NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2001 Wakeboard Config Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
86ER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2001 Wakeboard Config Suggestions
    Posted: December-21-2015 at 11:02pm
I recently purchased a 1986 2001 that I'll use primarily for skiing, wakeboarding, and tubing. As far as I can tell, the boat is as factory delivered, with the exception of electronic ignition. Myself and my buddies are all in our low to mid 50's, 30 to 60 lbs. overweight (when being kind to ourselves), haven't skied in more than 30 years, have never wake-boarded, and are essentially couch potatoes (aka Fat Boys). Given these facts, we obviously aren't planning to catch any significant air, do flips, etc., etc., nor are we looking to "Rock Out" the lake with Mega-Watt tower speakers. Assuming that we don't kill ourselves in the process, and actually progress to the point at which we might want to start jumping the wake (three minutes into the ride), will we be limited in what we can do with the tow rope tied to the transom hook or stock ski pylon, or should I consider, at the very least, getting an extended pylon? Money is not an issue, but I don't think that we really need a wake tower for what we will be doing, or do we? I'm concerned about the stress that an extended pylon might put on the through-floor mount, because no matter how well you secure it, it is likely to work that area of the boat very hard. I'm not against installing a tower if it makes sense, but then I'd have to get my cover modified and remove and install the tower every season. Certainly not show stoppers, but things to be considered. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2015 at 1:21am
You will love the 86. Its a blast to drive and It has an inherently great wakeboard wake (size and shape) at boarding speeds without ballast. I don't board myself but I tow my son. I hear from all it is easier to get out of the water with the extended pylon. The pylon also lets you have passengers in the back seat (free ballast)The pylon has a strap and harness that goes from the nose of the boat to the top of the pylon. Properly adjusted it takes the load off the pylon mount.and works fantastic without putting a bunch of holes in your boat,
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2015 at 10:09am
Definitely get the X-pylon. It pulls you up out of the water, my arms can really tell the difference without it.

I wouldn't bother with ballast if you are a beginner

Recommend a Acme 540 prop if you still have the stock federal.

Get the biggest board you can find, as that will also be easier to get on top of the water..
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2015 at 10:44am
Pat,
First off, congrats on the boat and post some pics. Everyone here loves pics.

Secondly, you'll quickly find out that tubing doesn't bode very well here. There have been countless discussions on the lack of talent needed to partake but on the flip side, it has also been a stepping stone for countless young ones before strapping a ski on so be prepared for that discussion....again.

There have also been countless debates about tower vs. extended pylon. A quick search should provide hours of entertainment.

Purists believe a pylon is the only way to go to keep the lines and intended use for the boat intact without drilling holes and mounting that God awful cage on top of your classic ride. If you want a tower, buy a boat that came from the factory with one and don't f**k up a classic. I guess you can tell which side of the fence I'm on. FYI, an extended pylon will actually cause less strain on your pylon because it's being anchored from the top so that is not a concern. Several here have made a loose, unusable pylon work for a season or more with a properly adjusted extend pylon without a problem.

On the flip side, I also see the benefits of a tower and the space it can free up on the floor. Properly installed, it is much more stronger and can take side loading where an extended pylon cannot. So what does that mean???? I wouldn't want to try an "around the boat" with an extended pylon where a tower works fine. So if that trick is going to be in your repertoire you'll want a tower. Virtually anything else that I can think of an extended pylon will suffice.

Ultimately the choice is yours and one you have to live with. My suggestion would be to get out and enjoy the boat. Get a feel for the old girl. Play around and get some water time skiing and wakeboarding. The whole concept of a higher pull point was never thought of when your boat was built and contrary to popular opinion, you don't need a higher pull point to be able to enjoy any watersports.
If you feel you must have a higher pull point, then get an extended pylon to get used to it without doing any damage to the boat. After you get some experience and decide that a tower may work out better for you, sell the pylon and install a tower. Extended pylons resell pretty easily.

Where in FL are you? A lot of members here from FL.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2015 at 10:49am
[QUOTE=86ER] I'm concerned about the stress that an extended pylon might put on the through-floor mount, because no matter how well you secure it, it is likely to work that area of the boat very hard. QUOTE]

This is not really a significant concern with an 86 Ski Nautique. That boat was designed around securing that pylon. The floor of the cockpit plays no significant role in securing the pylon. There is a thick aluminum cradle spanning the stringers of the boat that directly ties the pylon to the engine mounts. You will very likely bend the pylon before you loosen the mount. Get the extended pylon, correctly install it, and there are no worries - it greatly improves the wakeboarding experience even for beginners and will help you on your deepwater barefoot starts as well.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2015 at 11:15am
I agree with the others on the extended pylon. It should work fine for what you're trying to do.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2015 at 12:21pm
Since you guy's have never wakeboarded and everybody above covered the pylon question I will offer my 2 cents on wakeboarding.
One thing I see often when teaching new boarders is the rider plowing too much and hurrying to stand up. Before you start, rotate the front of the board down by bending at the ankles and pointing toes towards the boat, so the board is at a 45 deg angle (or less) to the water surface, you do not want the board perpendicular to the surface when learning the start.
Don't be in a hurry to stand up, rise slowly, that lower center of gravity should help with your balance.
Forward foot can usually be determined by having the person relaxed standing straight up at attention per say, push them slightly in the center of the chest or center of back, whichever foot they catch themselves with "should" be their forward foot. Also if the person can imagine running and then sliding on ice, which foot would they lead with, same result, that would be their front foot.
For beginner big guys you will want to run in the 18-20mph range, easy throttle at the start and slowly come up to speed.
Good luck, betting you guy's are going to have a blast!!
86ER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2015 at 12:26pm
Folks,

Appreciate all of the information. I'll go with the pylon and see how that works out.

I live in Melbourne, FL, but I'll be using the boat on lake Upstate NY. Unfortunately, the boat is currently up there, so I won't be able to get pics until the spring.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2015 at 12:37pm
What lake in upstate NY?   (my old stomping grounds...and JoeinNY's current stomping grounds)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2015 at 1:15pm
proper tubing config
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2015 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

. you'll quickly find out that tubing doesn't bode very well here. There have been countless discussions on the lack of talent needed to partake
be prepared for that discussion....again.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tubing is the problem. Get the kids out on skis before they get hurt. A recent suvey of the USCG found that 90% of the accidents behind boats are caused by tubing!! All you are doing by tubing is screwing up the water for others who want to do something requiring talent and is a challenge.
!

Acidents from tubing

Kevin says it all:
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

proper tubing config

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
86ER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2015 at 4:41pm
I'll be using it on Lake Bonaparte, which is a small lake located in Harrisville, about 50 minutes from Watertown.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2015 at 4:53pm
very well written opening post btw
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2015 at 5:36pm
Well that certainly qualifies as upstate NY. (some people think anything north of the Tappan Zee Bridge is upstate).

I spent my summers about 60 miles south of that on a lake in Forestport. In 1971, I spent a summer in Watertown. Met a guy there that the following summer became my "let's teach ourselves to barefoot" buddy. Most memorable summer ever.

You didn't mention barefooting in your plans....never say never!!!

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2015 at 6:21pm
Good choice to go with the pylon. Honestly, just getting the rope up high so your gang can sit anywhere in the boat is the reason to go with it, of course the other advantages are there as has been mentioned. I'm a new boarder as well and the learning curve is steeper than I figured it would be, my ski experience isn't doing me much good!

Congrats on the boat, and a huge congrats on you and your buddies taking on a new sport. You're going to have a blast!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
td_in_nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td_in_nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2015 at 11:27pm
I used a pylon on my 1985 SN2001   Worked great as it got the rope high enough if you need to have people sit in the back seat.   Once you get confident enough to start jumping shorten the rope about 5 to 10' in front of the shortest loop (this will bring you a good wake for jumping). and slow down to about 15 mph water is much softer and less painful at this speed especially since we are not as you as we use to be. At least until you are comfortable. I agree with the other comment to get the right sized board. I weigh 200 lbs and learned on my kids 118 board - it was exhausting. When I got a new 142 board I was amazed how much easier it was.    If money is no object I would get a couple of lessons so you learn the right/easy way
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2015 at 11:50pm
Own a 1988 - 2001 . I use a pylon and works just fine . I add 1200 lbs of ballast and board at 22 mph . Started when I was 44 and am now 52 . You said that you aren't planning on catching any significant air . I have a feeling that after getting over the initial fear you will probably be getting more than you planned . I mean , why not ? Have FUN !! Just start out slow and progress accordingly .
86ER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2015 at 11:20pm
Guys,

Thanks again for all of the great information. Several weeks ago I purchased a Acme 540 prop based upon internet research, but it was good to see the same recommendation from member SNobsessed. I'm currently considering the stainless Sky High X Pole pylon extension. Does anyone have any comments (good or bad) regarding this pylon extension, or any others? I prefer to get one that slides over the existing factory pylon. Also, I noticed that in almost all of the wakeboard training videos that I've viewed, the front skeg has been removed from the wakeboard. Is this the preferred configuration, or just the recommended configuration for beginners? Additionally, what length tow rope would you recommended for the 2001 for beginners? I've currently got a generic ski tow rope, but I have no idea how long it is.. I'm sure that at least some of these questioned have been answered in the past, so I apologize if I'm repeating them.
td_in_nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td_in_nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2015 at 10:13am
I would recommend leaving the skegs/fins on and learn to ride regular and goofy from the start. We learned at full length which is good at first because it give you plenty if room to manuever before you cross the wake. I recommend not going faster than 16-18 when you are just learning to get up as falls are much softer at that speed. We Adjust the rope length to get the best part of the wake for the speed the rider is comfortable at.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2015 at 10:59am
I have Stainless steel Fly Hi, works just fine. I have the bow strap tied to the lift ring so that I can leave the strap on when trailering. Saves a few minutes threading the strap thru the bow eye each time.

Ben Franklin
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2015 at 11:05am
Oh boy, here we go.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2015 at 11:08am
Thanks for the chuckle Larry, I was just about to post "uh oh"!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2015 at 11:12am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I have the bow strap tied to the lift ring so that I can leave the strap on when trailering. Saves a few minutes threading the strap thru the bow eye each time.

Private Conrad.. what is your major malfunction!!!

LOL, so the OP knows, tying to the lift ring is not really recommended
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2015 at 11:18am
Doh!    

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2015 at 11:29am
Chris,
I'm in shock!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2015 at 11:59am
Absolutely do not use a polypropylene "ski" rope from a high pull. It can come recoiling back into the boat with a vengeance. Get yourself a non-stretch spectra/dyneema rope.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2015 at 3:44pm
Geez guys, The nylon strap that goes around the bow, not the cable that goes to the pylon.

If I had said 'cable', then you would have had legitimate ammunition.

Ben Franklin
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2015 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Oh boy, here we go.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2015 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Geez guys, The nylon strap that goes around the bow, not the cable that goes to the pylon.

If I had said 'cable', then you would have had legitimate ammunition.

Chris, it's been proven time and again that even a 1/4" bungee with 4 lbs. of pressure from the side on the lifting ring can cause a Nautique to destruct into tiny pieces.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2015 at 6:17pm
Trust us. It's not pretty.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic