NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Project 67 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2014 at 1:10pm
My Mustang has a hole for a sight gauge. It was covered by installing the trim ring and plexi window, but the window had adhesive backed aluminum tape applied so you couldn't see through it. The light to see the nonexistent gauge was in place and working. You would only know that if you removed the fiberglass rear seat and turned the lights on.
My 69 SS however had this arrangement. It also had dual water pick ups (is that the right word?) Does that mean that the SS boats were not drilled for a gauge and the regular ones were? or does it mean that 70s were drilled and 69s weren't? Does it mean that there is no plan or pattern?
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2014 at 11:01am
Gary, I can't say that I've ever seen another 1st gen stang without a fuel sight glass besides yours- including several that have what appear to be factory electronic fuel gauges. We'll need to do through some pictures to see if HM's were handled any differently, as I haven't had a chance to closely inspect as many of tees as I would like. Reid doesn't have any pre-71 stang HM's as far as I know. We should dig up Vondys thread and ask JohnB what his boats have/had. I believe I see a sight glass on this one:

http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=200&sort=&pagenum=7

Cc production techniques must have been a little sloppy back then. There are enough engine specific differences to think that they'd probably need to know what a hull was eventually destined to have- things like exhaust outlet size and location (on the engine end) varied between the HM, chryslers and Interceptors. Still, some details are common regardless of the engine, like the dual pickups that Bruce mentioned (all of my 67-71 boats have them regardless of engine). I'm guessing fuel sight glasses probably were handled the same. Not sure why that would have been at all related to engine option anyways, as it would seemingly be an unrelated option?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2014 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

It also has the through hulls for a Chrysler. The engine choice may have been an option which was chosen later. The 68 Cuda we had, had the same through hulls for a Chrysler and it had an Interceptor in it, so it had that same useless loop tying the 2 inlets that were not needed together.

Bruce,
I noticed the same with John's stang. I was going to ask about it but figured like you did that CC installed them no matter what engine went into the hull.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2014 at 10:36am
It also has the through hulls for a Chrysler. The engine choice may have been an option which was chosen later. The 68 Cuda we had, had the same through hulls for a Chrysler and it had an Interceptor in it, so it had that same useless loop tying the 2 inlets that were not needed together.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2014 at 10:30am
Rear deck has a fuel gauge sight glass. In the Holman Moody owners manual it says the engine is supplied with the wiring harness and gauges. So in my thinking if a HM was known to be going in why drill the hole. I can't remember off hand what boat Reid had at Tavares with a HM but I do know mine was the only one there with no sight glass. Art thought by the invoice that my boat was sold to someone the Meloons knew,so I wonder if it was ordered rather than just built
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2014 at 10:10am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Either someone got drill happy or that boat didn't start out intended for a HM, another case of use what you can get

I'm not following you Gary... Care to enlighten us on what you see?

Gary,
I can't see what you are talking about ether?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2014 at 9:53am

Either someone got drill happy or that boat didn't start out intended for a HM, another case of use what you can get

I'm not following you Gary... Care to enlighten us on what you see?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2014 at 9:23am
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2014 at 8:01am
I agree, all the details I see say it's a late 69 or 70. Most likely a late 69 per the hull number, it falls between 2 I've confirmed are a 69 (built 2/69) and a 70 (built 8/69). Scoop placement, dash style, motorbox are the other big clues, but the colored upholstery and panels are consistent with other mustangs of this era that I have seen.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2014 at 11:20pm
This is Mustang M2621. It is probably a 69 or 70. I was told that this is the original upholstery on the front seats. The back seat has been reupholstered. It used to be the Skiing Skeeters tow when it was new. It is in the year range when Tim said they changed over to a wider selection of fabrics. It appears to be pretty much original sans wheel, and the color of the upholstery looks close. I have only seen it on the water a couple of times in the 12-13 years I have been on the chain. It is driven by old people like me, no surprise.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2014 at 1:39pm
Possible but I wouldn't bet on it. It seems cc didn't start mixing in vinyl colors until late 69 or 70 (at least on the mustang, of which I am most familiar). Seats and side panels were white or cream prior to that. The deep texture of the vinyl looks more like 70's vintage to me- which would be the same vintage as your replacement seat frames. I'd guess that maybe the side panels and seats were reupholstered when the boat was ~10 years old.

Of course, cc wasn't 100% consistent back then, so anything is possible!
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2014 at 12:43pm

This was still tacked to the back of one of side panels what are the chances this is the original color?
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2014 at 7:28am

Ken Meloon at the Taveres show was telling me how many halfs they used to go thru,I'm guessing the passenger is using it for a handle,while the driver used the wheel?

Another reason to turn that observer seat around the way it's supposed to be! The pylon is a sturdier grab handle too.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 11:38pm
I didn't ask how many wheels they had John
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 9:04pm
The wheel doesn't work either Gary.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 8:48pm
Ken Meloon at the Taveres show was telling me how many halfs they used to go thru,I'm guessing the passenger is using it for a handle,while the driver used the wheel?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 8:06pm
I can set you up with another plastic port side pane. Sorry. See if they can weld up your frame. If all else fails get back to me sometime. I will know a lot more when I get mine assembled.

dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Which side of your windshield is plastic, port or starboard? .

Oh boy now your putting me to the test
Uh the plastic was on the port side, the glass was on the starboard side

I hope your going to Tell me you have the one I need ? And your willing to part with it.
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

I believe the mounting tab on the windshield could be welded back on.

It's sure worth a try but, some alloys can't be welded. You won't know until the welder tries to develop the weld puddle.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 1:42pm
Which side of your windshield is plastic, port or starboard? I believe the mounting tab on the windshield could be welded back on.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 9:52am
Kind of weird why the windshield frame broke where it attaches to the deck. We have a plastic panel in our Classic windshield. It was a challenge to put it together due to the plastic being slightly thicker than the glass. The color of the motor box is nice!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 8:25am
Yes, scoops are original, since I posted last year about not recognizing those rounded scoops, I've encountered a few 67 and early 68 boats with them.

Not sure what we're looking at in the "how do I fix this" pic?

Motorbox looks good!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 2:01am
The 69 SS Mustang I sacrificed had one glass pane and one plastic too The vinyl windshield deck channel is available Let me know if you can't read the numbers. Love your project!

dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 1:35am

Tim looks like these are original
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 1:30am
Took the windshield off today and one side was plastic and the other glass?

Is the white molding still available somewhere?

How would one fix this?
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 1:18am

1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2014 at 10:41am
There is no "decoding" the serial number, they were just sequential (with some exceptions). Art should be able to pull the build sheet on it and confirm the date.

It's pretty common for registrations to list the year incorrectly, you see it all the time. Apparently the DMV is not the authority on year to year changes at Correct Craft.

A '69 would have had different seats, light, dash, scoops (style, placement, number), etc, as noted earlier in the thread.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2014 at 1:36am
In the end I used the same 3m compounds and pads that we use on the hull. Cleaned up really well.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2014 at 12:47am
I don't have the piece that is behind the motor. Don't know it thereever was one.
The carpet was tacked with staples, I'm hoping it will clean up
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2014 at 12:31am

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic