NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2001 Wakeboard Config Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2015 at 5:28pm

Does anyone have any comments (good or bad) regarding this pylon extension, or any others? I prefer to get one that slides over the existing factory pylon.

That was what I had on the Supra I used to have, when I first bought it. It did a great job and was definitely better than just the tow hook. I agree with some of the earlier comments about an extended pylon versus the tower. I didn't see a noticeable difference when I went to a tower, except board storage and the ability to put speakers up there.

Quote Also, I noticed that in almost all of the wakeboard training videos that I've viewed, the front skeg has been removed from the wakeboard. Is this the preferred configuration, or just the recommended configuration for beginners?

We started with the fins (skegs) in, but quickly went to no skegs at the recommendation of others. The fins do help for the board to track where you want, but taking them out forces you to use your edges more, which can benefit you later.

Quote Additionally, what length tow rope would you recommended for the 2001 for beginners? I've currently got a generic ski tow rope, but I have no idea how long it is.. I'm sure that at least some of these questioned have been answered in the past, so I apologize if I'm repeating them.

I would start with a long length so you have plenty of room to maneuver and get used to riding. As soon as you are comfortable, shorten up to wherever your wake is nice and clean. The shorter you go with the rope, the more you'll get into the clean lippy area of the wake, that is also more narrow. Even if you don't want to do any jump tricks, this allows you some fun edging and carving areas and the ability to do some lip slides on a nice clean peak. Once you get the hang of it, look into getting a wakeboard specific rope that has minimal to no stretch to it.
86ER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2015 at 11:21pm
Based upon member recommendations, I'm going with the following:

1) ACME 540 prop (already purchased)
2) Stainless Ski High X-Pole pylon extension
3) Hyperlite Motive 140 cm wakeboard (already purchased)
4) Proline (Dyneema) 80 foot LG2 3 section flatline tow rope (already purchased)

Thanks again to all who contributed. Now I just have to wait another 5 months before I can test this stuff out.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2015 at 1:10am
Sounds like a good start. If you need any more gear, let me know. We still have a few board/binding sets and rope.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2015 at 1:37am
I know, the wait seems forever this time of year. Just today a guy I work with and I were talking about going boating 5 months from now. How come you don't partake in water sports in FL in the winter?

Nice list! Maybe add a pair of gloves? And does your boat have a good mirror on it already?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2015 at 2:53am
Originally posted by Okie Boarder Okie Boarder wrote:

Sounds like a good start. If you need any more gear, let me know. We still have a few board/binding sets and rope.

Okie,

What have you got? I am looking for a board for my wife/small riders. Anything that would fit somebody in the 120 to 160 LBS range.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2015 at 11:04am
Don't forget to add a "Ring & Finger' saver attachment for your OEM pylon. The 86 should have the "Ring & Finger " set up on the pylon so PLEASE do not hack it up to be able to use the extended pylon on it. They are unique to the boat, aren't made anymore and are a tough item to find for those looking to replace theirs. Too many previous owners hack the finger and the ring off to slide an extended pylon over the OEM one. Either remove it or purchase the attachment from the site store... Should you choose to remove it, hang on to it to reinstall later down the road or sell it to the many guys looking for a replacement cause some yahoo (previous owner) hacked the original one!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2015 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

PLEASE do not hack it up to be able to use the extended pylon on it.

Pat,
I'll second Tim's suggestion. We've seen it too many times when the boat owner becomes frustrated and impatient with removing the ring and finger and goes at it with the hack saw! They can be removed but can be stubborn. There are even threads on removal techniques.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2015 at 11:59am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

PLEASE do not hack it up to be able to use the extended pylon on it.

Pat,
I'll second Tim's suggestion. We've seen it too many times when the boat owner becomes frustrated and impatient with removing the ring and finger and goes at it with the hack saw! They can be removed but can be stubborn. There are even threads on removal techniques.

+2
Go to tachyonmotorsports.com and order their Super Deluxe Boom Mount. It's rather pricy but worth every penny. You can keep the ring and finger intact for a standard pylon rope attachment and use the SDBM for mounting your extended pylon to. Several here have them and swear by them.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2015 at 1:56pm
I still have all three of these board and binding sets for sale. The smallest one or the middle one might be a good fit for the wife and smaller riders. I also have a good non-stretch rope and handle (Liquid Force if I remember correctly)

Boards Thread
86ER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2015 at 7:38pm
As far as Florida watersports go, I have a 28 ft sailboat that I haven't used in about 10 years because I got too busy. Now it's barnacled to the bottom of the Indian River, so it would take some work to make use of it. I'm going to try to sell it this year. As far as wakeboarding/skiing goes, I don't live near any decent sized lakes that would be conducive to wakeboarding/skiing. The Banana River used to be the place to wakeboard and ski, but it has since become a no wake zone except in the channel, so watersports are out. The Indian River would work on occasion, but it develops a pretty good chop on most days

I think I'm good on equipment for the moment. I suspect that I may be looking for more toward the middle or end of next season, based upon how we make out.

I hear you guys on the "ring and finger". If I have trouble getting it off, I'll go a different route on the extended pylon.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2016 at 3:28pm
At first I envisioned Chris using his bow strap through only the lifting ring but now think he uses just right but instead of removing it from the bow eye each time just leaves it "teathered" to the bow lifting ring until the next outing.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2016 at 6:32pm
Big people are a challenge for wakeboarding. Quinner talks about not letting the board get parallel to the transom. I also think rotating your hips as the boat moves to make the board angle towards the boat with the front foot forward. You'll exit the water with the front foot first going a little bit sideways but it's much easier. Creating that ramp with the board will get larger carcasses up and out sooner before hands invariably give out.

Quinner is a good teacher. He finally got it through my thick skull on deep water slalom
Starts (although the lesson took a night's sleep to finally sink in). I usually slalom start both feet in, eyes closed pushing on the front foot. You guys should be slaloming with that boat. All this boarding talk and jumps are for skinny kids.
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
1996 Nautique Super Sport
1988 Waterlogged Supra Mariah
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2016 at 6:56pm
Deep water starts are much easier on a wake board than single ski. It is all about surface area. Boards are a slippery until you get a bit of edge control and the falls seem to be always faceplants Keep the speed as low as possible around 18mph to minimise the numbness of facial tissue. Leave the fins (skegs) on the board until you have got good edge control

Eventually you will get to a stage where jumping is involved this is where you need to be careful with 50 year old knees. Keep the bindings somewhat loose so you exit the board when falling. The worse thing is having one foot still in the binding and the other out. It puts a lot of twisting stress on the knee.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2016 at 8:14pm
Mark, I agree 100% on getting up, I put 4 times the effort into getting up on my ski as I do on a wakeboard. I still suck at wakeboarding, hope to make some progress this coming year, but getting up is very easy for me.

Not that I can jump yet, but the little bit of air I've gotten off the wakes made me wonder if I'll be able to land a full wake jump with my creaky knees. We'll see. Since we've gone over our similar orthopedic problems, how do you find the landings? And yes, every fall is a faceplant! I find the 19 mph wakeboard falls are much more painful than my slalom falls.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2016 at 10:51pm
Dave I had my first ride on a wakeboard on new years day in over 18 months. I would only be at intermediate level at best. As I can go wake to wake with an odd 180. I was rusty and took a few hits.

In the last few years I decided that I would try to improve my sloppy slalom skiing. On the board I was sticking mainly to surface tricks and riding goofy. That is one thing we did wrong when learning. I think you should be proficient natural and goofy before you go forward to clearing both wakes make sure you can jump one wake both toe and heelside.

I tweaked my knees occasionally and did not want to risk another reconstruction so have backed away from boarding except for the odd social dual run with my daughters and friends.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2016 at 12:19am
I plan to take it slow and see how it goes. I had so much fun last summer, was healthier physically than I had been in years, don't want to end that run!
Sampson 182 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sampson 182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2016 at 10:16pm
Pat I too am a large guy . I am 6 ft 4in and 300lbs. When my wife went to buy my wakeboard from the dealer she said " what's the biggest board you sell. He told her and she said "ok then double that". LOL!!! I wakeboard and I'm 39 and very tall I use a fly high ski pylon on my 1987 SN 2001 and the normal ski rope. Learn how to get up normal before you start to learn "goofy" or" reverse from your normal ride style". I cant jump or flip but I do enjoy riding my board around the lake. One thing I can say is adjust your bindings on land, before you start. Just stand behind your board normal and take notice of the way your feet stand "NATURALLY" The fly high has many adjustment points to better suit your boat and make it easier to take the work away from your floor pylon. There is a pretty cool turnbuckle you have to snap before you start and it has many adjustments as well!! Have fun!!!!
1987 Ski Nautique 2001

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic