Probably Bush's fault!   

Probably Bush's fault!   

Pretty much. The legacy of two wars, a financial meltdown, and financial mismanagement have a long horizon.
The stock market has doubled, unemployment is down, one war has been ended, we made money on the government loans that rescued what little manufacturing we have left, the increases in medical care costs have slowed and insurance companies can no longer exclude people with pre-existing conditions, consumption of oil is down, the alternative energy market is booming, space exploration has been privatized and it appears to have a bright future, and our political system has prevailed, the people have spoken with their votes, you just happen to have lost. I am happy as a pig in poop!

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2014 at 3:26pm
John....I shall always cherish my memories of having smores and beer at the camp fire with you, Dave and Hansel at GL this past summer, but......

Financial Meltdown: At the root of the problem were bad mortgages given to people who couldn't afford them as part of a govt initiative/mandates to banks. The housing industry collapsed, and dragged everything down. Thank you liberal economic policies/social justice.

Stock Market Doubling: You got me on this one. I appreciate that it has, BUT, it has been fueled by Quantitative Easing (QE 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,6, etc, etc). People pour easy money into the highest return assests....stocks. Inflation hangover coming down the road. A major component of Income Inequality (which is the Left's new talking point. And, it has been caused by their own policies.     

One War Ended: Al Quaeda has re-taken Felujah, and Ramadi(sp) in Iraq. I thought Al Quaeda was decimated. Hmmmm! Interesting. We should have left a large contingent in place to protect our gains.

Healthcare Costs Down: The govt paying providers less (will cause doc shortages in the future), and a sour economy causing people to put off non emergency procedures. The HC system starting to look like Medicaid. We are only a week into O-care. Let's talk a few months down the road. Insurance industry bailout just around the corner.

Alternative Energy Booming: Say WHAT??? What you smokin' Willis? You must mean carbon based energy boom....as in North Dakota where the unemployment rate is ~3% and McD's workers knocking down $100K.

Voters: Who wouldn't vote for Santa Claus? Food stamp usage and Social Security disability roles sky rocketing. Can you say Gov't Dependency? Sure you can! Let's talk in November. You may want to say bye bye to the Senate.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2014 at 3:44pm
Hey, I had a great time at GL too. This thread can be a hoot! We have so many things in common to enjoy. our differences can be interesting to share as well. We all have opinions on issues and I would feel deprived if others views weren't shared. I hope no one mistakes my disagreement on issues as anger.
With that said, what gains in Iraq? We have created a power vacuum in the Middle East that has empowered the unruley folks to carry out their plans. We once had a very wise president who recognized that he needed to expel Iraq from Kuwait but also recognized that if be killed the leader and destroyed the government and infrastructure it would create a power vacuum that we would be obligated to address for decades. In this instance the acorn fell far from the tree and we will be paying the price for years to come.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2014 at 7:37pm
It is so cold with the polar vortex that Obama was seen with his hand stuck in HIS OWN pocket today.
1987 Ski Nautique

Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2014 at 2:39am

John....I shall always cherish my memories of having smores and beer at the camp fire with you, Dave and Hansel at GL this past summer...

For sure! Looking forward to a repeat of this someday in the hopefully not too distant future.

Happy New Year to you guys, and Dave give my best to Tom.

I'm a little out of shape for these debates at the moment, but just to even the score I'll throw my weight behind John
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2014 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Hansel Hansel wrote:

John....I shall always cherish my memories of having smores and beer at the camp fire with you, Dave and Hansel at GL this past summer...

For sure! Looking forward to a repeat of this someday in the hopefully not too distant future.

Happy New Year to you guys, and Dave give my best to Tom.

I'm a little out of shape for these debates at the moment, but just to even the score I'll throw my weight behind John

Hansel.....Out of shape!?!?! Aren't you working in the carbon based oil fields of North Dakota, and doing your fair share to contribute to global warming, or is it climate change? You should be in great shape! Good to hear from you. I will tell Tom you said Hey! I sure enjoyed that day we all skied or boarded at GL. I know you must have been very impressed with my combo skiing ability.

Hope you are doing well up in the Dakotas!

PS: Please tell me you have a LITTLE disagreement with John's statement that alternative energies are booming!! I thought they were all going bankrupt having to compete without suckling from the teet of govt.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2014 at 12:18pm
Keep thinking that David.
Go back to last October in this thread and see what alternative energy stocks I chose. Here is how a few of those ETFs that are going broke have performed over the last year:
SCTY- up 299%
SPWR- up 328%
FSLR- up 67%
Powr- up 127%
And my favorite, Tesla, TSLA, up 334%

How's that BP and XOM performing for you? Must be really good since they are "booming" in the Dakotas.
XOM- up 17%
BP PLC- up 16%
If this is what going broke looks like I hope they keep on going broke!!!

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2014 at 1:04pm
John....I sure wish I owned the stocks you provided, but in my humble opinion, those will prove themselves to be flashes in the pan as we look back on them in the decades ahead. I invest in stocks for the long haul, and typically don't make bets on short term plays. But, a lot of guys make big money doing it. And, a lot of guys lose their arses doing it too.

Stocks like BP, or other more traditional oil stocks, have stood the test of time over many decades. So, their growth rates are not reflected in the quick snapshot of a relatively short term stock price. Can you imagine what thier share prices would be if you condensed that price into a one year period based on 100 years of price performance.

In fact, I believe AlGores family made a HUGE amount of money investing in Occidental Petroleum. When Al's old man died, he passed that fortune on to Jr. Why couldn't my dad have invested in Occidental.

I sure hope we someday find a truly viable alternative energy source to oil. I am not sure wind mills, and solar panels, are it. We will still need coal, oil, and gas for decades to come. I think one day, a private entrepruenur will find the magic key to a truly viable energy source, and he will become fabulously wealthy.   

Regardless, many of these alternative energy companies have gone belly up when govts lifeline is pulled off. You have managed to find a few who's stock price has done well. In fact, I think you missed your calling. You should be a stock broker   
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2014 at 2:24pm
It is indisputable that there are not enough energy reserves on the planet to sustain the status quo. Any fledgling industry has vulnerabilities. Rationalizing that the rate of growth in one year should be compared to the 100 year horizon in oil makes no sense unless you have access to a time machine. To assume that historical rates of return are in any way connected to future growth is fallacy.
Historically most of the big advances are offshoots of government investment. The telegraph, railroads, highways, aircraft industry, space travel, computer technology, the Internet, electric grid, infrastructure, national defense, airports, and so many other things we enjoy today.
This planet is quickly running out of oil and the price will reflect that the supply is unable to keep pace with demand. We have bad a taste of this with the price of oil already. Compared in 2009 dollars (the last year I can easily do this without a lot of math) the price of oil in 1930 was about $10/ barrel. It remained at this benchmark with fluctuations until 1970 when it was still priced at $10/ barrel, a 40 year history. In the next 40 years the price increased from $10 to $107 today. With the financial strength and development of China, India, and other countries expect this to continue exponentially.
I was offered a position with a company that directs municipal retirement funds, but after a short time decided I wanted nothing to do with the business. Financial advisors, brokers, and those in the money biz are doing nothing more than taking your money to make wild-ass guesses based on the past, which in most cases is no longer relevant, or using an algorithm to predict the flow of money from one ETF or commodity to another. They always get their percentage regardless of the road they lead you down.
I would never put all of my money in one industry but I feel energy is a good place to have some, along with 3D printing.
Remember, never follow my lead, I am just as crazy as the next guy, maybe much crazier!!!

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2014 at 3:20pm
The Govt, no doubt, has done a lot of good over the years. My concern is that now it is way over-stepping its bounds, and has become much heavier-handed than in the past. It is growing like crazy. DC is the richest zip code in the US, and they don't make, or produce anything there. They just take our money and live high on the hog, and redistribute it. They are putting too many people in the cart, and fewer and fewer people are pulling the cart. O-Care isn't about getting people healthcare. Its about putting people under its control. More people have lost insurance than gained it with this magnificent scheme.

Energy....we have one of the richest reserves of it right here in the US. But, we don't have the brains to tap into like we should, and really take advantage of the resources we have. Why won't Obama approve the Keystone pipeline? That could produce tens of thousands of jobs and create new businesses. He seems much more interested in adding people to the unemployment lines, the food stamp lines, and the disability lines. We should be putting people to work, and not on the govt dole. I think we have a lot more energy right under our own feet than you think. Hard to say how long, but, I don't think the tank will be empty in 30 years.

Stocks/Investents....I agree with you. I am an index guy, and will not pay some high priced fund mgr. 5-10% to "manage" my money. Just good old, well diversified, index funds. Very low cost, and the indexes normally outperform active mgrs. over the long haul. But, it is fun to play with some ETF's, or speculative stocks. Kind of like a trip to the casino every so often. You can do REALLY REALLY well, or.......!!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2014 at 3:52pm
I agree David, index funds rule. I like the Vangard funds because of their incredibly low management fees among other things.
There will be oil in 30 years but how about 50, and at what price? Canada's economy is still very strong, partially because they manage their government better than ours. With all of the oil reserves there the multi national companies involved in the industry have a heavy presence. If it was cost and environmentally effective to refine their bitumen don't you think Canada would do so and cut us out of the deal? Why ship your reserves to the US for a little value added fee? Because Canada is wise enough not to give the oil companies a free ride on the Canadian government dollar. That oil is not destined for our market, we already have more refining capacity than we need. The oil refiners just want to take advantage of their excess capacity by having the government secure the right of ways for the pipeline and allowing all of the pollution and risk involved in transporting the bitumen across active geogical areas known for small tremors and volcanic activity. The EU does not allow the importation of the bitumen because it is so environmentally damaging, and that is assuming you dont have a spill. The oil is destined for China. Don't we learn from the past? Exxon Valdez, BP gulf spill, spill into the Yellowstone River a year or two ago? How many jobs are sustained by the alaska pipeline? In the 70s that was going to be the answer to our oil addiction. The result? About 8,000 jobs today. Here is a good article on the XL by Forbes:
Pipe Dreams, the XL pipeline

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7576777879>
  Share Topic