NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

okie boarder's house

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 8>
Author
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: okie boarder's house
    Posted: February-20-2015 at 5:20pm
Well, I thought I'd go ahead and post the floor plan and layout to take a look at, as we prepare to start the building process. Our original intent was to do a farmhouse style design, and we really wanted to try to stay with a fairly rectangular shape. With the rooms and layouts that we wanted, it wasn't seeming real feasible. After some sketches and tweaks, we settled in on this design. This keeps our square footage down around where we need it to be for our budget, while giving us the layout and rooms we want. Some of the design in the plans is going to be decided as we go along, like the exact cabinet layouts and some styling features. I'd say 85-90% of what we'll end up with is captured in the drawings. The elevation drawing is representing a generic stone, siding and paint color that will likely change. This first picture is really close to the color scheme and stone we'll do.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2015 at 5:29pm
In addition to the color scheme in the first picture, we are thinking about adding some texture differences where the siding is. Our thought right now is to do board and batten on the faces of the porches, shake shingle type surface in the gable ends and the lap siding everywhere else.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 6:25pm
We looked at a lot of items for the house Saturday including plumbing fixtures, etc, rock, paint colors, wood stoves. While looking at plumbing fixtures, we found some ones we liked and want to be sure we are keeping in a similar family and same brand throughout the house, if possible. What brand of fixtures would y'all recommend as an overall brand? I've understood that Delta is usually pretty good, along with Kohler and Moen.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 6:32pm
We did the shaker at the tops of our lake house. Looks awesome.

I like the same on the front same on the back look.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 6:37pm
Unless you get a great package price, I'd chose what you want in what area, regardless if brands mismatch. My experience is the parts on X brand are only interchangeable on a few models and only for a few years.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 6:37pm
Not knowing what the property looks like and how the house will sit have you considered an overhead door on the back wall of the garage? Maybe on the farthest side?

I had Moen and Kohler, I won't buy Kohlers even for a dog house. I have switched to Grohe and Hans Grohe. What I don't like in all of them are the water restrictors,but many you can remove
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 6:42pm
Good thinking Gary. Great set up on lake properties where space is limited.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 6:49pm
Good feedback guys, thanks. I have considered a rear garage door and we may do that, depending on where we fall in the budget. The property is large enough (5 acres with ~360' frontage width) that I can go around the house to the back of it, if needed, so it won't be super critical. It is a nice thing to have...had that in our previous house before we moved from the Tulsa are to the OKC area.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 6:12pm
Playing around with siding texture and stone colors a little bit to see what we think. I think we want to find stone that is a bit more colorful, maybe do the garage doors in a black or blackwash look and maybe do some color shade variation on the gable peaks and the porches. Full plan set is complete and one contractor already bid...waiting for the rest so we can decide who we want to go with.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 6:20pm
This is what we did with the shaker siding on our house.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 6:21pm
Oh, steel roof too.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 6:32pm
That's the thought we had...either lighter or darker in the shaker part.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 6:40pm
No gable vents? Are you going with ridge cap vent? Cement siding? and garage doors tall enough for a tower?
Tim D
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 6:46pm
Andy,
The color scheme looks familiar!

Yes, as Tim mentions, attic ventilation is important. You probably haven't gotten that far yet to incorporate gable vents in your elevations.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 6:51pm
Quote No gable vents? Are you going with ridge cap vent? Cement siding? and garage doors tall enough for a tower?

I'm pretty sure venting is done in the eaves here, but will double check. We were thinking some the gable vents, even if they are just faux vents, might add to the look. We're leaning towards the cement board. The current door design is 10' wide and 10' tall.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 6:52pm
Great minds think alike Pete. ;-)
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 6:53pm
Something interesting I've noticed on this thread...nobody mentioned the lack of windows on the front gables. On another forum and Facebook, I got a lot of comments about that.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 7:01pm
Where the hell are your front windows!!!??! haha.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 7:02pm
Andy,
Yes, eves are vented but then you need a spot for the hot air to get out!!! Gable venting is best but as Tim mentioned ridge venting is an alternate. Unless absolutely needed due to say cathedral ceilings, I'd stay away from ridge venting with shingles. If you go with standing seam, then the ridge venting is good.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 7:14pm
Ridge venting or some sort of static vent on the surface of the roof seems to be common here.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Where the hell are your front windows!!!??! haha.

LOL!

So, what are your thoughts? We were struggling to get it to look symmetrical because of the floor plan, so we rotated the windows around to the sides. In addition, that side of the house will face west, so windows on that side will allow those rooms to cook on summer evenings.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Okie Boarder Okie Boarder wrote:

Ridge venting or some sort of static vent on the surface of the roof seems to be common here.

I HIGHLY recommend you look into the needed sq. in. needed. I think you will be surprised!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 7:30pm
I was trying to be polite and not say" hey, your house looks goofy with no windows. "

In our house the smallest window is 38x54 and it's laid out in a manor where every room has a minimum of 2 windows, not on the same wall. The cross breeze in our house is phenomenal! In FL we only run our ac 3 months a year.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

I was trying to be polite and not say" hey, your house looks goofy with no windows. "

What are your thoughts on doing something to make it look like windows are there, like a set of closed shutters?
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 8:26pm
Oh so you really aren't putting windows on the front tables? Oh boy I feel like an ass, i apologize. I'd do a false window with shutters. My parents house has 2 gables on the front, one is the master bath with no windows. They have a brick wainscot with bricks going up the center to the roof and two sconces on either side.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 8:49pm
I wasn't going to say it but windows would look better to me....but hey...its your house!
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 11:13pm
.......I'm a lighting snob. Another alternative to the sconces and gives a better appearance at night is recessed lights at the apex in the soffit at top of gables. On a steep pitch roof it looks excellent, lower pitch will probably require lowering the bulb more than usual. If it wasn't impossible to do this after construction I'd play with it on my house.

Don't forget to rough a drain in the garage 1/2" below the finished concrete AFTER inspection for a future crapper. Save you on impacts and smaller septic.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 11:26pm
Yep, planning not to do windows based on the earlier statement. No worries...no windows is kind of odd, but we think we can make it work. Do you have a picture of what your parents did?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2015 at 12:32am
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Don't forget to rough a drain in the garage 1/2" below the finished concrete AFTER inspection for a future crapper. Save you on impacts and smaller septic.

Todd,
Are you familiar with Oklahoma code as well as the county code Andy is building in?? What makes you thick septic/field sizes are governed by the quantity of water closets? The code is NOT the same in all areas.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2015 at 4:00am
Nope Pete never built in Oklahoma and I guess codes can vary by municipality too, snow loads don't get much attention here. But I've also never been in a municipality did not take into account the number of toilets for a chance to tax you in one way or another. I thought I'd remind Andy of a simple, inexpensive (2 hours, $150?) opportunity that might've been overlooked during the stressful process. Mrs. Okie Boarder might appreciate the extra toilet down the road as well as a potential buyer 10-50 years.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 8>
  Share Topic