Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dripless shaft seal or NOT?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
boeing777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boeing777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dripless shaft seal or NOT?
    Posted: February-15-2013 at 12:54am
I am contemplating the idea of replacing my old worn out stuffing box on my 1979 Nautique with a Dripless version? Doe anybody have feed back if this is a good idea or not? I have heard mixed results about dripless.   Also, since it is a new project of mine can anyone give me a few techniques, shortcuts, special tools or things to watch out for? I think my Shaft is a 1" diameter (in need of confirmation of diameter) so I can order a new stuffing box unit!

Thanks......
boeing773
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2013 at 11:54am
I have one on my Tique and have had great results
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
jbach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2013 at 1:49pm
my question would be why? i can somewhat understand on a V-Drive that is a real pain to get to for maintenance but isn't your packing gland fairly easy to get to? it's hundred year old technology that works pretty well. i repacked mine with the goretex variety, check it every now and then, but it is virtually dripless. a few drips a minute.
boeing777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boeing777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2013 at 4:11pm
I have to replace the stuffing box anyway (threads are worn out, lock nut won't even stay in-place it just wobbles). So I just figure, since I have to go to all the work of dismantling the shaft to put a new stuffing box in, I just thought to spend a little extra and get a dripless that takes a little more of the worry out!
boeing773
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2013 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by boeing777 boeing777 wrote:

I have to replace the stuffing box anyway (threads are worn out, lock nut won't even stay in-place it just wobbles). So I just figure, since I have to go to all the work of dismantling the shaft to put a new stuffing box in, I just thought to spend a little extra and get a dripless that takes a little more of the worry out!

I totally agree. I feel they are half way to a gimmick as well as a bling item.

Carey,
since you need to change the packing gland, you might as well try the dripless.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boeing777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boeing777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2013 at 3:08am
Peter, I am glad you shared your advice. It is so nice to hear that coming from someone who has done so much (Nautique restoring) and besides been so helpful to me in the past. I think I will sink a bit extra into going to the dripless version.

Can you share any advice to speed up the process, or hints on what not to do? Maybe even special tools?

Thanks again.......
boeing773
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2013 at 7:17am
Keep us up to date on the progress. The rubber is in need of replacement on my old Mustang and I am considering this route as well.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2013 at 10:10am
Agree with jbach, I've often considered dripless for my Century which is v-drive and near impossible to get at.

Does anyone know:

cost of dripless system and preferred brand name?
Also, this would be waaay beyond my abilities, anyone know approximate labor cost, or can recommend anywhere within a few hours of Atlanta?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
boeing777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boeing777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2013 at 4:55pm
Hi Jeff (74Wind), I have been doing a little research on the subject over the last little while and have been told of basically two really good versions of dripless seals. The Lasdrop version is around $150.00+ and the PSS version is $200.00+ Of course this is for the part only, labour would be extra.

Here is the link from Go2Marine to see for yourself:

http://www.go2marine.com/category/12014/dripless-shaft-seals-for-boats.html

Carey....
boeing773
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2013 at 4:59pm
Carey

Those instructions I sent you are for the PSS I put in my Tique

Steve
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2013 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by boeing777 boeing777 wrote:

Here is the link from Go2Marine to see for yourself:

http://www.go2marine.com/category/12014/dripless-shaft-seals-for-boats.html

Carey....

Sorry Carey but you didn't provide a link.

Here's a proper link to Go2 marine

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boeing777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boeing777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2013 at 5:17pm
Well I finished the install of the Lasdrop dripless shaft seal the other day. Aside from the 2-1/2 hour removal of the shaft-to-tranny flange (it was extremely corroded, and had to change bolt lengths numerous times in order to remove the flange) the job went relatively smooth. Now, I am anxious for the sea trials, and life without a adjustable packing gland. Here is a pic of the installation.
boeing773
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2013 at 5:54pm
PSS is factory installed on Nautiques now. The 200 ski still runs good old shaft packing.

I used gortex in my 86 with excellent resluts. It has the added librication of the graphic style rope which allows you to get it so tight it's virtually dripless.

I always take my boat on a higher rpm run after I adjust shaft packing to feel the shaft/box for heat. It stays as cool as anything.

If I needded a new box I would probably step up to a PSS.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2013 at 10:41pm
Carey,
Do you have the Lasdrop plumbed correctly? It looks like the injection port on the seal is hooked up to the through hull pick up. I always thought you want to be on the pressure side of the engine cooling system so water flows through the seal to the lake. With the injection port hooked to the suction side, you will be drawing water from the lake.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2013 at 11:23pm
Good eye Pete!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
H2oXtremes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H2oXtremes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2016 at 4:27pm
Are there any other threads on this topic? I am also considering installing the PSS system on my 1985 Nautique. Anyone have any install headaches on this? I was told the coupler is pressed on and can be a bit of a challenge to get off and back on.
1985 Ski Nautique 2001
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2016 at 4:36pm
Shaft coupler is an interference fit. It doesn't simply un-bolt. I don't see the benefit of the PSS.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2016 at 4:50pm
I have the OJ drip less on both my '85 and '95.
Love them no fuss no mess no water dripping into my bilge no adjustments to make.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2016 at 4:53pm
I haven't adjusted my WAX packing in over 10 years. The boat gets wet due to skiers in and out. A little shaft drip is literally a drop in the bucket. The added cost alone is hard to swallow.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2016 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

my wet little shaft is literally not hard to swallow.

my little shaft drip is literally a drop in the bucket

I haven't adjusted my little shaft

I adjust my little shaft all alone
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2016 at 5:15pm
I agree with HW though, I would never consider it as an upgrade.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2016 at 5:17pm
nicely done up there ^
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2016 at 5:58pm
What happens when the hose gets clogged? You ruin your shaft. I would not mess with it.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2016 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by lcgordon lcgordon wrote:

What happens when the hose gets clogged? You ruin your shaft. I would not mess with it.

They say saw palmetto pills can help that......
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2016 at 7:57pm
My only experience with the Dripness seals are whatever Supra used in the late '80's.
And, Oh how they luvd to drip.   With two boats in rental service, they were soon replaced with the brass stuffing boxes.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2016 at 9:32pm
Jeremy,
I need to ask you why?? Do you feel it's an upgrade or do you just want extra bling on the boat? I'm with others above that really don't feel they are worth installing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
96SNEFI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96SNEFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2016 at 2:40am
I have the californiamarine.com Catalina Performance Parts shaft log stuffing box. Seems to be doing what it's supposed to do.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2016 at 11:53am
Since my SN is a direct drive and the drive shaft seal assembly is very easy to get to, I can't see the value -- for me anyway. Yes, my seal drips a little, but we are in the boat for skiing and boarding. Wet people come in and out and bring in much more water than a few packing drips. The gland nut re-tightening process is very easy, so I really don't consider an upgrade.

Now, if I ever have to change out my shaft or gland nut hardware, I may reconsider...

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2016 at 12:07pm
I think JQ has got it right on the nose. The alignment and access to the packing gland/ shaft in an older V-drive are rife with issues. Needed to change packing in my old Excel - YUCK. Glad the Barefoot Excel's PO swapped out the original style for a dripless.

Now his re-wiring is another issue.............
H2oXtremes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H2oXtremes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2016 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jeremy,
I need to ask you why?? Do you feel it's an upgrade or do you just want extra bling on the boat? I'm with others above that really don't feel they are worth installing.

It's not at all about the bling for me, My boat is used by other family members at our cabin and even some of my younger nephews. I enjoy the peace of mind sometimes that things like a dripless seal can bring me. When things go wrong on my boat everyone comes to me to fix it.. So if I can do anything preventative now and maybe even add a lil extra value at the time of selling this boat I have no problem doing it.

I have put alot elbow grease into this boat over the last ten years, id just like to keep it going with less issues down the road. Granted I have never had an issue with my current stock drip system, I also like my bilge and engine compartment clean and the dripping water and my most recent discovery a cracked muffler that is dripping into my bilge area can drive my OCD crazy. I ordered brand new mufflers I just hope they sound as good as my originals.
1985 Ski Nautique 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic