NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carb Choke broken??

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb Choke broken??
    Posted: April-20-2014 at 2:19pm
Last several times I've been to the ramp I've had a hard time getting the boat to stay running when she's cold. It's quite embarrassing at the ramo when I am constantly stalling out. Once she's warm, she's good to go.

Today I decided to take a look and possibly raise the idle a bit when I noticed the choke wasn't working properly.

I'm not sure what the choke arm looked like before hand, but I'm pretty sure it is broken. The carb is a Holley 4010 I do believe. Can I replace just the choke arm? The choke plate linkage is not connected to anything down where the electric choke is. I'm assuming the arm coming off the electric choke should have a hole where the linkage would insert into???

Here's a few pics:

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2014 at 3:07pm
Mine broke about a month ago. I took it to Woody and he replaced the assembly from a donor.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2014 at 3:07pm
I have the 4160 and the set up looks the same. Your choke looks fine except in the bottom pic you can see the arm off the electric choke it should be on top of the plastic stop at least that's how mine is. It seems that the way yours is the plastic stop is keeping the arm from raising.

Edit: when your motors cold is the choke ever closed? Can you close and open the choke plate by manually moving the lever up and down?
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2014 at 10:55pm
I think the arm itself is broke. The exploded view shows that the linkage goes into a hole in the arm. It doesn't ride on top. I'm not sure I have Woody's number, but I will call to see if Nautiques of Orlando can help.

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 12:23pm
Made some calls today and had no luck. Tried to call Holley directly and the recording said my wait time was over and hour and to call back later. Most people are telling me to go to a manual choke or to replace the entire carb. Unreal.

I'm more than willing to buy the entire choke assembly if possible, I am not seeing things that are for the 4010 carb. Mostly the 4160. Doh!
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 12:33pm
You need # 29 in above drawing correct ?Have some Holleys at shop will let you know shortly.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by oldcuda oldcuda wrote:

You need # 29 in above drawing correct ?Have some Holleys at shop will let you know shortly.

I think I need #28 as well. I only have #77 (linkage) coming off the choke plate. It looks like I need #29 to connect the linkage to the cam.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 1:34pm
Carb Video

John, check out the video. The red arm pulls the choke rod downward as the choke heats up. What happens is over time the Bi-metallic spring inside the black choke puck degrades causing it to loose full range of motion. When the range of motion is lost it wont close the choke all the way. When you re adjust the choke to close it doesn't open the choke all the way. As long as that red arm has the ability to pull down on the choke I don't think you need any new parts.

Probably replace the spring and adjust properly and get your cold idle back like it was.

To confirm when the engine is completely cold the choke should be basically completely closed. I think the adjustment spec is 1/16" clearance when closed.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 1:49pm
Zach. the video makes sense. I noticed the arm moved when the engine was first started. maybe the linkage arm came loose. I'll have to double check later when I get home.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 2:14pm
The engine vacuum will pull the choke open slightly when you rev it.

Having the choke adjusted exactly right will make you smile. If possible put the idle screw exactly where it was before so you don't need to adjust the idle mixture screws.
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 2:27pm
The weight on the end of plastic arm is broken of in your carb.Rod does not connect through hole just helps pull it down.Let me see if I can send pic with phone
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

Made some calls today and had no luck. Tried to call Holley directly and the recording said my wait time was over and hour and to call back later. Most people are telling me to go to a manual choke or to replace the entire carb. Unreal.

I'm more than willing to buy the entire choke assembly if possible, I am not seeing things that are for the 4010 carb. Mostly the 4160. Doh!

That's funny because I've called Holley in the past a human answered the phone and I was at lost for words because the last thing I expected was a human.

Call Woody at Southeast, last month he robbed a donor carb for me. 407/851-1965
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 2:44pm
Also, Juniors Racing shop in Cocoa is a shot. He's 100% Strictly Holley. Kinda a strange fellow but many parts if he'll let go of what you need.
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 3:07pm
Can't do pic but there is supposed to be weight at end of arm to aid pressure for fast idle cam.Do have one that looks the same.Does not look like it would effect cold start setting on choke just helps keeping arm against rod for cold idle setting
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by oldcuda oldcuda wrote:

Can't do pic but there is supposed to be weight at end of arm to aid pressure for fast idle cam.Do have one that looks the same.Does not look like it would effect cold start setting on choke just helps keeping arm against rod for cold idle setting

I think I know what you're talking about, but all of the info says it's only compatible with 4150/4160 carbs. Just put a call in to Woody to see if he can help.

desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 4:12pm
Let me know if you can't find the part you need. I switched to a 4160 and still have my old 4010.
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 6:03pm
That's the one I have do you have cold idle adjustment screw?Carb I took it from didn't so why have it that's weird
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 6:15pm
Marine Carbs don't have fast cold idle settings so they don't need that step on the back. Wouldn't hurt anything if it was there. Might be a lot less hassle and work to pay a little extra and just buy the assembled electric choke assembly from Holley.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 6:16pm
https://www.holley.com/45-223.asp

That kit will probably work. Seems like the bosses on the manual choke 4160 carbs are the same as the ones that came with it.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 8:43pm
Here's a
Video I took today when starting her cold. She seems to idle a little low and stall after a minute or so. Choke cam appears to be working fine.

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 8:51pm
Here are some pics of the choke setting and the little screen thing near the choke. Not sure what it's for.

Sorry for the vertical video above.

This second video shows how she idles after she's almost warmed up. Notice the choke plate isn't completely opened.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 11:49pm

Here is a picture with the choke partially open. When it's closed the top of the plastic piece that is broken off on yours rests on the housing just above it.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 10:32am
John, That points to the spring being worn out. Replace it and it will probably be fine.

The screen is for air flow in and out of the choke spring when the air is heated and cooled.
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 1:30pm
One other thought if the cam is not broken. Someone commented last year that less than 12 volts at the choke will keep the choke from closing all the way; as a part of the diagnosis, check the voltage as it enters the choke.
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 2:18pm
Zach: is the spring part of the cap? I'm seeing plenty of replacement caps, but not finding much in the way of replacement springs alone.

I'll also check voltage going into choke.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 3:00pm
Yes, it's inside of the cap. Usually about 35 bucks or so.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 3:50pm
Found this one on Summit for $27

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 4:56pm
Get it done. I can't compete on stuff you can find in automotive world. There are specs on how to set the choke closed clearance. You don't want it completely slammed shut hard because it will hold too much air but if it's open slightly too large it will run just like it does right now.

That is the most common choke failure I have seen. Yes you are missing that weight on the red arm but an ounce or two shouldn't make it not close. If anything the weight is to assist with opening because it pulls downward on the choke rod.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by dwouncmd dwouncmd wrote:

Someone commented last year that less than 12 volts at the choke will keep the choke from closing all the way; as a part of the diagnosis, check the voltage as it enters the choke.

Since the choke runs off the same circuit as the ignition, get the volt meter and wiring diagram out!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 10:14pm
Safe to assume I should have around 12V at the choke when the key is switched on correct? Im not the best with electrical issues, but I do have a meter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic