NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gel Coat Repair product and oxidation

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 9:05pm
I think its kind of a secret he's slowly leaking pictures to the media
This is the life
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 8:10pm
did i miss something ? did you buy a boat?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 7:48pm
I´m with you andy!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 7:33pm
yep all those gel chips are cosmetic. whats nice is you can fix them...or not...one of the beautiful things about owning a boat that has some use marks is that when your son or wife or friend bangs the dock or something you do not need to have a coronary.

I've owned nice new and expensive and its much more nerve racking and less FUN.
This is the life
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 6:44pm
Just got my new Flex rotary buffer in the mail yesterday.

I am waist deep in the buffing / detailing study. I've been reading everything I can find on CCfan / Autogeek / thehulltruth.

I found these two threads helpful

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/396344-oxidized-gelcoat-makeover-pics.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/boat-rv-detailing/45845-what-do-i-need-use-buff-magic-pro-polish-my-boat.html
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 6:18pm
That oxidation isn't bad at all. No need to wetsand. Start with some 3M Super duty and a rotary with a wool pad (use a good pad, it makes a difference, don't buy the cheap ones from Harbor Freight,etc). Then follow up with 3M Finesse It using the rotarty and a good foam pad. You can take it a step further and then use 3M Perfect It. Then put your new decals on. Then you are ready to wax. Many here, including myself prefer Colinite #925 fiberglass boat wax.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 5:20pm
Joe, the ones you initially linked to, seem to be pre-tinted?

I just mention that because it looks like you're pointing to white gel and I didn't see plain white.

And oh yeah, when did you get your boat?
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 5:11pm
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=4138&familyName=Boat+Polishing+Kit
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 5:04pm
3m line

I have used yacthbrite products as well, and have been pleased with the results.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 5:03pm
yes 3m makes a good line of products, I would get yourself a good power buffer too. Rubbing compound with a course wool pad and then a wax/polish with a fine pad. Many videos on youtube on buffing gelcoat. If its really bad you will need to wetsand some first then buff and polish.

Any patch that matches your color would work, there was another thread asking about patch kits today as well. Some come with different tints so you mix to match the color yourself. ( I dont see what wood stringers have to do with anything?) Gel coat is gel coat.
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 4:57pm
Since I have wood stringers, would any of these products be good enough for this damage? Is leakage a possibility?

Also, what would be needed to remove this oxidation? Just rubbing compound?
1997 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic