NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

86' Fish Nautique (gettin' put to work)

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2014 at 9:04am
another note, I know people recommend gel coat over paint most days. i usually urge against it when awlgrip is an option.
I detail boats for half a dozen commercial/pleasure boats that see a lot of use. and to be specific two of them are 37 Duffy hulls. both came out of the mold within a year of each other and both fish together probably 80% of the time so very similar use. except one has awlgrip(dark blue) and one is gel coat (also dark blue)
9 years later(today) the awlgrip boat looks brand new when i am done with it and the hull with gel coat doesn't change much. also under the cleat where we hang fish the gel coat has completely rubbed through to white base rendering it unfixable without a big job. The same spot in the awlgrip gets a quick wetsand compound and polish and you never know.
when it comes time I will be using awlgrip 100%
MOBCHARTERS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOBCHARTERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2014 at 12:59am
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2014 at 4:01am
you will find that the slightest adjustment of the trim tabs (if it were equipped) will change that spray a lot. After spending half a season with and half a season without mine I wouldn't think twice about dropping the dough on them considering a kit is relatively cheap and live a long life..
I have also noticed the faster i cruise the dryer i am in most chop. I am planning a re-power and re-prop for this season to get a few knots for those choppier days.
Good to hear the west sys holding up, I have done a lot of work with west system and have never been let down by it. during my re-power I will be coating my bilge with the west and mixing in their graphite additive. I have done it in the past in fish holds and other places that get oily and stinky, and for some reason mold will not grow on it with that additive. makes it a pleasure to clean.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOBCHARTERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2016 at 3:08pm
Well,... It's been a long time since I've posted anything on here but I thought I'd update what I've done.
Here is a pic of the new engine we built and put in..
another view

installed leaning post and livewell.

Had The bottom painted.

Love the lines.

new 4 blade prop

New Fresh Water Engine install. Marine Power 350 Vortec heads, Roller cams, bored .20 over

I'm considering installing trim tabs, not sure as of yet because I plain on putting this boat up for sale in a few months.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2016 at 5:01pm
Thanks for the update Rick. How come you are doing the repower and other work and then selling it? Nice to see the fresh water cooling, whether for you or for the next guy!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2016 at 5:17pm
agreed, thats a lot of work to turn around and sell it.
if you go trim tabs the bennets are pretty bulletproof. My first season with my fish they didn't work but if i had realize how easy they actually were to troubleshoot I would have done it.
As nice as a chrome valve cover looks. They always seem to leak no matter what gaskets you use.
What prop specs did you go with? what led you to the 4 blade?
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2016 at 5:21pm
Tony, dual ram on the tabs with that size boat? Or single OK?

I was wondering about the prop as well, thought a 3 blade might be more suited to the use of that boat.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 3:02am
single has been fine for me. i dont see a need for dual setup unless your breaking nautique speed records with the thing.
Bennet make a hydraulic tab which has become an industry standard over the years. The systems are not overly expensive in the grand scheme of things in the boat world, but myself, i wouldn't hesitate to buy used parts because like i said they are pretty simple and durable.
They also have a new"ish" electric tab called the bolt system. I have only had experience with the hydraulic units.

The 3 vs 4 blade discussion has been discussed all too many times, lol. I will certainly be interested to know the numbers given from the 4 blade and what pitch, dia. and cup it has vs known 3 blades in this boat.
I think the 4 blade has potentially a lot to gain in this type of boat if pitched correctly for the boat and HP.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOBCHARTERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 10:34pm
Well, I bought another project boat and will eventually need more funds to do the work to it. That is the main reason I have decided to sell her. I will always love the lines of the Fish Nautique. There are a lot of boats out there, but not a lot as pleasing to the eye.... The hard thing to compare with the 2 props that I also changed motors at the same time..... The first motor was a 1978 block sbc 350 that put out an estimated 260-270 hp. At that time I was running a 14X11 RH prop. The main problem I had at that time was when I had a heavy load the prop would slip and mpg would really suffer. I now have a updated 350 sbc with vortec heads, roller lifters, ect This engine is supposed to be puting out aprox. 300+ hp... The new prop is a 4 blade 13X13 LH as this motor is regular rotation now. So when compairing #'s you have to keep that in mind.

Here's the #' s ( full tank of fuel) empty boat
Old motor 3 blade 14x11:
2800RPM   19mph 1.7mpg
3000RPM   22mph 1.9mpg
3200RPM    24mph 2.25mpg

New Motor 4 blade 13X13
2800RPM 21mph   2 mpg
3000RPM 24.mph   2.2mpg
3200RPM 26.5mph   2.4mpg

The thing I've noticed that I like so far with the new prop is that even with a full tank and a fairly decent load of people on the boat 4 + myself (1000lbs) the numbers don't change with the 4 blade like they did with the 3 blade. you could knock off 2 mph and .25-.5 mpg with that load running my old 3 blade. I guess One way to compare apples to apples now would be to put the ol' 3 blade back on and run it with this motor and record the #'s....

I think my current #'s would be a bit better with tabs for sure. unfortunately I think I would have to install small ones due to the exhaust placement.

Since I know everyone on here likes pics I thought I post a few of my new project boat I'll be starting. It's not a CC but I was looking for something in the 26-30' range. I'm planing on putting a 315hp. 6BTA Cummins Diesel in it. Gunna cost me some $$... It's a 28' Pacemaker on paper but total length is 29'10" with an 11' beam.

DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2016 at 2:18am
Nice, what kind of hull is that?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOBCHARTERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2016 at 10:07am
Tony, I think its what they call the sportfisherman..... not sure tho. It is a Pacemaker, but hard to find info on it.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2016 at 10:16am
cool, that should be a good project.
It looks like the keel was layed up after the fact, wasn't originally offered with that big of a keel I am guessing. Whats she got for power?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2016 at 11:13am
I think manifold vacuum numbers with those stats, as well as WOT rpm
would help tell the full prop/motor combination story. Too bad its got to go, its been in good hands.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2016 at 12:06pm
what RPM are you getting at WOT?
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2016 at 12:17pm
That Pacemaker looks like it will be a great all weather boat. 11' beam is a lot of cockpit room!

Obviously the 4 blade was a solid improvement, the numbers tell the story.
1980SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2016 at 2:28pm
Let us know if you have a build thread for the 6BT Pacemaker, as I would love to watch the project!
1980 Ski Nautique
351ci Commander
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2016 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Obviously the 4 blade was a solid improvement, the numbers tell the story.

It is def an improvement, but.
I have a sneaky suspicion that boat can perform much better than that with the fresh 300hp 350.
I'm running a 13x11.5 3 blade on my fish now and pulling about 28mph @3200. Thats with the 260ish HP 351. I get about 22mph at 2800.
That hull is capable of much more if propped correctly, I have heard of guys running upper 30's with similar HP as your 350

Those velvet drives are capable of running either direction if you ever wanted to run a RH wheel vs a LH.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2016 at 4:28pm
Tony, good to see you have a foot throttle in the FIsh!

On the props, I think Rick said the 4 blade is new. I wonder if either Rick or Tony's 3 blades were ever re-worked, they may not be what they were when new. Hard to know what the best prop for the application is without having a few on hand to try and compare, though I wonder what Acme would recommend if they had all the details on the boat and power.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2016 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by DayTony DayTony wrote:

Those velvet drives are capable of running either direction if you ever wanted to run a RH wheel vs a LH.

Correct but keep in mind it needs to match the rotation of the engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2016 at 10:58am
that video is with an unworked acme 524

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOBCHARTERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2016 at 5:02pm
My 4 blade is cupped also.. i ran the boat yesterday with a half tank of fuel and at 3400 I was doing 28-29mph. At WOT I was 33mph at 4000rpm with half tank of fuel (40gal) Tabs would probably help me see the largest improvement.. Part of the reason I went to a 4 blade and went down in size was because with a full boat (6 people plus myself and a full tank of fuel 80gal) I could not reach 4000rpm with the old 14x11. I would estimate the total weight at well over 2000lbs, especially with cooler, ice and tackle....BTW Awesome vid Tony.... I have a borg Warner Valvet 1:1 and yes its easy to change the rotation of the pump, but it must match the rotation of the engine. you cannot make a RH motor spin that trans LH ect. It makes it easier to swap out transmissions as they are not RH or LH only.. I also found it hard to find RH props for an 1-1/8' shaft. This is due the the fact that a RH is considered a counter rotation motor, which means you would have a LH and a RH. There are not to many small shaft small boats out there with twin screw that run a 14x11. 11" pitch is a small amount of pitch for a twin. So finding a used RH was a bit tricky.. The new boat project will be on hold until both my other boats are sold. I keep thinking if I put tabs on my Fish it ill make me procrastinate on selling it... lol...
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2016 at 7:02pm
ok, thanks for clearing that up. I have swapped the pumps to match engine rotation before but I always thought they could be reversed by just swapping linkage too.
The ZF gear we have in our duffy can be run in both directions. for example our cummins is std rotation and without removing the gear we can put either a LH or RH wheel on and simply run it in whatever direction we need.
The trim tabs are a good selling point, especially when doing sea trial. time and money invested vs return might be hard to justify though. but what isnt on a boat? haha
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2016 at 7:16pm
So Rick, was the WOT 33 mph at 4,000 with a full complement of people and gear? You say half tank of fuel but not sure what your load was otherwise.

One of the brochures lists a Fish at 3,800 lbs., then add your 2,000 lbs. of fuel, people, and gear and you are at almost 6,000 lbs. That's a pretty hefty load for a 300 HP small block. Not that it's not up to the task, and can do it efficiently, but I'd guess your results are pretty solid considering. A few more rpm at WOT might help.
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2016 at 8:37pm
[QUOTE=MOBCHARTERS] Well,... It's been a long time since I've posted anything on here but I thought I'd update what I've done.
Here is a pic of the new engine we built and put in..
another view

installed leaning post and livewell.

Had The bottom painted.

Love the lines.

new 4 blade prop

New Fresh Water Engine install. Marine Power 350 Vortec heads, Roller cams, bored .20 over

I'm considering installing trim tabs, not sure as of yet because I plain on putting this boat up for sale in a few months.[/QUOTE

WOW!!!
Js

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOBCHARTERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2016 at 9:33pm
Tony, Those ZF's have quite the reputation... I'm looking at putting a 1.64/1 ZF in my new boat with the Cummins. I'm still doing some research on them tho. Skier, that WOT 4000rpm and 33mph was 1/2 full fuel tank just me on the boat. That est. of (2000lbs) is just passengers, myself, and fuel. If you add a 25 gal live well (200lbs), tools, spare parts ect. (50lbs), cooler w/ ice (100lbs), rods, reels, tackle (50lbs) and boat (3800lbs) you hit a total of (6200lbs)... That is with me and 6 people @188lbs /ea.... That is a pretty steep bill for a single 300hp 350 sbc... I can tell you this... when I get a group of 6 that could all be football players I shiver and cringe... lol but, a family group of 2-3 adults and 3 kids... omg what a difference.... 3 adults @150lbs and 3 kids around 100ea. puts me right around 1600lbs instead of the 2000! ,.... and that 400lbs is a huge difference. Unfortunately its hard to explain that to folks on the phone.. I try to be gentle but honest...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2016 at 9:38pm
Another thing on the ZF's to check out is I think you can put a trolling valve on them too. Might come in handy for you.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2016 at 9:54pm
Yes, that SBC is feeling a bit flogged I would think! I've toyed with the idea, future project (and not likely, but I can dream), of putting a Peninsular 6.5 diesel in one of the larger CC's. I almost bought a running takeout engine with 2:1 transmission just to hold for the future, didn't pull the trigger. HP ratings can be mid 200's to I think a bit over 300, but torque numbers well over 400 lb.-ft. Not sure what the performance would be compared to the gas engine but economy would be great and I doubt it would care nearly as much what the load was.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2016 at 11:31pm
ours is equipped with trolling valve. we swing a 34" wheel so its almost necessary, that thing moves some water when its kicked into gear.
My only complaint is i personally don't care much for the fly by wire throttle controls. it takes some getting used to going from reverse to N to Forward and the other way around. there is no feedback so if your not paying attention you could easily forget and be half into the throttle by the time it kicks in.
We run the thing with the trolling valve on for days on end when canyon fishing and its always worked. all it is is a controlled "slip"
Mountain Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2016 at 3:15pm
Interesting thread - enjoyed the posts. I'm in the middle of a total refit of an 85/86 Fish Nautique, hope to splash it around Easter. It is powered with a reman 351 (.030 over), GT-40 heads, Carb, and DUI. Drive is a new PCM 80A - 1.23:1. Replaced the shaft with a shorter ARE shaft and re-propped with a 3 blade 14X 13 w/# 3 cup. Boat has 12" Bennett tabs. We've also added an additional fuel cell (16 gal) in the floor compartment closest to the console. That will give us a little over 100 gals when full.. Note that the position of the engine and shaft log has changed from original due to the PCM reduction drive.   Performance numbers and pics will be shared when done.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOBCHARTERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2016 at 11:56am
MountainMan, Those reduction drive transmissions are the way to go. Thats why we see them in those 28-30' boats powered with twin 350's. It's the only way to push them. I know what you mean with changing the shaft log position as there is just enough room as it is for a 1:1 gear in there... I have thought about doing that, but its more work than I want to get into at this point. I could probably move the engine foward a few inches as that would be almost easier... lol it would also have to come up higher to keep the same angle. which would not be that bad of an idea considering how low these motors sit in these boats... I swear there is only an inch between the oil pan and the bottom of the bilge... Thanks for the post tho, and I'll be interested to see how the # work out when your done..keep us posted!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic