NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

72 Promo Progress

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456>
Author
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2016 at 10:13pm
Yep, put me down for a set.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2016 at 11:43am
Will do, Chris! Planning to get him some measurements and good pictures this week. Hopefully they can make it happen without breaking the bank!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2016 at 11:50am
Chris, I have seen these available... shouldn't have to do any leg work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Cypress-Gardens-wood-large-size-water-ski-decals-pair-/351892562905?nma=true&si=weCbRA8uBRcYxb%252Bit%252FmuH7Xcnuc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2016 at 12:13pm
Tim, I haven't been able to find any listed in the last few weeks and haven't received any responses from sellers who've sold them in the past year. I have all winter to do the leg work and we don't think price will be much different.

I've also noticed a few variances in these decals since I've been searching. Wondering if they have any meaning....

Blue dot or the letter "c" on either side of the logo.

Orange dot from decal on a ski....

Letter "B" from my 72 Promo....

Any background on these would be helpful.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2016 at 12:36pm
I wonder if Art C. could give any in-site into the difference?
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2016 at 7:53pm
Thanks Chris. Count me in as a backer! Depending on the outcome (price) it might be worth getting a few backups as well.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2017 at 4:51pm
I just looked at my sticker yesterday while I was at the boat. Mine have a "B" in the circle. I'd post a pic but I'm on my cell.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2017 at 1:13pm
The last few weeks have been spent restoring the engine cover gel, gathering materials for a new interior and repainting the letters/boot stripe on the promo.

The hours don't show in these pics but I've spent some considerable time sanding the hull sides. I'd previously wet sanded a majority of the boat but avoided the letters & decals in hopes of saving the original patina a few more years. Since everything will be re-painted this spring I was finally able to be more aggressive sanding & buffing the remaining oxidation.

Not too bad for a 45 year old boat!

I'm currently planning to have everything re-brushed as the current graphics are definitely hand painted and show no signs of being sprayed at any time. Personally, I like the look of the brushed letters.

Looking for paint suggestions (rustoleum) for the letters/boot stripe and pointers for preparing the surface for paint. Guessing I need something similar to this product?

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2017 at 7:15pm
Love the dump truck. Been getting a little help?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2017 at 8:22pm
Chris,
I don't feel you need to get that "top shelf" Rust-oleum. The regular worked for CC for years. Solvent wipe the areas for paint. Lightly scuff with 400 and then solvent wipe again.

Lookin great!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 11:17am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Love the dump truck. Been getting a little help?

Not sure I would call it help just yet, but he likes to keep me company and listen to tunes in the garage when I'm working on the boats!

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Chris,
I don't feel you need to get that "top shelf" Rust-oleum. The regular worked for CC for years. Solvent wipe the areas for paint. Lightly scuff with 400 and then solvent wipe again.

Lookin great!

Thanks Pete! I'll check local shops this week and see what I can find. Can't wait to get this done and put the boat all back together!
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 11:35am
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Looking for paint suggestions (rustoleum) for the letters/boot stripe and pointers for preparing the surface for paint.

Most professional sign painters and pinstripers rely on 1 Shot Enamel.
Also don't ever use a shop towel with Grease and Wax remover on it to prep the area. Use a new paper towel product. Shop towels can contain oils and grease that would transfer to the area you are trying to clean.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 11:44am
We used Rustolem on the boot stripe of our Mustang. It came out good. We used an autobody masking tape that we got at NAPA which was great stuff. I also found I needed to thin the paint a bit so that it would lay up nicely. The paint was going on too thick and drying too fast until I thinned it out. We were painting over the existing stripe.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 11:47am
Update on the engine over which I thought was destined for a re-gel or yellow vinyl cover. One of the PO's had this covered sometime in the 90's and they used an aggressive spray adhesive and double sided tape to secure the foam backing.

After several failed attempts I finally dedicated a few days to tackling this project. In the end, a 3M eraser wheel was the best solution although it made a mess of the adhesive. It took several steps after the eraser wheel to fully remove all the grime.

Photo prior to cleaning the back. Right side is ready for the buffer.

Not sure I will be able to fully remove the adhesive stains as seen in this pic but overall it's much more presentable than before.

I'll live with the remaining blemishes left over as it's now part of the boat's history. I still have several hours of wet sanding & buffing ahead but this part of the project is on the right track!
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 11:51am
Thanks Duane and Bruce! I can paint and cut interior walls with the best of them but a hull side scares the crap out of me!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 11:56am
Chris, it scared the crap out of me too. We attempted to use tape because we didn't want to get near the boat with paint, but it wasn't going to look as good.

The Promo is looking great. As much as covering gel making a mess, POs sometimes actually end up preserving the gel which looks like they did on the motor box.
Got Tiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Got Tiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 12:25pm
Chris, Your hardwork is paying off. It looks fantastic. I'm also very jealous when I look at the Promo in my basement. It still looks the same as when you dragged it across country for us, except that Joe has pulled the motor. You do provide incentive!! UT.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 12:52pm
Bruce, I guess a worst case scenario is I'd screw it up and have to sand it all off again. Unfortunately, my shop time is limited so I'll leave it to Anna (sign painter) as she's done some great work for us in the past. Planning to have her start with the transom so if something goes wildly wrong we're not backtracking as much.

Todd, the gel on your promo is in much better shape than mine. I'm sure that thing will be beautiful once you guys are done. Hopefully we can organize a "tres promos" or "quadruple promos" in the next few years!
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 5:58pm
Need to try that eraser wheel on the adhesive on the trailer fender where the non-skid logo was applied. So far nothing has worked on that $hit
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 8:02pm
It should do the trick! The wheel will probably smear the adhesive creating a booger consistency but acetone (or a solvent) on a rag after should clean it up.    
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 8:10pm
Last post of the day but I figure everyone loves pictures of boat bling!

I've had this steering helm for a few years thanks Bill-fanofccfan! We had it painted and ready to go for a few months now but lost my tool to remove the snap ring on the wheel. Finally got the wheel off and replacement helm installed.

Before:

After:

Need to replace a few switches and tend to some wiring issues but the dash is cleaning up nicely!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 8:33pm
Looks awesome Chris! Great work!!!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 9:02pm
Oh man. I hate seeing this because it reminds me how much work I have to do.

Sigh........

Looking great man! Love that doghouse!
1999 Ski Nautique 196
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 9:16pm
Looks awesome Chris! Who would have thought the old Southwind would just keep giving and giving!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 9:24pm
So orange I'd like to peel it and take a bite. Love it!
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 10:14pm
That looks awesome, great work Chris!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 11:52pm
sweet

love those Airguides.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2017 at 12:09pm
Thanks guys! I wish this would happen as quickly as I've been posting but it's been a lot of hit and miss work in the shop between chasing kids and working.

Looking at replacement switches as I have at least one faulty switch. Here's what I've found so far but I'm always open to suggestions for original replacements.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2017 at 12:20pm
Rico and Brad just replaced some switches on their 72 Skiers. I believe cole-herse ended up being the closest equivalent to the original. Nothing is a perfect match (knobs are slightly different and do NOT interchange). There are 2 and 3 position versions available, id replace them all to guarantee they match. Would not get them from west marine, they're available most everywhere (including amazon). I'll forward you the email.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2017 at 1:09pm
Chris I'm pretty sure that Academy Sports even sells those Push/Pull switches. I had to replace a couple in Kermit and they were an exact match only they're made in China and the OEM were made here. You can definitely tell a difference in how they were made.    

Boat is looking sharp man....keep it up!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456>
  Share Topic