NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Project 67 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2014 at 12:43pm

This was still tacked to the back of one of side panels what are the chances this is the original color?
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2014 at 1:39pm
Possible but I wouldn't bet on it. It seems cc didn't start mixing in vinyl colors until late 69 or 70 (at least on the mustang, of which I am most familiar). Seats and side panels were white or cream prior to that. The deep texture of the vinyl looks more like 70's vintage to me- which would be the same vintage as your replacement seat frames. I'd guess that maybe the side panels and seats were reupholstered when the boat was ~10 years old.

Of course, cc wasn't 100% consistent back then, so anything is possible!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2014 at 11:20pm
This is Mustang M2621. It is probably a 69 or 70. I was told that this is the original upholstery on the front seats. The back seat has been reupholstered. It used to be the Skiing Skeeters tow when it was new. It is in the year range when Tim said they changed over to a wider selection of fabrics. It appears to be pretty much original sans wheel, and the color of the upholstery looks close. I have only seen it on the water a couple of times in the 12-13 years I have been on the chain. It is driven by old people like me, no surprise.

1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2014 at 8:01am
I agree, all the details I see say it's a late 69 or 70. Most likely a late 69 per the hull number, it falls between 2 I've confirmed are a 69 (built 2/69) and a 70 (built 8/69). Scoop placement, dash style, motorbox are the other big clues, but the colored upholstery and panels are consistent with other mustangs of this era that I have seen.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2014 at 9:23am
Either someone got drill happy or that boat didn't start out intended for a HM, another case of use what you can get
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2014 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Either someone got drill happy or that boat didn't start out intended for a HM, another case of use what you can get

I'm not following you Gary... Care to enlighten us on what you see?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2014 at 10:10am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I'm not following you Gary... Care to enlighten us on what you see?

Gary,
I can't see what you are talking about ether?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2014 at 10:30am
Rear deck has a fuel gauge sight glass. In the Holman Moody owners manual it says the engine is supplied with the wiring harness and gauges. So in my thinking if a HM was known to be going in why drill the hole. I can't remember off hand what boat Reid had at Tavares with a HM but I do know mine was the only one there with no sight glass. Art thought by the invoice that my boat was sold to someone the Meloons knew,so I wonder if it was ordered rather than just built
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2014 at 10:36am
It also has the through hulls for a Chrysler. The engine choice may have been an option which was chosen later. The 68 Cuda we had, had the same through hulls for a Chrysler and it had an Interceptor in it, so it had that same useless loop tying the 2 inlets that were not needed together.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2014 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

It also has the through hulls for a Chrysler. The engine choice may have been an option which was chosen later. The 68 Cuda we had, had the same through hulls for a Chrysler and it had an Interceptor in it, so it had that same useless loop tying the 2 inlets that were not needed together.

Bruce,
I noticed the same with John's stang. I was going to ask about it but figured like you did that CC installed them no matter what engine went into the hull.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2014 at 11:01am
Gary, I can't say that I've ever seen another 1st gen stang without a fuel sight glass besides yours- including several that have what appear to be factory electronic fuel gauges. We'll need to do through some pictures to see if HM's were handled any differently, as I haven't had a chance to closely inspect as many of tees as I would like. Reid doesn't have any pre-71 stang HM's as far as I know. We should dig up Vondys thread and ask JohnB what his boats have/had. I believe I see a sight glass on this one:

http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=200&sort=&pagenum=7

Cc production techniques must have been a little sloppy back then. There are enough engine specific differences to think that they'd probably need to know what a hull was eventually destined to have- things like exhaust outlet size and location (on the engine end) varied between the HM, chryslers and Interceptors. Still, some details are common regardless of the engine, like the dual pickups that Bruce mentioned (all of my 67-71 boats have them regardless of engine). I'm guessing fuel sight glasses probably were handled the same. Not sure why that would have been at all related to engine option anyways, as it would seemingly be an unrelated option?
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2014 at 1:10pm
My Mustang has a hole for a sight gauge. It was covered by installing the trim ring and plexi window, but the window had adhesive backed aluminum tape applied so you couldn't see through it. The light to see the nonexistent gauge was in place and working. You would only know that if you removed the fiberglass rear seat and turned the lights on.
My 69 SS however had this arrangement. It also had dual water pick ups (is that the right word?) Does that mean that the SS boats were not drilled for a gauge and the regular ones were? or does it mean that 70s were drilled and 69s weren't? Does it mean that there is no plan or pattern?

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2014 at 1:14pm
I like those transoms without the I/O pads. I didn't realize they were on the later models.

John, do you still have that glove box and if so, would you sell it?
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2014 at 1:25pm
Sorry Bruce, I sold the glove box and everything else I didn't need. I believe it was the same one that was in my Mark Twain. It is not unique to CC and was a fairly common accessory used by other manufacturers. You may find one on eBay.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2014 at 1:31pm
Bruce I think Tim has reason to believe that the boats with the transom pads are faster,I know Marshall's fits that description! My boat had the light under the deck too,at the time I could not figure it out. It also has the dual pickup's. John what was the serial number on your SS again please. Should have Art look it up too.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2014 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I like those transoms without the I/O pads. I didn't realize they were on the later models.

Bruce, I believe both transom were used right to the very end of the 1gen Mustangs run. Most of ours have the pad but not all. I like the look of the pad better but that's probably because it's what I always remember seeing. If my theory is correct, the padded hulls are faster!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2014 at 1:36pm
Ha, I thought Marshall's boat was fast because it had a hot 340 in it!

Is there more hook in the hulls without the transom pads?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2014 at 1:46pm
The hot 340 certainly helps! But marshall's (padded) hull needed no changes in response to more power in order to run fast and safe. Reid's baby blue (no pad) needed all the hook ground out of it to run similar speeds with similar power. Olive oyle (pad) ran fast with stock power, as does my '70 (pad). Sages (no pad) wouldn't break 50 with a full top end upgrade, and I don't think royal flush (no pad) did either. The latter runs as bow low as any mustang I've seen- the trick wake was puny!

So yes, my theory is that there were multiple mustang molds (easily identified by the pad) and the padded one had less hook.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2014 at 1:47pm

John what was the serial number on your SS again please. Should have Art look it up too.

The Mustang no more:
SS2595

My keeper:
M2799

One on my chain:
M2621

dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2015 at 12:07pm
Things have been moving very slow but Art found my invoice
she was born June 6, 1967, Interceptor 165
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2015 at 12:40pm
I forget if the build sheet denotes the model year... June would put you right near the time they switched. If I had to guess id say it's one of the latest 67's as opposed to an early 68.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2015 at 12:46pm
They don't ,remember CC told me back in 88 that mine was a 68 because it was built 12-68. Was not until you and Reid looked at it and saw the vents that it is a 69.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2015 at 10:29pm
My helper did all the hard work

1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2015 at 10:35pm
I'm by no means a motor head but my plan of attack is the engine first. Ive been slowly tearing it apart .

It looks like there is a crack that was fixed ?
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2015 at 10:37pm
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2015 at 10:47am
For some reason I can't up Load photos from my phone anymore
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2015 at 11:41am
So I've been tearing down my engine slowly in my garage and the smell from old engine oil does smell up the garage some ha So the wife thought she is cleaver by trying to deodorize things with a air freshener now whats funny is my wife is a smoker and she only smokes in the garage and I can't stand the smell of smoke so this was a way to combat that smell

1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2015 at 11:47am
[IMG]uploads

1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
ryanibanez88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ryanibanez88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2015 at 11:49am
Get that Fram filter off that Block kirk
Ryan
1997 Ski Nautique
Midland Texas
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2015 at 11:52am
Ha....Ha      that filter was a bear to get off It has been stuck on there since 199?
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic