NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

okie boarder's house

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 5678>
Author
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 8:52am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Sand blast the boards for a weathered barn wood effect.

Just plain ol sandblasting?
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 8:54am
Nice style choices for the kitchen. I like the white painted with that color of stone and have done very similar. We used the Kraft Maid from HD. Very good value and well made. Overlay doors sit on the faceframe or in box construction such as european they sit on the face of the box. Inset doors sit partially into the faceframe or all the way into the faceframe and can sit flush with the face of the box. All a matter of what look you want and considered a design choice. We did a partial overlay on a faceframe cabinet.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 8:58am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Andy,
A full overlay is where the door is almost the same size as the cabinet typical of a less expensive box cabinet. A partial overlay is used on face frame cabinets where you see a portion of the face frame. IE: If you have 1&1/2" stiles and rails on the face frame and the doors/drawer faces are a 1/2" overlay, you will see 1" of the face frame.

Ah, OK. I like more of an overlay, but not 100% sure what we'll do.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 9:01am
Originally posted by Okie Boarder Okie Boarder wrote:

Andy,
Sandblasting wood removes the softer summer wood and leaves the harder winter wood proud. Depending on what wood your contractor is going to use, the effect can be different. From your pictures of the wash stain you've experimented with, it looks like a "sugar" pine? Do some experimenting if you think sandblasting is a way you may want to go. There are other distressing techniques.

EDIT: As Duane mentioned, think of the weathered barn wood look with sandblasting.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 10:22am
Andy,
Here's a partial overlay door on a face frame cabinet.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 10:34am
Here's a box frame. Some call it a full overlay frameless cabinet.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 11:51am

Andy,
Sandblasting wood removes the softer summer wood and leaves the harder winter wood proud. Depending on what wood your contractor is going to use, the effect can be different. From your pictures of the wash stain you've experimented with, it looks like a "sugar" pine? Do some experimenting if you think sandblasting is a way you may want to go. There are other distressing techniques.

EDIT: As Duane mentioned, think of the weathered barn wood look with sandblasting.

Hmmm, might have to try this. The plan right now is pine and we're going to just cut it out of standard lumber. The thought was we would paint it white, but now with this experimenting, we're thinking of doing the faux barnwood look. We may go ahead and stick with pine...we like how it looks.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 11:53am
Definitely like the partial better, and I do like it just around the outside edges with the doors touching each other when they are doubles.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 11:59am
Andy
You should consider low voltage lights in the toe kick space. Looks great gives the custom look
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 12:04pm
Andy,
As mentioned, do experiment with sandblasting on different wood especially the pine you want to use. That sugar pine you used trying the wash staining, is not a good candidate. There's very little hardness difference between the winter and summer wood so the blasting may not give you the character.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 1:19pm
Will do...thanks for the suggestions all.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2016 at 6:48am

I noticed Duane mentions stone for counter top. Besides the higher cost, keep in mind it's porous so it can be a microbial breeding ground and is a PITA to maintain. Consider a solid surface.

Granite??? Pete, maybe you misread my post. Granite is the best top you can buy. IMO

Duane,
I've been neglect in my duty to back up my opinion with fact. Here's a link to an article by the solid surface association with links to scientific studies.
Link to article on bacterial growth in counter tops.
How's that bacterial laboratory you have in your kitchen working out?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2016 at 7:46am

I noticed Duane mentions stone for counter top. Besides the higher cost, keep in mind it's porous so it can be a microbial breeding ground and is a PITA to maintain. Consider a solid surface.

Granite??? Pete, maybe you misread my post. Granite is the best top you can buy. IMO

Duane,
I've been neglect in my duty to back up my opinion with fact. Here's a link to an article by the solid surface association with links to scientific studies.
Link to article on bacterial growth in counter tops.
How's that bacterial laboratory you have in your kitchen working out?

Actually Pete I am the one that has been neglect. Certainly don't want you to ever think that I take your wisdom lightly That is why we now prepare all of our meals on our 100 yr. old maple meat block. That microbial stuff is scary. Sure appreciate you correcting my negligence in researching my materials. We can all sleep better knowing we are doing things healthier. Thanks again, Duane
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2016 at 9:47am
Siding is progressing, among other odds and ends. We managed to get the garage insulation done this weekend and this next week, hopefully exterior doors go in and patios get poured. Once the patios are done, brick can be installed.

Captain Nick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2016 at 12:33am

Siding is progressing, among other odds and ends. We managed to get the garage insulation done this weekend and this next week, hopefully exterior doors go in and patios get poured. Once the patios are done, brick can be installed.

What are the dimensions for the garage?
Live life to the fullest!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2016 at 1:21pm
40' wide and 29' deep.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2016 at 12:47pm
Brick has been started and hopefully exterior doors go on this week. It took a while for the front and rear entry doors to come in, but they're here now. The weather doesn't look like it is going to cooperate much this week, but hopefully some good progress can still be made.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2016 at 6:24pm
Brick is almost done and the doors are starting to go in. This week the weather is supposed to be really nice, so hopefully a lot of progress can be made.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2016 at 11:36am
They got the brick done, after having to wait for one last delivery of brick that was out of stock. Now the focus is on finishing a few interior items, and sheet rock as far as the inside is concerned. The exterior is being trimmed out and prepped for paint. We're liking the way the trim looks and anxious to see it painted. We decided to do board and batten around the whole house at 2' centers. We also decided to trim out the transition from the shake shingle look in the gables and the board and batten siding.

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2016 at 8:51pm
That looks really nice. I love the garage. funny how different houses look in the different regions of the country. that is a house you would probably not see in new england
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2016 at 9:12pm
Yeah roof lines in NE are steep and with as few valleys as possible. Whoever designed my roof must not have been from snow country. I've had to install flashing that was never installed from the get go.

Okie Boarder--tell us about your storm shelter?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2016 at 11:39am
Yeah, we went with a less steep roof than what you typically see around here. We get snow and ice, but it is not common like other areas of the country, so we can get away with flatter roofs.

The storm shelter is one of the in floor units...I think it is 5x8 and can hold 8 people pretty comfortably. Here is the website to the company that we used.

http://www.ef5tornadoshelters.com/
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 1:49pm
Sheet rock is underway. It's fun to see the spacial feeling in the house change as the walls are closed up.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 12:02am
Sheet rock is done.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2016 at 2:43pm
Tape, mud and texture is done. We're about to be really busy as we go into this finishing stage.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2016 at 12:57pm
We're getting close to the end, but still a fair amount of work to do. We had final grading done in front by the house and the driveway cut in. We may do more dirt work later if there is time and money left in the budget, but we think we've got the major part of it complete. Concrete has been completed, as well. Interior final touches are in the works; closets are being built out and we will start painting the rooms as those are completed. Vanities and tile work will follow, then kitchen cabinets. Some exterior items are also being finished up, including trim, garage doors, well pump, electrical service and gas service.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2016 at 1:24pm
We've been making some good progress since the last post and hit a major milestone completion this weekend. We have the kitchen cabinets about 90% complete, with just a bit more work from our contractor this week. He built all the bulkheads with some of his guys, which now includes our older son for the summer. We, then, took over and tackled the rest of the cabinet build, completing the "trim out" (all face frames and trim). Over this long weekend, we were able to get everything done except the corner cabinets, which our contractor wanted to handle. We should be able to get everything prepped for paint this week and hopefully have them painted by the end of the week or next weekend. The coolest part of this is both our boys were able to be shown certain tasks and then pretty much work on their own. That was a very proud parent moment and really helped us move along at a good pace.

Several rooms, including the pantry, are all built with shelving, etc and painted now, as well. Next on the list is finishing the bathrooms.

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2016 at 10:24pm
there are skills learned here for your boys that will last their lifetime. My son is 24 he has been running my kubota tractor and a john deer back hoe since he was 5 or 6 . he has run my landscaping crew or worked at it since 13. followed me through countless hvac jobs . in the last 18 mos he has moved on to a large local developer. and splits his time as a heavy equipment operator and apprentice plumber. he is good at what he does and will as your sons be able to survive and thrive through any economy and life in general if you keep hanging them out in the wind to see what they can accomplish.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2016 at 7:08am
Looking great!
Js
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2016 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

there are skills learned here for your boys that will last their lifetime. My son is 24 he has been running my kubota tractor and a john deer back hoe since he was 5 or 6 . he has run my landscaping crew or worked at it since 13. followed me through countless hvac jobs . in the last 18 mos he has moved on to a large local developer. and splits his time as a heavy equipment operator and apprentice plumber. he is good at what he does and will as your sons be able to survive and thrive through any economy and life in general if you keep hanging them out in the wind to see what they can accomplish.

Yeah, we're glad they are getting this experience and agree how valuable it will be.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 5678>
  Share Topic