Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Am I screwed??

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
crooney70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooney70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Am I screwed??
    Posted: May-18-2006 at 12:32pm
I just bought a 1979 Ski Tique (on May 8th) for $3000. I am a novice at inboards. Everything seemed ok with the boat when we tested it in the water and the seller said everything in it was solid. The engine sounded great and the floor solid as well. Just needs lots of tlc and a good cleaning(the hull especially) Well as I am beginning to clean the inside, I have noticed the fiberglass covering the stringers is craked all along the top and water has rotted out the stringers I am almost certain. This is now a project boat! That is not what I wanted, and especially for $3000! I did not know what to look for to see if stringers were solid until looking around in the forums here. Man do I now feel stupid! Do I have any recourse with this guy? What should I do? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
crooney70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooney70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2006 at 12:44pm
Me again. This guy had to know the stringer system was rotted out. I mean I am a novice and it only took me a week to figure it out. He owned the boat for 3 years. I mean, I would not sell it, and fail to inform people of its true condition.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2006 at 2:14pm
Tough question to answer. As to whether you have recourse, it will depend upon your state and local laws.

On the other side, $3000 is actually a pretty low cost for the boat. If I assume it had a trailer, and that everthing is there, that is about what I'd expect to pay for a project boat. It is a lot of work, but you can replace the floor and stringers, fix the upholstery and buff out the exterior and probably have a boat that's worth 5-10K depending upon how well it comes out. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2006 at 2:15pm
P.S.

If you're not having any trouble's with the boats performance, just use it this summer and figure out the repairs over the winter. BKH
Livin' the Dream

crooney70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooney70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2006 at 2:40pm
It is actually in pretty good cosmetic shape inside. The seats are in good shape as well as the carpet. I would not replace the carpet if the floor did not need replaced. The performance of the boat seemed ok when we test drove it with the previous owner, but again that was the first time I had been in a correct craft. It does have a trailer but not original. The engine seams to be fine. It runs very smooth and has the great exhaust note out the back, plenty of power with the 4-barrel. I wonder what floor and stringer replacement costs? Any way, I'll see how it is in the water next weekend.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2006 at 3:51pm
I agree with BKH...enjoy this summer and redwork the stringers and floor in the fall or winter...
From what you describe , you got a good price...runs good and looks good is easily a 3000.00 boat. Stringer and floor work is not high cost if you do it...and it can be done by a novice if you get the right info....a bunch of us have done it and can tell you how to go about it!
Basics...when your ready , . 1.Pull the old floor up and keep it for a pattern...2.check for soaked foam ( usually soaked if stringers are rotted)...3.determine if sringers are to be replaced or repaired and rework them...4.add new foam if you wish 5. replace the floor and glaas in. 6. add carpet.
You won't ever need to do it again!
If you wish to take it on...when your really, we can assist in each step!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2006 at 3:58pm
Hey...forgot to mention...doing it your self is a good way to learn more! For some it's a big part of the enjoyment, knowing you did the work!
Also...in regards to the stringers, overall , they might be better than you think...you won't know for sure until you can see them all and probe a bit. In many cases, stringers can be hardened if the rot is not too deep and in spots...or new sections can be mated in.
stang

The Super Air

crooney70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooney70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2006 at 4:03pm
Thanks guys! I feel much better about the boat now and I appreciate your advice on how to do the project. I will contact you when the time comes this fall.

Chris
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2006 at 4:11pm
Well, post some pictures of that boat in the meantime. BKH
Livin' the Dream

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2006 at 4:47pm
If the bolts to the motor and tranny mounts goin into the stringers are tight, then the stringers may not be as bad as you think.
Redelf75 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redelf75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2006 at 5:03pm
To address your first concern...depending on a few more details like engine condition, I don't think anyone on this site would say you got ripped off. You probably paid for what you got and the boat will probably be fine as is for at least the season. Plus, it may be cheeper than you think to repair (not replace) the stringers if you're not into doing it yourself.

One thing for sure...you came to the right place for help.
crooney70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooney70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2006 at 9:21pm
Hey BC on wawasee! I am on Tippy! So maybe you could give me some "in person" advice this fall when I decide to tear into the floor. The motor is bolted very solid to the main stringers so maybe it is not as bad as I was worried about. I will post some photos after I detail the boat on Sat. I only have until 3pm though. I forgot Imy wife and I have to go to one of her co-workers wedding. At least there will be free beer!
"Rooney" on Tippy
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2006 at 9:38pm
Good comments and advice.
Scott
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2006 at 10:10pm
The only thing the stringers do on a tique is hold the engine down and give you a place to screw the floor down to. I cut the top off the runners from the front to the back (the exposed part like 3.5 feeet) and used a chisel and took what was left of the wood and put a 2x6 (or was it 8) and shoved it into the same hole and used bolts to secure it to the existing fiberglass. It is thick fiberglass and when I put the bolts in it is was as strong as you could hope for. It was a great strong fix and will last a lifetime. It took a day to replace. It took me more time to clean up the motor mounts and align the engine again then it did to replace the wood. If you have to remove the foam because it is soaked then you may want to gut it. But if you rather play then fiberglass the this is the fix that I would choose.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2006 at 7:34am

stang72 -
       If the stringers have small soft spots what do you use to harden them,resin,Por 15 or what ? My stringers had some delaminated
fiberglass , but the motor mounts are tight and I'll pull the carpet & floor in the fall.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2006 at 9:28am
First cut away the loose (cracked glass) and scrape away soft wood (what comes off easy)...wire brush and sand a bit...then coat it until it won't take any more(all is absorbed)
Products...you can thin epoxy resin...or use gitrot...or minwax wood hardener. I used the minwax product...my soft spots were where the cross section that holds the pylon meets the main stringer and not very bad...about a 1/2 inch into the stringer was firm.
stang

The Super Air

fredo68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredo68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2006 at 10:30am
crooney70

fredo68 whitley co here
if you bought the boat
from a private owner you
have no legal recourse
it was an as-is sale
if you bought it from a
registered indiana boat
dealer he would have
certanly had you sign a
as-is buyers guide. 3g's
for a neat old boat even
needing work isnt bad,
i bought my 68 mustang
basket case up at james
14 years ago for 2500.

cheer up no worries mate

fredo68
fredo68
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2006 at 11:32am
If the motor mount bolts are holding firm, then use it as it is for now. I would go ahead and fix the cracked fiberglass so that no (more) water can get in this season. Then you can probe and fix over winter as everyone is suggesting. To fix the cracks, simply buy some fiberglass cloth tape, roughen up the cracked areas and glass in the tape over the cracks.

To probe for soft spots, drill 3/8" inch holes or so in suspect areas. You will know when you hit solid wood. If it soft, drill a series of holes in the soft area and use Gitrot or thinned epoxy resin (thin with acetone) in the holes until it will not take more. If the rot is really bad, you will never get the holes to stop taking resin and then you know you have to replace the stringer.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2006 at 11:44am
Chris unless your planning on moving to Tampa/St. Petersburg area, it's going to be pretty hard for me to help you out. I need to change my signature since I'm not in IN any more.
crooney70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooney70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2006 at 11:53am
Thats ok BC. But I do feel much better now after looking at some of these boats on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-Correct-Craft-Ski-Time-V8-50hrs-on-eng-wake-tower_W0QQitemZ4642086249QQcategoryZ63686QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Correct-Craft-Mustang-Ski-Wakeboarding-Boat_W0QQitemZ4639638098QQcategoryZ63686QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I promise to post photos of mine after saturday.

Thanks guys for all of the info and encouragement. If I can sand wood floors in my old house, make orthopedic instuments at work, then I can definately takle this boat project and have fun learning in the process. And again, it might not even be as bad as I originally thought. I am just going to enjoy it this summer!
"Rooney" on Tippy
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2006 at 4:35pm
$3,000 for any Correct Craft boat is good. As long as your hull and engine are in good condition, you would expect to spend some money fixing it up. I think most of us on this CCF.com have purchased their boats knowing they had to spend money on it to get it right. For me, it was over $7,000 for a $9,900 boat. Don't sweat it, just work with what you have. That's my opinion.

Ken
crooney70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooney70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 11:30am
Photos!

Well guys, Here are the photos I said I would post.
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1336&yrstart=1976&yrend=1980

Decided to start a diarie. I forgot to take a photo of the engine but might do so this week.
"Rooney" on Tippy
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 11:56am
For us lazy people...

Crooney70's boat
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 12:01pm
Very nice, worth the money imo.
Should perform nicely with a modern prop.
Consider replacing all steering and control cables with some Morse red-jecket if they are original, replace any cable ends that tend to saw themselves over time. Loss of control is not pretty.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 12:02pm
Chris,

I would be very happy with that purchase. Looks very complete, and the rub rail, windshield, guages and seats looks to be complete and in great shape. I would say enjoy it this summer, and maker her like new this winter. BKH
Livin' the Dream

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 12:06pm
Oh, and if your stringers are punky, consider attaching your steering like this. If the pivot pulls away from the stringer, you loose steering...

This way is bulletproof and more modern

http://webpages.charter.net/ggearloose/Steering2.jpg
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 12:19pm
Now that is something I like!
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 12:41pm
Hey, that's not a bad looking rig. I was expecting worse. You'll have a great summer with this boat. I agree, the winter time will be an opportunity to fix it up. I'd make sure all the mechanical parts that ensure safety are up to snuff. Cosmetics can come later. Nice boat, enjoy!

Ken
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 11:45pm
Chris,
Assuming you get it all worked out and you will! Bring it to the green lake reunion!
stang

The Super Air

dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2006 at 12:20am
Your boat looks very nice ! My 82 2001 looks almost as nice for $ 6000. I think you got a great deal . Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic