NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

oil drain

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
danman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oil drain
    Posted: April-19-2006 at 9:07pm
I was wondering if anybody on this forum was pumping or sucking their oil out through the dipstick tube when changing their engine oil, and has eliminated the sh**y drain hose. If so, How well does this work? Is there a small enough hose provided to snake down the dipstick hose? Does it get ALL old oil from the pan?
    I am fet up with my drain hose. Sometimes it drains well, others it is slow. I replaced the hose last year, and now it is leaking oil where the rubber meets the brass end (crimp).
              Happy Ski Season!
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2006 at 10:28pm
I suck mine out with a pump that looks like a volley ball. It works great if the oil is warm but man does it suck (or doesn't suck) if the oil is cold. Yep, I can get out almost all of the oil. Sometimes you have to jiggle the hose a little to be sure it is setting in the bottom of the pan. The nice thing, for me, is that I can change the oil with the boat in the water. IT's also nice because once you get the oil out you can run the container to the auto parts store to dump the oil. My neighbors got tired of me dumping it on their property late at night. I don't know how they figured out it was me..
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2006 at 7:47am
I got tired of changing oil on the lift so I switched to synthetic oil. Manual says to change oil ever 50 hrs, here in Ohio I get about 80 to 90 hrs a season. So I just change the oil in the fall when I winterize. Drop the hose thru the hull and let it drain for a day or two. Not alot of difference in cost if you consider two oil changes to one.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2006 at 8:42am
I bought a $20 pump at a marine supply store; it takes about 30 minutes to pump out 7 qts. I also use it to change the transmission fluid. It has a small tube on one end to go in through the dip stick hose.

Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2006 at 10:03am
I am way out of the loop here. I have only changed my oil once and it didnt have any kind of hose so I just ran it down into the hull and let it run out of the drain hole. I figured that is what how you were supposed to do it since it worked so well. After it ran out I just wiped up the extra oil with a couple of shop towels.

I know I am a new boat owner. I might look into one of those pumps though.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2006 at 10:21am
IMHO, the drain hose is still the way to go if you trailer your boat. You just cannot get in a hurry when changing oil. I usually start the oil draining and then go work on another project and come back to complete the oil change later in the day. Oh yea, it helps to remove the oil cap when letting it dain.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2006 at 10:35am
J-I-H...I used to pour mine down a mole tunnel! Now that I ran the mole out, I'm going have to sneak out at night and give it to the folks next door...can't stand them anyway!When they start digging in the garden, it will be like hitting black gold, Texas tea...time to move to Beverly Hills...movie stars...swimmin pools!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2006 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Jim_In_Houston Jim_In_Houston wrote:

I suck mine out with a pump that looks like a volley ball. It works great if the oil is warm but man does it suck (or doesn't suck) if the oil is cold. Yep, I can get out almost all of the oil. Sometimes you have to jiggle the hose a little to be sure it is setting in the bottom of the pan. The nice thing, for me, is that I can change the oil with the boat in the water. IT's also nice because once you get the oil out you can run the container to the auto parts store to dump the oil. My neighbors got tired of me dumping it on their property late at night. I don't know how they figured out it was me..

JIH, is that the same pump used to syphon the gas??? We will know who it is if people start loosing motor oil or gas!!!

Jeff...
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2006 at 12:17am
Originally posted by jon4pres jon4pres wrote:

I am way out of the loop here. I have only changed my oil once and it didnt have any kind of hose so I just ran it down into the hull and let it run out of the drain hole. I figured that is what how you were supposed to do it since it worked so well. After it ran out I just wiped up the extra oil with a couple of shop towels.

I know I am a new boat owner. I might look into one of those pumps though.

You may already know this, but I'll go anyway. Many of the boats ( and all of the new boats), have a hose connected to the pan where the plug would go. It's a couple of feet long and has a screw on cap on the end.
You simply remove the boat plug, put the hose through the hole and drain the oil through the hose into a bucket below the boat. FWIW. BKH
Livin' the Dream

chavonbravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chavonbravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2006 at 12:37am
I like to change my oil in the lake as well, that way I can just dump the old oil overboard...
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2006 at 9:56am
BKH mine had no kind of hose. The way I did it really didnt cause much of a mess at all. It took less than a minute and 4or5 rags to get all of th oil that didnt run out the drain hole.

Chavonbravo. I hope you are kidding. I am definetly not a tree hugger but I would hate to see our lakes become more polluted.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic