Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Efficient speed

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mandovoodoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandovoodoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Efficient speed
    Posted: May-15-2006 at 9:08am
I'm not particularly used to such a heavy boat. I'm actually more used to fixed keel sailcraft of mid size. So driving an inboard around is a bit odd. On the other hand, I can actually make it to work in less than 2 hours! Tragic, commuting by boat.

1986 Martinique 351. No idea if the knotmeter means anything. But I'm attempting to figure a reasonably fuel efficient (ha - with a V8???) speed. Unlike the outboards I've had (small, light), I get a range of att*tudes, with the nose finally holding way down at about 3000 rpm. Indicated 28 mph. Boat seems to love that speed. But the nose isn't all that much higher and the wake not all that much bigger at 2400 rpm & 22 mph.

Any idea on which is more lightly loading the engine, which is more efficient?

I still haven't dared a WOT run. Have a propellor coming in freshly balanced etc and will use that for a WOT run. At least the plugs look great, so the running mixture is OK.
www.mandovoodoo.com
mandolin research
1986 Martinique, TN
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2006 at 10:48am
Good question. No expert here, but I would guess the most fuel efficient speed is just past the point that the hull get on plane. Make sure you stay out of the secondaries.

Really, you commute to work via boat? I had that opportunity just recently while I was building a lake house for a client. But never did the commute via boat because of the added time involved. The lake house was on the same lake that has a public ramp less than a mile from my house.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandovoodoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2006 at 11:16am
I suppose my problem is that I'm used to light boats that pop up on plane. This one sort of gradually wallows up. Then backing off it goes from flat plane through a long transition, then into what feels like semi-displacement! I'll have to mark when the secondaries come in on the throttle. I'm not sure I can tell the exact point they start to open. I haven't had a carb on an engine in a very very long time. Or points!

I do commute by boat when I feel like it. Same distance as by car. About 2.5 miles. Temptation to skip work & head on down the lake. I live at TN river mile 608.1 and my turnoff into the cove for work is at 606, Cloyd's Creek. Beautiful this morning. Just a bit of skimming mist over the water's surface, very smooth, very quiet. Blue herons flying. Geese. I back away from the dock, get the bumpers stowed, then swing out into the main channel and bump up the speed. Woods on the right mostly, houses and woods on the left. Then a large old farm with a big house comes up on the right and I sweep left into Cloyd's Creek. Today I simply kept on plane at about 30 and slipped up the channel. Very smooth. Nice handling boat. Dropped to idle and ghosted into the slip. Pretty much fun. I carried a bunch of stuff for the shop, a bike and a box to ship to my brother and so on. Easier than dragging all that junk up to the truck! I'm amazed at how much stuff will just pile into a 20 ft bowrider.

Today all the gauges jumped and suddenly the oil pressure gauge doesn't wiggle & everything else is steady. Nice. Probably a ground somewhere started working better. Idiots have gone through the wiring, so I'm gradually chasing down stuff. Horn doesn't work, otherwise all is pretty good. Water filter isn't mounted right and the fittings are frozen, so I have to get another. Packing drips too fast, need to get some stainless wire & reset that. Depth finder doesn't work, but that is aftermarket. I have to trace down the sender and wires. It can work - clicked on for about 15 seconds one day. So I suspect a wire somewhere down under there.

And I need the dang pylon. Has the 2.5" hole and 1" socket, but no pylon. I haven't had time to track down what would be appropriate. There's a junky looking place nearby with old towers stacked next to it. I might just see if one of those will mount. Would look cool and work fine, I'm sure, if I can find one that will go over the bimini.

Guess I'll have to drive it home, too. Tragic.
www.mandovoodoo.com
mandolin research
1986 Martinique, TN
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2006 at 11:58am
Yep, CC's are semi-displacement hulls as opposed to planing hulls. This means it takes a lot of power to get it on plane and keep it there. I usually cruise around at about 2700 rpm or so.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2006 at 5:07pm
I've wondered about this myself,ysyally when I thought I might run out of fuel.I've been told when the bow was the highest or when the bow wake is furthest back from the nose.But I never could talk myself into that speed unless its really rough.I usually run about 2,500 when I'm cruisin,if ya got vacuum secondaries its simple to unhook them.

Good luck Munday
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2006 at 11:25am
I have a different opinion about the semi-displacement hull. I think that a CC is a planing hull. I see a trawler type hull as semi-displacement. a CC takes far less power to run a slower speeds that an outboard or I/O powered boat. The placement of the engine closer to the midpoint of the hull keeps the bow rise down. Check any performance info for an I/O or outboard and you will see fuel economy is very poor until the boat comes onto a plane usually in a range of 18-20 MPH. Boating magazine is a very good reference for fuel economy as they publish reports for many different setups. I would guess that your martinique would consume somewhere in the range of 6 to 8 GPH @ 28 MPH ~ 2800 RPM. therfore you would be around 4.7 to 3.5 MPG. When I get a chance I will look up some data in my old Boating magazines to see if I can find a similar boat with fuel consumption data.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandovoodoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2006 at 1:02pm
Well, I've got 11 hours on it, I've put in 35 gallons, and used 20 gallons of the existing fuel, so that 55 gallons for 11 hours. Pretty good. I don't accelerate very fast - mostly simply cruise. That's in line with your guess. Probably fairly efficient.

Cool this morning. I'm surprised at how well the windscreen keeps the wind off. Stick my head up 4 inches & it is blowing like mad!

My rebuilt prop will be in tomorrow, so I'll work a swap shortly and get the stock prop off to be tuned up.
www.mandovoodoo.com
mandolin research
1986 Martinique, TN
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2006 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by mandovoodoo mandovoodoo wrote:

I do commute by boat when I feel like it. Same distance as by car. About 2.5 miles. Temptation to skip work & head on down the lake. I live at TN river mile 608.1 and my turnoff into the cove for work is at 606, Cloyd's Creek. Beautiful this morning. Just a bit of skimming mist over the water's surface, very smooth, very quiet. Blue herons flying. Geese. I back away from the dock, get the bumpers stowed, then swing out into the main channel and bump up the speed. Woods on the right mostly, houses and woods on the left. Then a large old farm with a big house comes up on the right and I sweep left into Cloyd's Creek. Today I simply kept on plane at about 30 and slipped up the channel. Very smooth. Nice handling boat. Dropped to idle and ghosted into the slip. Pretty much fun. I carried a bunch of stuff for the shop, a bike and a box to ship to my brother and so on. Easier than dragging all that junk up to the truck! I'm amazed at how much stuff will just pile into a 20 ft bowrider.

Read this again in a Humphrey Bogart voice, Sounds like a segway into a murder mystery. I gotta stop day dreaming and get back to work

Good stuff voodoo.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2006 at 9:02pm
Alan: Took the words right out of my mouth. Definatly voodoo must be a transplant. I have been going to TN for 35 years and I have yet to meet a single person that talks like voodoo. Good stuff,tho.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandovoodoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2006 at 10:28pm
Hmm. I suppose I'm a transplant. Born Seattle 1954. Raised on Air Force Bases in the midwest, lots of time in Britain. About 1970 I started living in the south. Moved north to PA a little bit, didn't stick. 1970s in VA, 80s in SC & Egypt, from 87 on in Friendsville, TN. 35° 46.82'N, 84° 10.28'W I'm right on the main channel of the Tennessee River, left bank.

My shop, Gianna Violins, is on a tributary, Cloyd's Creek. 35° 45.16'N, 84° 10.34'W

I really like the boat. I've had a few powerboats. Clearly too dinky now that I have this thing to drive around. Biggest was a 1963 Norriscraft w/big twin 40 hp Evinrude. The Martinique ("Miss Demeanor") is a very nice stepup. I wondered about driving an inboard, but really no trouble. I've spent a great number of hours in small craft under sail and paddle, and many hours piloting a 40 ft cruiser, although docking that was always terrifying. It wasn't mine. Odd, I have more HP than the old cruiser did!

Gradually learning the Martinique. I checked a stretch of lake this evening then ran WOT for a bit. I don't think the prop is perfect. The engine seems to run well and the plugs look great. But I only got 4200 rpm. The stock knotmeter read 37 mph. I trust the tac! I'll have to check what WOT should get me with the right prop.

Getting into the carb was really a trip. I haven't done that in a very very long time. Figured it out pretty quick.

Actually the ride home was great. Very little wind. Warmed up the boat at fast idle out Cloyd's Creek. Once I could see the main channel I slid up to 3000 rpm then backed off to 2700. Coming out of Cloyd's Creek I can see downstream and upstream nicely and set a slow turn upstream into the main channel, straightening out to pass just left of a red buoy by Clayton's (mobile home guy) place. Then I can set a slight turn the right that finishes at my dock. A bit too quick, so I usually slice upstream a bit and do a bit of poking around before I go home.

This evening the sun was down quite a bit, I suppose it was around 7 pm. The clouds lined with silver. Lots of martins skimming the water, and a few herons. After my WOT run I saw two osprey hanging around the Coulter Shoals light. They nest there every year. We've watched generations pass through there. We also get loons in the lake, but it is too late for them.

Here's the chart: http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/opn/TNRiver/charts/84.jpg

Tomorrow Calhoun's at Ft. Loudon Marina is open for lunch. I'm going to take Gianna down there via water. Will be fun. Gives me an opportunity to screw up docking in front of people!

Last time I was there I saw a guy back a twin screw cruiser, an older one, into a slip. He stopped the boat six inches from the dock. Stepped off with the lines and tied up. Just beautiful. In contrast to most of the drivers in the funny slick new boats, who often can't figure out how to tie up.

Drop by and visit if you're near the Smokies. www.giannaviolins.com   

www.mandovoodoo.com
mandolin research
1986 Martinique, TN
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2006 at 11:05pm
VooDoo; Man I love how you talk and I can't even hear you, just read you.
Interesting bio. No boring life for you, huh?
Me and Mrs jbear have a place on Lake Norris, near Maynardville. Been goin' there over 30 years. I love the water and scenery just as you do, just can't say it the same. We will be there for the whole month of July. I think I gotta get over to your shop and meet you.
Checked out your website. Can you play some Bluegrass on them guys or are they only for fancy music?
Enjoy Calhouns. Best ribs....anywhere. We hit the location on the river in Knoxville in the shadow of Neyland Stadium.
Don't worry about the "low-speed" handling. You'll get the hang of it. I do love watching some of those guys, especially at the loading ramp.
Post us some pics of the boat and your location. We are a friendly bunch here, but nosy!

"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandovoodoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2006 at 11:34pm
I've been up in Norris. Took my batboat (1963 Norriscraft w/outboard. And fins) up there once or twice. If my vehicles would tow the Martinique I'd bring it up, but not quite big enough to do so. I could tow with my explorer if I wanted to swap transmissions on a regular basis!

We serve a rather large bluegrass audience. I hit that unusual crossover point pretty well. I'm classically trained in depth as a performer and am essentially a classical Italian school violinmaker, but I prefer to listen to and hang out with the dark side. I'll even pick up a b*njo at times.

And I do fine with low speed docking etc. I just get concerned. Possibly left over from the very poor brakes on the single screw 40 ft I used to get to drive. At least it was slow all the time!

The chart I reference above shows my house, my shop, and the dam. That's my usual poke around area. I like going up Tellico Lake. Clean and cool. Great skiing in the AM before other idiots get out there.

We get commercial traffic, which is fun. Lots of bass fisherpeople. Most people behave sanely, although few use horn signals. Summer weekends get some nuts out, but relatively few. And law enforcement is keeping the drunks off the water. We had a few killed and they cracked down. Correlated with a decrease in topless drunk behavior.

I'll attempt to remember my camera if we run up to Calhoun's tomorrow. I can hang a web page of images.

Where can I find a plyon to tow the kids skiing??? I suppose I'll just have to look around somewhere.
www.mandovoodoo.com
mandolin research
1986 Martinique, TN
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2006 at 8:37am
mandovoodoo,

I too have enjoyed reading your posts. You should be an author on the side.

As for the pylon, try two things: 1)Start a new thread in the "Parts Wanted" forum on this web site. 2)Search eBay and when you get your search criteria set, save your search with a daily email notification of new listings matching your search criteria. I see pylons on eBay on a fairly regular basis.

Also, if you are interested in a new one (at a premium price), you could check with Southeast Correct Craft. I think they have new replacements available.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandovoodoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2006 at 10:58am
http://www.giannaviolins.com/vl/gv/CC.html shows my boat at rest at work after driving in.

We went to Calhoun's at Ft. Loudon Marina for lunch. All you can eat $10 including tax & tip. Good deal! I had Gianna back out of the slip and drive us up there. Think she is getting a better handle on things. Showed her WOT performance, did a little better downwind. This thing really likes being wide open, but I think my mileage is very low like that. She made me dock at Calhoun's.

We got reminded at how oddly many boaters drive. Had a good sized ski boat come from our left suddenly across our path. Just stupid. First, cutting in front of us. Second, cutting off a corner out of the channel in shallow water. I've seen a big boat hit bottom in the same area years ago. Had to be towed away, probably did $10,000 damage! There are stumps.

And later, a ski boat changing speed and direction randomly in front of us. Circles, wild starts, etc. I suppose that type of thing is OK, but it is a bit disconcerting to me. I'm used to treating the main channel of the Tennessee as a major waterway to be kept reasonably clear and to behave in. There's plenty of non-commercial byways for fooling around in.

At least the PWC owners are much more polite and predictable now. I suspect our law enforcement folks pressed hard after a number of deaths and other stupid things.

One of my main concerns on the water remains the recreational weekend boater with a new 25 ft SeaRay. Lots of speed,lots of power, only moderate visibility, usually lots of distractions, and no idea about the rules of the road. Because I have no idea what they'll do, they worry me. Also, they no idea how long it takes to stop or turn a tow. I respect the tows. Can't imagine what some of these folks are thinking. I certainly can't hold my breath long enough for a tow to pass over me. And I signal my intentions or clearly move out of the channel when they're around. Hard enough to get up the upper Tennessee without having to worry about small craft!

www.mandovoodoo.com
mandolin research
1986 Martinique, TN
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2006 at 11:09am
Just expect everyone to pilot like retards and you won't be disapointed.

Have you checked the foam for saturation yet?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandovoodoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2006 at 11:20am
What foam? How do I check? What do I do?
www.mandovoodoo.com
mandolin research
1986 Martinique, TN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic