NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bilge pump installation

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GrandSlam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandSlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bilge pump installation
    Posted: May-15-2006 at 3:18pm
Hi guys, allow me to introduce myself, I am a new member had have just recently purchased a ’89 Fish Nautique. Although this is my first small boat, I have over 30 years of boating experience, but mostly on convertibles. This Fish Nautique is a project type boat and I can use your help and experience. As I have scanned this site I have already picked up many helpful hints. So thanks to all. My current project is to install another bilge pump, somewhere in the engine compartment. My boat has a pump in the stern and I believe when new the boat had a pump in the engine compartment as well. If so the prior own(s) remove it. I was thinking of installing a Rule – Mate style pump but I understand that a remote pump such as Par was used, if so based on your experience what type is the best way to go. Thanks in advance.
Jerry Troy

USCG Master, 100GT

1989 23' Fish Nautique

1992 47' Jersey SF
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2006 at 9:47am
Welcome to the board! Unfortunately, I am unfamiliar with a Par pump. However, I would not worry about what was originally supplied with the boat and use what you are comfortable with. I would think a conventional bilge pump would work fine. Simply glue the base screen to the bottom of the boat and wire it to the existing switch via a fuse or a seperate switch if you want to be able to run the pump individually. I suspect individually makes more sense.
rmcdonald View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2006 at 10:48am
Hi GrandSlam
I agree with david, install a seperate Rule or equivalent bilge pump.
David also makes a important point about the fuse, always better to be save the sorry.
You may also need a seperate out put as well or some sort or 1 way value set up if you are using the same water output on the hull.
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2006 at 11:40am
Welcome Grand Slam. I just bought a Cuddy Nautique which has the same hull as your Fish. The factory bilge pump set up is one 1300 GPH pump in the stern right behind the shaft log and another 1300 GPH pump just in front of the motor. I think any reputable brand would be fine. There are pads glassed in the floor for mounting the pumps using SS screws. Be sure to use a sealant when mounting the pumps to prevent water from entering the screw holes. Not sure how the factory wired the pumps, I have not gotten that far yet, but this is how I will do mine. The stern pump will be fused directly from the house battery through a float switch. This pump will be ready to run no matter if your battery selector is turn off. The forward pump will be controlled from the helm switch which is fused and has three positions. Off/Auto/Man in auto it will run through a float switch and in manual will run constantly. Hope this helps?
GrandSlam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandSlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2006 at 1:06pm
Thanks for the help, I will go with the Rule - Mate. Looks like I may be able to use the existing wires if I can identify them also there is already a through hull discharge fitting on the port side of the stern.
Thanks again, Jerry
Jerry Troy

USCG Master, 100GT

1989 23' Fish Nautique

1992 47' Jersey SF
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2006 at 8:36am
Atwood also makes a decent self contained pump with builtin float switch.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic