Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ford FE engine find

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Cuda Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2013 at 9:36pm
I picked up two original FE blocks today as cores for my project. Both are in good shape, need to decode the casting numbers. The block I plan to start with has stock FoMoCo 390 pistons but 360 con rods, strange... It also has castings for cross bolted mains, cool! This block has a date code that matches my intake and heads which is a plus. The other is dated 1965 with casting numbers that imply something different than what the pistons and con rods suggest which are all stock parts, but not necessarily original. Need to fully research these both. Both blocks were covered in greas by the previous owner to prevent corrosion. Also got some other odds & ends that I needed. My plan was to drop off all my parts at the machine shop tomorrow for cleaning and sonic checking but I need to be at work to handle some unplanned biz... I've got to catalog all this stuff and resell some. Or take to the scrap yard for beer money
1968 Barracuda Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2014 at 11:30am
Quick update - I sold my old Chrysler 318 to a guy from RI this weekend. Had to get it all ready for pickup, remove the velvet drive and box up the misc parts I had in the basement. I noticed something and wanted to run it by the community. The Chrysler engine I just sold spun clockwise if you were looking at the front of the engine, towards the stern. So that would mean if you are looking dead at the transom, or at the back of the engine, it would be turning counter-clockwise making it a LH engine. I cleaned up my velvet drive and it is a AS1-71C. If I am not mistaken, this transmission should be RH because it is not a 71CR... I have read that the 71C can be made to work either way by reclocking the pump. What should the pump orientation look like if correctly oreineted for RH operation?

That brings me to the next question. Since I never really went through my old hull in terms of its setup I can't be sure how the previous owner had it rigged. Don't know if the forward setting was acutally reverse. The entire boat was cobbled together. Anyway, I am mapping out my engine build and need to sort out the velvet drive. I've got just about eveything I need to do the bottom end except pistons. RH crank - check, RH distributor - check, RH cam - check. With all the parts I have picked up to make one good engine Iv'e found my self with multiple sets of connecting rods, stock pistons, two stock 390 cranks, two stok 390 cams and a buck of other stuff. Need to sell it all off and keep what I need.

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2014 at 1:32pm
No way it ran in reverse prior, since the reverse planetary does a gear reduction, it would have been very apparent something was very amiss.

For a RH engine, the pump cover needs to be reset to its opposite index, should be some diagrams in the BW manual in the reference section.
There are some csting marks on the pump cover to ID its location.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2014 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Cuda Chris Cuda Chris wrote:

Don't know if the forward setting was acutally reverse.

The lever in foward on a BW is always foward no matter the engine rotation or pump rotation. I think a BW's input always matches output unlike a PCM used in a Correct Craft which reverses the output in relation to the engine rotation.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2014 at 11:59am
Since my last post I have been going through all of my parts and mapping out the build. This endeavor has proven to be a lengthy one, but fun no less. I have a block that will serve as my starting point and it is all set to go to the shop for cleaning and sonic testing. I disassembled the heads over the weekend and found at least 6 valves completely stuck, no movement. Had to carefully hammer them out. Knowing the heads will require a complete rebuild I wasn't terribly concerned. After getting everything completely apart I was able to fully inspect the valve seats and intake/exhaust chambers, lots of work ahead of me… I'll be doing new valve seats, valve guides and removing a few rusty broken bolts amongst other things. The heads and intake manifold go together and I'd rather not source another set of heads unless mine are found to be cracked. Trying to maintain consistent date codes.

As far as the bottom end is concerned, I picked up a set of factory forged Lemans rods. They have been bead blasted and magged. I have all the bottom end parts except pistons. Could someone let me know what they have run in the past? I have read many things about standard cast, hypereutectic and forged products. Not sure what is the best for marine applications of this nature.

Factory 390 rods next to the 427 Lemans rods.

More to come soon!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2014 at 12:03pm
Chris, are you going to build the engine? Are you the proud owner of those Interceptor logs that sold on ebay last week?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2014 at 12:16pm
No - I contacted the guy a few times but couldn't stomach the $700 for used parts, especially aluminum. He said they were fresh water only; my loss is someone else’s gain... They were nice and I wanted them. The older style cast iron log manifolds and elbows are still available, they are better suited for my environment and cost same amount. I have been talking to two local shops about building my engine. I’d consider doing it myself but given the rarity of these parts I’m not going to risk it, money well spent.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2014 at 12:50pm
What I've read about FE engine rebuilds, especially when you are exchanging parts, is that you need someone that has rebuilt a lot of FEs.

I couldn't believe someone jumped on those manifolds for $700. I saw your name in one of the questions and wondered if you were the proud owner.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2014 at 12:53pm
[QUOTE=Cuda Chris] I have all the bottom end parts except pistons. Could someone let me know what they have run in the past? I have read many things about standard cast, hypereutectic and forged products. Not sure what is the best for marine applications of this nature.
QUOTE]

Chris,
Personally, I wouldn't run anything but forged in a marine application. The constant load that a marine engine is under is what forged pistons were designed for.
For my stroker build the entire rotating assembly is forged.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2014 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

What I've read about FE engine rebuilds, especially when you are exchanging parts, is that you need someone that has rebuilt a lot of FEs.

I couldn't believe someone jumped on those manifolds for $700. I saw your name in one of the questions and wondered if you were the proud owner.

I have heard the same. The two shops I am talking to have done extensive FE work. The shop I prefer is 2.5 hours away from me and has a waiting list. A guy I work with used to run 427 powered dirt/circle track cars in the 70's and he made the recommendations. We'll see though. There is an old guy near me that only works on fords but he's retired and works when he feels like working. Plus, you have to be introduced for project consideration. I'm no rush...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2014 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

[QUOTE=Cuda Chris] I have all the bottom end parts except pistons. Could someone let me know what they have run in the past? I have read many things about standard cast, hypereutectic and forged products. Not sure what is the best for marine applications of this nature.
QUOTE]

Chris,
Personally, I wouldn't run anything but forged in a marine application. The constant load that a marine engine is under is what forged pistons were designed for.

Hmmm,,, food for thought. What brand pistons would you recommend?
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2014 at 5:40pm
You won't break those Lemans rods good stout units.I used JE pistons in mine 2618 forged bout as tough as you're gonna get.Did you have any luck with cam? I was helping someone with a top end oiling issue on FE and stumbled onto a post on another forum about RR FE cams.Gary at marinr parts and sales Harrison township Mi may have info.On the road didn't bring paper I. jottet down on.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2014 at 6:46pm

Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

QUOTE]

Chris,

Hmmm,,, food for thought. What brand pistons would you recommend?

Guess it really depends on what you're planning to do with it. Stock sized pistons or overbore? What compression ratio are you looking to achieve? The size of the heads, size of the gaskets, rod length, deck height and shape of the pistons will all affect the static compression ratio so you need to plan accordingly.
Just about any good quality piston will work depending on your application. JE, Ross or Mahle immediately come to mind. Here's a good example of planning accordingly:

I used Mahle. They came as part of a kit from Eagle. They were specifically matched to a stroker crank with longer than stock 6" H-Beam rods. The Mahle's are a good piston but they have a short skirt and are lighter weight compared to standard pistons. The only drawback is that they have very specific rings you have to use and the piston pin keeper assemblies are difficult to ensure they are seated right.

I specifically wanted to have the rotating assembly internally balanced instead of the normal external balance on a 383 (without going through a very expensive process of drilling out and adding weight to the crank). That particular kit was one of the very few I found that had parts as stout as I wanted and specifically said it could be internally balanced. After it was all said and done, my machinist said he would have never been able to internally balance the rotating assembly with any other piston...period.

So depending on what you want to do can determine what piston you can use. You have to do your homework first.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2014 at 8:24pm
Yes Mahle is good and lighter but the 4032 high silicone is not as tough as the 2618.Chances are both would do good in this application and I considered them myself for the same reason easier balance   But in a higher rpm if motor goes lean the 2618 is more apt to survive. Plus you can ru a tighter piston to wall with the 4032.Detonation won't kill the 2618 as fast.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2014 at 8:43pm

I have a block that will serve as my starting point and it is all set to go to the shop for cleaning and sonic testing.

Chris,
Tell me more about the sonic testing. I've never heard of the procedure but maybe that's because I'm "old fashioned"!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2014 at 8:46pm
People put the factory lemans rod through much more than he ever will.Using a factory crank with a lighter forged piston balance should not be a big issue

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2014 at 11:24pm
I cribbed this description of sonic testing, used to determine material thickness and integrity...

"The mode of operation of a sonic tester is easy to understand. Essentially it comprises a sending/receiving probe and a box of electronics to analyze a signal return time. When sound encounters a sudden change of material density in its path, it is reflected. If the speed of sound through the material/medium is known, then the distance to that change in density can be accurately determined by measuring the time it takes for the sound to return to its source. Given the right calibration, it is possible to measure the thickness of a section of cast iron or aluminum to less than five-thousandths accuracy"

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2014 at 11:25pm
What kind of hp are you shooting for?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2014 at 11:38pm
Doing my homework is absolutely the truth. I have a RH cam, RH crank, rods and just need pistons. I need an assembly that is going to work together so I am choosing my parts carefully. Ive got this strange vision of using factory ford performance parts or what someone could have put their hands on when the boat was running around. Determining deck height, compression and gaskets will be the next step. Ive got to get the heads and block done which will help determine the aforementioned variables. Removing metal from the block and or heads as a corrective measure (if needed) will change things ever so slightly. Also, reading about high tensile strength forged pistons brings up even more about metallurgy, thermal expansion characteristics and other things I am not 100 percent up to speed on when it comes to engine dynamics. Considering whats best for sustained rpms and engine load characteristics are all things that are running through my mind. I might be over thinking some of this but the research is fun. Plus I like hearing from people on tried and true options.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2014 at 11:53pm

Hahaha, good question. What ever the engine will do I guess, no goal in mind. At the end of the day the valve cover stickers will still say 285hp Interceptor. I want to build reliability and room for future improvements. Not crazy about a serious over bore but I'd consider it. I'm measuring potential gain to dollars I'll need to spend. The block I am starting with is a stock 390, so it depends on what I can safely and reliably get out of it.
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2014 at 12:37am
Yep first step is block to get solid squared deck hight.Then1/2 stroke +rod length to determine compression height for piston .Then figure gasket thickness for proper quench to minimize detonation piston rock.Summit Racing has easy combustion calculator to match cylinder head volume,bore,stroke all just where you need it .

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2014 at 1:22am
Many thanks!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2014 at 11:42am

Hahaha, good question. What ever the engine will do I guess, no goal in mind. At the end of the day the valve cover stickers will still say 285hp Interceptor. I want to build reliability and room for future improvements. Not crazy about a serious over bore but I'd consider it. I'm measuring potential gain to dollars I'll need to spend. The block I am starting with is a stock 390, so it depends on what I can safely and reliably get out of it.

You might want to put some long hard thought about hp/performance goals before you go too much further. If you decide that you dont value greater performance over pure originality (date code matched heads being one example) thats fine. Just be aware that there are most likely significant gains to be made in areas that you will not want to spend money on twice. Since youre going through the entire engine from top to bottom, now would be the time to make some big decisions before you spend a lot of time and $ acquiring parts or paying for machining and install costs.

Of course, the stock 285hp will push that Cuda along pretty well!

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2014 at 12:01pm
250 hp would be the proper decals for that boat. Dave hates it when people ask what the engine is in our Cuda and I tell them it's a 352.

ReidP would be a good one to talk to as he has a rebuilt 390 in his Classic that's had some mods. It is a beautiful engine. It has high compression and different heads, compared to most stock marine FEs which are low compression and have 352 heads.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2014 at 3:30pm

250 hp would be the proper decals for that boat. Dave hates it when people ask what the engine is in our Cuda and I tell them it's a 352.

ReidP would be a good one to talk to as he has a rebuilt 390 in his Classic that's had some mods. It is a beautiful engine. It has high compression and different heads, compared to most stock marine FEs which are low compression and have 352 heads.

Thats right, the engine that was in this hull originally was a 250hp 352. You have been very helpfull providing me with the original specs. Since this is a repower, the engine going back in is going to be a mostly spec 285hp 390. With that said, I'll be doing a lot of little things to gain powere here and there but nothing significant.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2014 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

You might want to put some long hard thought about hp/performance goals before you go too much further. If you decide that you dont value greater performance over pure originality (date code matched heads being one example) thats fine. Just be aware that there are most likely significant gains to be made in areas that you will not want to spend money on twice. Since youre going through the entire engine from top to bottom, now would be the time to make some big decisions before you spend a lot of time and $ acquiring parts or paying for machining and install costs.

Of course, the stock 285hp will push that Cuda along pretty well!

I'll putting it back together stock for the most part except a few things will be cleaned up and improved upon but you are right, there are considerations to be made. Im definitely going to port and polish the heads. Possibly larger valves, port-match the intake to the heads and exhaust to the manifolds. Little things... There are mods that can be done to the oiling system for better circulation. Hands down, 285hp will move that boat. Every part of this engine is getting touched so I plan on doing my best to have it thoroughly gone through. Once I'm there I'll post the specs.
Retro Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Retro Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2014 at 12:09pm
Sounds like a great project. The velvet drive without a gear reduction is good for 310 HP, so your right in there. Also, to reverse the rotation, remove the 4 bolts on the front pump cover and rotate it 180 degrees. it can only be bolted in two ways, so don't worry about messing it up.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2014 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Retro Scott Retro Scott wrote:

Also, to reverse the rotation, remove the 4 bolts on the front pump cover and rotate it 180 degrees. it can only be bolted in two ways, so don't worry about messing it up.

Scott,
Welcome to CCfan. Tell us more. Are you a boat owner?

Regarding the trans pump rotation reversal, I don't feel it's 180 degrees. Check it out. In our reference section, there's a great manual on Velvet drives with pictures. The rotation reversal is simply reversing the porting to the pump.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Retro Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Retro Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2014 at 7:23pm
Thank you for the welcome. I am an owner. At present I have a '67 25' Pacemaker Express Cruiser that had a single Chevy 350 inboard. It's a project that I'm just getting going on. The boat was free, so you can just imagine! The motor is junk, sat with water in 5 cylinders, heads and intake, for two winters. Just a block of rust. The velvet drive tranny in on my bench right now. I'm learning about it and will try to save it. Like I said, it really is almost 180
Degrees that you turn the pump, maybe a little less. It can only be bolted on two ways and their are a arrows on the outside that indicate rotation direction. I have owned several boats since I was a kid. A 8' racer, a 12' 3-point hydroplane, 14' plywood utility, 16' White lap strake outboard, a 16' flat bottom work skiff for clamming, a '64 14 MFG Niagara, a 6 meter Century Riviera, a '67 CC Mustang and my Pace. I like boats!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2014 at 11:11am
Welcome Scott!

The engine build is currently on hold until I can put some money back in my parts bank and get a good set of pistons, bearings, rings, valves, springs, etc. All the small bits. Just got back from a vacation to Ft Lauderdale and Miami so no money for boat parts at the moment, hahaha.

Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic