NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cam selection and install

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cam selection and install
    Posted: May-30-2006 at 8:41pm
79Nautique, Gottaski and Munday already gave me some helpful tips as I prepare to install a cam on my '90 Nautique, but I figured I would start my own topic.

In the coming months I will be adding GT40P heads and a Weiand Stealth intake manifold. While Ive got that much of the motor apart, Ive decided to add a cam to make the most of the upgrades.

Ive searched this site and found specs for the upgraded cams that several of you are using (79Nautique, AWhite70, captan1) which was a great starting point. I called Comp Cams and got their recommendation, which seems right in line with what others have. Here are the specs:

Grind Number: XM262H
RPM Range: 1300-5500
Duration @.050" (I/E): 218/224
Lift w/ 1.6 Rocker (I/E): .493/.509
LSA: 112 degrees

The cam will still idle nicely, and Im not worried about torque below 1300 RPM since I get an instant 3k RPM coming out of the hole at WOT. My mostly stock motor turns 4600 RPM now with the new prop, so 5k+ with the upgrades is very possible. Overall I think its a good fit.

However, Ive read that the stock valve springs on the GT40P's are only good up to .500 of lift, which I would be exceeding on the exhaust valves. The comp cams tech said that I need upgraded spings regardless of my cam selection. Is this true? Or would I be fine running a cam with slightly less lift?

I would like to do a full rebuild on the motor (1165 hrs) eventually, but not for another 5 years. Would it be worthwhile to put on a new timing chain now, or not bother? I'm leaning towards putting the cam in with new lifters and calling it a day.

When it comes to rejet my carb, I found a full kit from Summit for $40. Should work fine, right?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2006 at 8:57pm
I question the lift on the EX it seems a shade high, but regardless your getting new heads so have better springs installed or spec before you buy the heads.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2006 at 9:06pm
Well, the heads are new to me- does that count? I picked them up for cheap on ebay, and theyre at the shop now getting cleaned up and a basic valve job.

AWhite70's cam actually has a bit more lift with the same duration, I believe. Whats your vote, 79- upgrade springs for another $100 or choose a cam with less lift?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2006 at 7:20am
Just be judicious with the spring pressure else you decrease the odds of the flat-tappet cam surviving.

Follow break-in to the letter; worse thing you can do is to let the engine idle at first start.

Suppose you must have an oj prop to get that 3000rpm launch? That was my experience, its like a high-stall converter on a car and a kick in the pants. The acme was very 1:1. predictable and linear, but screwed up my flat wake.

That kit may be best for you, but beware jets are only $5 a pair, and its a fair bet you have 66's in the primary now. The kit is good value but you'll have a bunch of sizes you will never need unless you have another vehicle with a 750 or 850 holley.
You will have to gauge whether to spend that money on the kit, or just on the sizes you predict you may need and a couple sets of blue non-stick bowl and metering plate gaskets.
I suppose for about a dollar a pair thats not a bad deal at all.

To jet the secondaries consider the 4150 conversion kit that adds a metering block to the secondaries in lue of the metering plate...its the only way to smartly tune the secondaries. The metering plate you have now does not accept screw-in jets.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2006 at 8:13am
I would definitely put in new springs with the new cam. Preferably the same brand as the cam (install the ones the cam mfg. recommends). You'll also need new lifters for sure, I'd even consider replacing pushrods. At least ask the cam mfg. what they recommend.

If all your stuff is one brand if something brakes you have a better chance of them working with you. If not they'll blame it one one of the other (not theirs) brand components.

Everything in my valvetrain is Comp Cams except the valves and the rocker arms. When Comp Cams ground the cam wrong I had no problem getting them to replace the cam, lifters, and pushrods for free.

As was said previously after the cam install pay carefull attention to breakin. Start the engine and take it to 2000-2500rpm as soon as possible and let it sit there, varying rpm in that range for 30 minutes. Then shut it down change the oil and let it cool completely before running again.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2006 at 1:18pm
Thanks for all the replies, they are very helpful!

Gottaski, the prop is an Acme 470 (12.5x15 3-blade). Acme says it has as much surface area as a 4-blade, and I believe it with how much bite it has. With 1" less pitch I turn it 200 RPM more than the 4-blade OJ that I replaced. With just the DUI distributor, my otherwise stock motor can keep right up with my dad's '03 196 with the Excalibur (330 horse) out of the hole. He pulls on me at 35+ MPH though. Ski wake is still great.

AWhite, I asked the Comp Cams tech if he had springs that matched the cam, and he said they have something "that would work."   TFS and Crane both have spring kits that the mustang guys on corral.net seem to like with the GT40p's. I do see your point about having all the components match, though. Do you have a part number for the springs you're using?

I also got a few tips from an accomplished engine builder:
- A cam with a little more duration might be desireable.
- He said that the valve springs should NOT be shimmed.
- He also suggested installing an "over the counter" (non-Ford) roller chain and sprocket, as the stock parts have ~9 degrees retard built in. I am not familiar with this at all.

Can anyone add to these comments?

I think I will get the jet kit from Summit. As long as im buying 4-5 pairs, Im within a few bucks of the kit anyways. Ill be glad I have the extras if I ever get a Barry Grant carb- they would be interchangable, correct?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2006 at 4:51pm
replace the timing chain it's going to be off any way and they are not that expensive.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2006 at 2:17pm
Quick update:

On Thursday I ordered a cam based on the suggestion from Cam Research Corp. I came across this company on one of the Ford message boards- either Corral or Ford Truck Enthusiasts- and decided to give them a call. All they work on are Fords, and they know their stuff. In addition to being thoroughly familiar with my exact engine and heads (much more confidence inspiring than Comp Cams), the guy I spoke to had also sold a number of cams to people with ski boats. He was familiar with the short setups that sometimes exist on private lakes and knew the name "Ski Nautique" (which is more than I can say for any of the other cam companies I called).

He suggested a cam with the following specs:
RPM Range: 2500-5200
Duration @.050" (I/E): 218/222
Lift w/ 1.6 Rocker (I/E): .490/.490
LSA: 110 degrees

Since everything they do is custom, he said he could make whatever I wanted. However, I went with his exact recommendation based on his experience and the following points he made:

-He said that 110 deg LSA was plenty safe on a ski boat (no real danger of reversion), and it would give better midrange power than one with 112 deg.
-He said any more lift (especially on the exh) would not be beneficial with the GT40P heads. While they would flow well up to .500 of lift, going up to and beyond that would decrease runner velocity (hurting torque).
-He said that any more duration would put me on the verge of hurting my holeshot. While comp cams said their cam would be good from 1300-5500 RPM (with a more aggressive grind), he didnt see how they could make that claim based on my specific components.

Also of note, their prices were better than Comp Cams! For $60 more than the cam/lifter kit ($240 total) I opted to have them break the cam in on a special machine. Naturally, all lifters will be carefully marked. I ordered springs at the same time that match the cam, and do not require machining on the GT40p's.

Overall I was very happy to find a company that was so knowledgable and I highly recommend them based on my experience so far! I will make sure to update this thread once I get everything installed.

FYI, I asked if they had access to reverse-rotation blanks, and unfortunately they did not.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2006 at 3:25pm
Thats the cam i'm runnung comp 262.Like you i was suspect called comp tech 3 times got 3 answers,I polled my uncle and some of his buddies and contacts to arrive at that choice.Very happy with it,
Glad you found someone that made you comfortable its a hard choice,I'd put new timing set in it too.Hope all your components come together to give ya a real nice package.

Good luck Munday
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2006 at 3:38pm
Thanks Munday, I think the package will come together nicely. I was all set to order the Comp Cam before I found this company. Their knowledge was extensive and the price was better so it made my decision easy! I actually ordered a timing set from them as well- a double roller billet set with a nice German chain. I was going to go with a Cloyes True Roller, but this was only a few bucks more.

Id be curious to hear what kind of performance increase you saw from just the cam- I have a reasonable idea what to expect from the heads and intake manifold, but no one else I know of has changed a cam on this hull.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2006 at 3:53pm
I question the need for the breakin machine run and it's effectiveness and possiblity of it screwing up the cam. It's all good and dandy to have the lobes broken in and all but what they can't duplicate is the shape or condition of the cam bearings in your block, nor can they duplicate the lifter bores and location.

So what you are going to end up with is a new cam that has bearing surfaces that are not seated to your bearings and lifters that are not matched to your block, seems like a waste off money and leaves the door open for possible failure because it was broke in on a different set-up that cannot be matched.
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2006 at 5:24pm
TRBenj,

Here's a link where a guy added cam, gt40p, manifold and ignition and claims a a huge increase.

Caution he's an MC guy so you really never know

http://www.skiboathelp.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000352.html
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2006 at 6:07pm
This is what the guy claims:

"So if anybody was curious I did the ultimate upgrade to my 80 powerslot and decided to go for the gusto. I took the completly stock block out and dynoed it. The motor produced 245 hp at 4200 rpm. While this was great I decided to toss on every bolt on upgrade I could conjure up. Initially I tossed out the stock cam and put in a comp cams 35-000-5. This is actually a cam they toss in RV's, but since it works off idle - they recommeded it. Next I found a used set of GT-40 heads, I had a new upgrade valve job done and had the heads cleaned up from the casting flash. Next I tossed out the old boat anchor iron intake manifold and updated to a eldebrock performer manifold. Orginally most boats came with stranded copper spark plug wirs, I pitched those in leu of a some nice Ford motorsport 9mm racing wires. Also the delibated stock coil got tossed and upgraded with an nice MSD blaster 2 coil. Just to be stupid I also installed a MSD 6BTM ignition box. I kept the stock holley but changed the jets down two sizes and put in a smaller power valve. After this was all finished I tossed the motor on the dyno and was pleasntly supprised to see a whopping 382 HP at 5200 rpm. This was supprising to see this with the stock pistons, rods, and crankshaft still in the block."

Just for the record, I think the guy is full of it. 140hp from those mods does not seem even remotely realistic. I am hoping for a gain of around 80hp (which may be optimistic). I am working with better heads (GT40p's have smaller combustion chambers and flow better than the GT40's), better intake manifold (Weiand Stealth vs. Edelbrock Performer), and better ignition system (DUI vs. Blaster 2 coil/MSD ignition box). Not sure how the cams would compare since the p/n he references is for a cam blank, not a specific grind. It would also have to be a pretty aggressive RV cam to pull up to 5200 RPM.

Not sure how he could benefit from smaller jets and power valve. Probably someone playing make-believe.
SS-201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS-201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 5:44am
Amazing, that cam will probably get you 20-30 HP with right heads. Be sure you know how to figure lift also you can change to 1.7 rockers to gain lift. However without the knowledge you can gain zero. CC hulls use about 20+ hp to gain more speed, go figure. With the roller timing you also can retard or advance 4-8 degree the cam. Also you should degree the cam to find dead center in relationship to the cam. Cam grinder have their own querks ,etc build in advance or retard.
If you don't understand you have to PRELOAD the lifters, if not lot's of power will be lost. cam should come with the lifter how to.
The deck clearance will figure in the lift factor,etc.
Lot's of things to know, good luck.
SS 201
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 3:08pm
Bill, thanks for chiming in. The 1.7 rockers would bring me to about .521 of lift, but Im afraid that would push my RPM range further up than I want to be.

My father and I are mechanically inclined and are not afraid to take on this project, but installing a cam is something neither of us have done before. I have read over the procedure outlined by CompCams here. The writeup includes degreeing the cam and preloading the lifters. I'll install the cam while the heads are off, degreeing it with this degreeing wheel and this cam checking fixture (to check both TDC and lift). I plan to install the cam at 0 deg (no advance or retard) since the RPM range specified by Cam Research is exactly what I want. I believe I read that advancing the cam 4 degrees shifts my power curve up 200 RPM (correct?). Once the heads are installed, Ill check the lifter preload. Im planning on reusing my stock pushrods unless the measured preload isnt between 0.02"-0.04". I'm gonna pick up this pushrod length checker.

Am I missing anything? Any other tools or parts I should be aware of? Thanks to everyone for their help!
SS-201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS-201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 6:02pm
True,with the 1.23.1. You have a handel on everything. Good Luck.
SS 201
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2006 at 4:00pm
In doing some more reading, I have managed to confuse myself yet again.

The GT40p heads I am installing are used and are in the process of being cleaned up. This includes some milling to ensure the heads are flat. This brings into question the pushrod height. Shimming may be neccessary to get the correct lifter preload, and custom length pushrods may not be out of the question.

Would it be worthwhile to convert the heads to accept stud mount roller rockers to give me an adjustable valvetrain? Or is shimming the pedestals easy and effective enough not to worry about it?

Converting to stud mount would cost $150 in machine work while theyre at the shop, and ~$250-300 in parts (rockers/studs and possibly guide plates). In this case, I assume I could reuse my stock pushrods if they are in good shape?

Thoughts?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2006 at 4:06pm
your going to have to check the pushrod length regardless, I would go with the stud mounts and if you use roller rockers you are going to have to use guide plates. I'm going to use scorpion billet roller rockers 3/8 stud mount, guide plates and .080" walled pushrods.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2006 at 4:19pm
79, I know Ill have to check the height no matter what. The question is whether or not avoiding shimming is worth $400+. A few HP would be nice too, but probably not worth the cost for that reason alone at this point. Im leaning towards shimming based on the cost, as long as someone can finish convincing me its not that difficult!

FYI, Ive read the Comp Magnum stud mount RR's do not require guide plates- dont know how true that is.

Any reason why youre going with 3/8" studs vs. 7/16"?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2006 at 4:34pm
You want the pro magnum RR, the magnums are junk stamped steel. You'd be better off using the pro comp aluminum rockers on e-bay if cash is an issue.

Top of the line are Scorpion or Crane Gold billet RR. I can get a better price on the Scorpion's so that's why I'm using them. From what I have read shiming the heads isn't the way to go.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2006 at 4:36pm
seems awfull high to pull the pressed in studs and tap them with 7/16 thread for 400 bucks.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2006 at 5:12pm
$400 would include the RR's themselves- the machine shop can do the conversion for $150. I wasnt planning on cheaping out if I do the conversion, if Im going to bother at all, Ill do it right. The Pro Comps or Scorpions are what I would go with if I bought new.

I have a line on some lightly used (1000 miles) Crane gold RR's (7/16") for under $200, so thats a decent option.

If I go this route, Ill have ~$1000 into the heads (used heads, cleanup/valve job, springs/retainers/locks, stud conversion, rockers) which is WAY more than I wanted to spend on them. Oh well.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2006 at 9:48am
The pro comp stuff is extruded AL, I would rather have billet AL scoprion's.

There's a cheapy set of billet's that look like the pro comp's for $125 on ebay.

I'm look'n to be under the 1K by a couple hundered but not sure what my buddy is going to charge me for increasing the valves and cleaning up the bowls and smoothing them out. I've got to get him a pattern of the exhaust manifolds so that he knows how much he can raise the roof of the exhaust ports on the heads. I've got 400 in the casting, valves and rockers. It will be another 200-300 for the springs, retainers, studs, and guide plates.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2006 at 10:27am
Whats a grand or so amongst friends anyhow, I spent about 700 or so I think on the GT40P head and RR upgrade but that was with no machining on the castings other than for the larger valves and getting a deal on used scorpion pedestal mount RR. I also got lucky and didnt have to replace the pushrods, or the valve covers. Chris which castings are you starting with over there?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2006 at 10:40am
I'm using D0OE heads which have a 58cc combustion chamber, I'm enlarging the valves for Ferrea 1.94/1.60 undercut swirl polished valves, doing a mild port/polishing, mainly to the exhaust ports, guide plates, screw in studs, scorpion roller rockers and I'm leaning towards some Comp Cam's Hi-tech push rod's, I like what they have done to the tip radius vs the full radius tips everyone else uses.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2006 at 11:48am
79, I have some more questions for you, if you dont mind (Or Bill or anyone else who wants to chime in)!

I see there are several lengths of studs available from Summit. Do I want the 1" rocker arm nut thread length like these from ARP?

With the stud mount rollers Ive heard it is necessary to run hardened pushrods. Since the stud mount setup is adjustable, is it possible to order pushrods before getting everything installed and checking the length? Probably not, but just checking. It would be nice to place only one order.

As far as guideplates go, anything I should be aware of? These from Ford Motorsports should work on my GT40p's, right?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2006 at 12:02pm
the studs look fine the rollers take a longer thread with the polylocks, All push rods are hardened, You want heavy walled pushrods.

Your guide plates are fine if you are using 5/16" push rods I'm going with 3/8" not sure what the stock length is for the gt40's but what you can do is order a couple different length and send the others back. I have time so I was going to check mine first then order them.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2006 at 11:37pm
Chris; Once again I have no idea what you guys are talkin' about but I think I like the sound of it.

Now you know why the '80 was bone stock when you looked under the cover. And here I thought all ya had to do under there was change the oil, impeller and the plugs once-in-a-while. Silly me.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
SS-201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS-201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2006 at 5:35am
Comp will tell you the spring height and springs to use, also pushrods. Unless you are trying to obtain 6000 rpm or better the parts will be fine. If you tun nitrous or blower these parts would be necessary, a waste of money but a great conseveration piece. Unless you take off the prop and just run the nut a honest 6000- 7000 is a tough nut to crack.
A tip, if you remove the mufflers, match the gaskets to the head and exhaust you will gain, if you don't all these upgrades will never reach their potential.
SS 201
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2006 at 7:22am
Good info Bill, mine turns just under 6k when I'm by myself that's why I'm going with the 3/8 and billet. I've been thinking of removing the mufflers for a while so I guest when I change the heads I'll run new exhaust hose too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic