NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

72 Promo Progress

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 6>
Author
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 3:04pm
I've had a bit of spare time to work on the Promo trailer lately which wasn't in terrible shape but needed some TLC to match the shine of the hull sides. Like most projects around here, this one has taken much more time than I really wanted. Outside of needing bunk carpet and lights the trailer was in pretty good working order when we picked it up from Tim's.

Here's a few before shots.

Our company uses a small manufacturing shop to build scenic pieces so I dropped the trailer with Dwight to have the bow stop and boat guides straightened. Thats where we initially started but I should have known with any project it doesn't end there. Long story short, the trailer also ended up getting a complete tear down, sandblast, new fenders and powder coat. A bit more than I wanted to do with a house remodel and baby on the way but it's going to look really nice.

Dwight and his guys did the sandblasting themselves and checked everything over before sending to be powder coated. He was able to tag the powder coating along with another project we had for the business which saved me some money.

His guys went through the running gear with new bolts/washers/spacers and then reassembled it all to a rolling trailer again. I'm still waiting on the original jack which somehow missed the truck to powder coating.

The new fenders ended up a bit smaller than I anticipated (sorry, Tim) but I can't complain too much given the total amount I paid for all their work.

Getting the wiring finished and mounting the bow stop and guides has taken me forever but I really want to take my time and do it once. Everything is fit and ready to come off one more time so we can put a single orange pin stripe on the lower 1/3 of the frame which I think will be a great touch. Still not sure if I'll order some generic orange or take it to my brother's body guy to have a color matched striped painted on by hand, I'm leaning towards the latter.

Lastly, I'm thinking these black steel wheels with baby moons will be just enough chrome and 70's style to tie everything together.   

Next up is to get new bunk boards cut and carpeted so we can get the boat back to the lake.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 4:12pm
Looking great Chris. As to free time did Mom send you out to get out of her way ;)
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 4:21pm
+1 on the baby moons.

cheapest way to make a trailer pop, if you can find them. my old man looked for months before stumbling on his.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 5:03pm
Chris, the trailer looks great. Is it a #2 or #3?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 5:07pm
Chris, those fenders kill me (esp since the originals were so nice!) but the rest of the trailer is looking great. Those wheels are great, but why not just paint the originals and save a few bucks? I'd be surprised if you couldnt find a 1/4" pinstripe tape that matched close enough... but I'd skip it entirely myself.

Bruce, thats a #3.

Adam, Im surprised you had such a hard time finding some baby moons... they seem readily available. They do look great on a vintage trailer though!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Bruce, thats a #3.

It's bunks are a lot different than our #3DV. Was the #3 you sold like Chris'?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Bruce, thats a #3.

It's bunks are a lot different than our #3DV. Was the #3 you sold like Chris'?

Yes. Thats a typical #3. The frame stayed the same size and shape from the late 60's until the early 80's. Thats what Ive been trying to tell you about the 3DV- the bunks do not taper towards the front like a #3... they have to remain parallel since they were built for the v-hulls. Having a bunk crossing a strake would be a big no-no. The wider bunks (towards the front) probably explain your loading difficulties.

A #3 should load easier, and a #2 even easier than that (since its narrower).
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 5:28pm
I wish you told me that a couple years ago... I see Boatmates in our future.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I wish you told me that a couple years ago... I see Boatmates in our future.

Wish I knew that a couple years ago- otherwise I would have! Why go boatmate if there are CC options that load better? Obviously its less work to go buy a new trailer rather than restore an old one, but beyond that, I fail to see their appeal. Theyre not bad looking for an aftermarket trailer, I guess... but nowhere near as good looking as the factory trail, IMHO.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 6:16pm

Chris, those fenders kill me (esp since the originals were so nice!)

I agree, Tim. It's the one thing I was led astray on with Dwight. I was assured they would be almost identical to the original in size and shape but it clearly didn't turn out that way. Granted, the pic with the chrome wheel is a 15" rim so with the 14's they do look a bit better (edit: I think the originals are 14's), but not much...fenders are still substantially smaller than the original.

One thing I really like is how much stronger they are than the original mounting brackets and the fact they're closed on the inside of the wheel. I should have been more picky but I guess ya live and learn.

As for the pinstripe, can I play the original card since it had one when we picked it up?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2013 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

I should have been more picky but I guess ya live and learn.

When it comes to trailers you can live and learn, I prefer to launch and go boating!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2013 at 9:32am
Love the Boatmate that I had built for my Chris Craft
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2013 at 12:10pm
Greg, could you share some pictures of yours? Just got word that the trailer I had committed to isn't an option anymore. Might be back to a Boatmate someday after all.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2013 at 1:47pm
Chris , send me your email and I will send some pics over. I took the boat to Boatmate on a Saturday and returned the following Friday to pick it up. Owen Shelton was great to work with and although the trailer has not logged many miles it pulls fantastic and is well balanced.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Waldo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2013 at 5:35am
Awesome thread.

Waldo
Got Tiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Got Tiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2013 at 11:15am
Chris,

Looks Great!! Where did you source the square U-bolts that attach the bow stop to the trailer frame. I need 8 sets, and possibly 12 including the under frame bottom plate. Please let me know if you have a source.

Thanks, Todd
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2013 at 12:24pm
Todd, Not sure where Chris got his or if you can get them locally or not, but in Pete's absence I will fill in for him and suggest McMaster-Carr

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2013 at 12:50pm
Todd, I don't believe anyone makes them. You have to have them custom made. Peter Connolly had some made for the bow stops that he made for us. He may still have them, but I doubt he'll have 8-12 sets.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2013 at 2:50pm
Find a local company that does leaf spring repairs and most likely be able to take care of you
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2013 at 3:19pm

Granted, the pic with the chrome wheel is a 15" rim so with the 14's they do look a bit better (edit: I think the originals are 14')

So 14" wheels are what's going on the finished product ?
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Got Tiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Got Tiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2013 at 8:53pm
Re: The 1/2" U-bolts.

Bruce and Gregg, thanks for the info. I'll try Pete to see if he has a local guy with a set up to made them crude and cheap. Also I'll try to find a local guy here. Each boat trailer takes 4 sets, so it does begin to add up!!

Thanks, Todd
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2013 at 9:42pm
Ahhhh. Didn't realize they were 1/2 inch. Don't mind me.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2013 at 10:04am

Our company uses a small manufacturing shop to build scenic pieces so I dropped the trailer with Dwight.

He was able to tag the powder coating along with another project we had for the business which saved me some money.

Lastly, I'm thinking black steel wheels with baby moons will be just enough chrome and 70's style to tie everything together.   

Nice "equipment" trailer, ehhhh? (read business tax deduction )

Looking GOOD! ...and YES on the baby moons!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2013 at 6:04pm
Tim, I may see if these will clean up enough to match the quality of the new finish on the trailer.

Marty, steel 14's with Baby Moons will be the finished product...should look really nice.

Steve....it was more of a favor since I've taken him some nice business in the last few years. Plus, he gets some pretty cool "thank you" notes from PicturePat with the finished set for talking pieces in his shop. Call it an early Christmas present!

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2013 at 12:31am
Some post-Christmas work was done tonight in our "new" warehouse so I thought I'd share pictures. We're moving buildings across the street (purchased instead of leasing) so the promo needed to get back on it's trailer to make the short trip down the gravel drive and into the new building.

For some odd reason most places in Des Moines don't carry quality bunk carpet in the winter months so we'll tackle that next week but the new bunks worked out great. This was the first time I had to cut new bunks so I was a bit skeptical. Everything worked out well but I wish I wouldn't have made the bevel so steep. This would have been the proper time to measure twice, cut once.

The trailer really makes the boat pop and it'll look much better with the finishing touches. Wiring still isn't done but I'm calling today a success.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

New bunks and fasteners.

PicturePat at the wheel of the fork lift.

Tucked away at the "new" building in good company

Nearly finished product

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2013 at 10:44am
Looks awesome Chris. New shop looks like its going to be busy!
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2013 at 10:50am
Yes, sir'ree she's looking great Chris. Can't wait to drive her again being all dolled up this winter.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2013 at 12:32pm
WOW!!! What a change! Looking GOOD!

btw. nice shop!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2013 at 1:41pm
Boats and shop do look great,hope you don't junk it all up with work stuff Black trailer looks great on the promo
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2013 at 5:30pm
Very nice! Your gel really shines
83Ski
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 6>
  Share Topic