Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carb Fuel Line

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb Fuel Line
    Posted: June-01-2006 at 9:56am
I just installed a new carb on my Cuddy 350 OMC with a quadrajet. The PO stripped the hex off of the brass fitting that connects to the carb. This is a pre-bent steel line with flared straight fittings on each end. What are my options? Can I buy a straight section and bend myself? If so what size is it and where do I get one? DIM has a line but it is for a Holley.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2006 at 11:25am
Yes, you do it yourself. However, chances are not good that you will find a pre-made straight line of the correct length. So, you will need to buy a flaring tool (not expensive and available almost any auto parts store). you will also need to buy a bending tool. Practice with the flaring tool before bending the line.

Not sure on the size, but my GUESS is 5/16"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2006 at 2:13pm
David, I am borrowing a bender and flare tool from the plant here and hope to pick up tubing on the way home. Thanks
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2006 at 2:42pm
while you have the line off use a 1" wrench and remove the other fitting attached to the carb and replace the fuel filter and nylon gasket on the end of the fitting. You don't have to replace the whole line just a small section and install a clear inline filter using rubber hose in between the two steel line sections. This will make the carb filter last long and easier to change in the future.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2006 at 8:58am
Doh! Picked up new fuel line on the way home ready to install and found out that the new carb has what looks like a 3/8" inlet instead of the 5/16" I allready shipped back the old core so I can't swap it out. Well it's back to the parts counter, might be able to put something together like 79 suggested.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2006 at 9:13am
there are two types or length fuel filters used on Q-jet carb's, a short and 1ong version to tell the difference, look at the piece that has the 1" hex if it has a long round section 1/2"-3/4" long in front of it, then get the long filter that goes in the carb, and don't forget to get some rubber hose and clamps for the size tubing you have to install the inline filter.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2006 at 10:30am
I am not sure I understand what 79 is saying, but my advice is to NOT have any rubber fuel line on the pressure side of the fuel pump for safety reasons on a marine inboard engine.

Sorry about the incorrect assumption on the line size

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2006 at 12:59pm
David, you are correct, I am concerned about rubber hose on the pressure side of the fuel pump and you were also correct about the line size. The existing line is 5/16" but the new carb is 3/8" I think? Now that I have a bender and flaring tool, I should be able to get something to work.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2006 at 4:07pm
Don't forget to put the nut on the line BEFORE you make any tight radius bends and before you flare the second end. The nut will not slid past even a relatively generous radius. Make sure the bend coming out of the carb is not too close to the end so that the nut has room to slide clear of the threads on the carb inlet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2006 at 8:38am
Pick up an adapter that went from 5/16" tubing to a 5/8-18 thread in the carb. Worked great. I had to cut off about 1/2" from the existing tubing and reflared with new nut. Simple repair. Thanks for the help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic