NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Buckethead 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 6:09pm
absolutely no stopping. keep the boat speed to a maximum and the turns as gradual as possible. watch the top gun team! i feel we have a very good handle on the driving. living in 6 different states it's up to us individually to work on our own skiing, then bring it all together for the race. we are planning on a full team practice session at joe's in the spring

the sharp turn, slow, fast is what yanked the handle out of the guys hands who was up to ski next. he could avoided that himself, but so could the driving.

cheers steve!

as you can see, we are very anxious to apply what we've learned and see how it betters our time. some of the team members are being very optimistic on our chances this year. i personally underrated us last year
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

. Pirate Steve gets a pass.

Sorry TRBenj I didn't read the whole post until after I posted that.
Thanks for the pass,
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 8:39pm
Ha, all good!

Anyone interested in the race should read the rules posted on the official website. It covers power turns at the start, etc.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2016 at 12:06am
i'll keep an eye on this thread! really interested on participating on this kind of event...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2016 at 10:25am
And the dude that received the back slam still sits on top of the gunnel while in motion

All who wonder are not lost HW.

Hw and Tim under rated us for sure haha. We were all pretty pumped up with our finish. I knew we would finish at least mid pack.

I think Timmy didn't want to finish poorly with a boat that fast.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2016 at 10:37am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Fun seeing you guys blow by the Corvette boat after the start.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2016 at 10:48am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Fun seeing you guys blow by the Corvette boat after the start.

Dave was out for blood haha. Guess who we're shooting for next year.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2016 at 10:53am
It's looking like Sebago is not going to freeze this year. Dave will probably be training before the end of March. Heck, he rarely will even drink a beer with me. I hope one of you guys are bringing a barefoot boat to WL as I want to be able to use ours.

There's a lot of enthusiasm about this years race. Is it going to turn into a reunion?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2016 at 11:04am
I bet their eyes opened up when that old , faded paint, half finished engine cover 79 blew by them. Probably didn't expect that. Sadly I believe tim added some mufflers to it, didn't he, so it didn't have quite the sound impact. I don't think I've heard it since that happened.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2016 at 11:59am
Still sounds good Larry but its pretty quiet inside the boat now. Hopefully this year we will be able to ski closer to the top speed we would like to.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2016 at 12:06pm
"I've done the math. Faster is better."
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2016 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

not what she said

but longer....ie fewer transitions
1994 Sport Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2016 at 12:21pm
Kind of like NASCAR. When being interviewed about whats important, the drivers always talk about "track position" Isnt that just another way of saying "being first"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2016 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Toertel Toertel wrote:

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

not what she said

but longer....ie fewer transitions

Not sure who you're quoting but HW Is right. The experts have concluded that faster is better, not length of the runs. They have done the math.
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2016 at 1:20pm
I thought I read somewhere that long runs were a ticket (might have been on the old post) but could be wrong
Faster seems logic, as does cutting down on numbers of transitions
Guess the deep rudders will have to do both, fast & long runs
1994 Sport Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2016 at 1:34pm
fast & long or long & fast?

There is real math involved with transition amount vs ski speed vs length of run.

Sebastian, Joe, Paul and the girls were parked at the perfect spot to witness some of this in practice.

Hot Shots was in first blazing a head. The got the turn around first and started come back with Top Gun close behind, who turned around second and remained on their heels. However, Hot Shot, being the first boat, ran into some rough water from Wolfpack transitioning still going up river. Hot Shot skier fell, but Top Gun skier managed to ski through all the mess and take the lead. I'm not sure if they stayed ahead, or if upon their skier going down Hot Shot regained the lead, but you can easily see how the next Top Gun skier would then regain the lead after Hot Shot went down again. We kind of did the same thing with pfelgner's team, went back and forth a few times until we continued to ski past 2 of their transitions and was able to keep in front.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2016 at 1:53pm
scenario          Time on feet      speed      number runs           Elapsed time
1                   3                       50                  15                    57.43
2                       6                       40                       10                       64.66
3                       4.5                       45                       12                       60
4                       2                       50                       22                       63.26
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2016 at 1:55pm
Hammer down.

Hw/Tim, didnt we count 12 different runs? We most closely resemble scenario two as an average speed but maybe slightly off on the time on feet.

So losing time on feet but adding 45 mph average would put us at the hour mark which is really damn fast considering the fastest was 54 min ish.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2016 at 1:56pm
I made a spread sheet , what you cant really take into account is how much the boat speed will cost you in length of runs... if anyone wants to shoot out scenarios let me know and Ill run them through. I went with 1 min transitions and 20 seconds from the starting gun based on some of the videos...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2016 at 2:02pm
Tim deleted a bunch of his post but last month Scott and I managed to get down to a 35 second feet to feet transition with no boom or assistance into the boat. It's in the video. 6:25-7:00. I'll say as a driver you don't need to wait until the ass is on the floor to go. As the picked up skier your job is to gain control of the boat, once that is established it's time to go and make your way over the transom and in the boat. This could be the difference between making it past another boat before they throw rollers or not.
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2016 at 2:08pm
If I remember right, the Hot Shots never recovered from the spill...

Joey did you try to match their run with your spread sheet?
I think all skied 4 times, 2 missed stars and the 5 min rest/no wake zone

And yes we saw a ton of transitions up there and lost blew more than one transition while we watched. At 40mph that translates to ~0.67 miles per minute and is quite a bit.

Anyway, ya'll did great, especially since you did not have tons of time to train together.
So how about a footing clinic at every mini and a one week intensive training in Belgium with Kristof (just randomly picked the place, not cause it's somewhat close to me)
1994 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2016 at 2:09pm
Having the previous skier safely on board before taking off again is critical. We'll need to discuss how we define and communicate that. Certainly some time to be gained here for sure if we can get it efficient and safe.

Zach, we transitioned 24 times, not 12 (4 runs each). Our moving average was just under 30mph with the fuel stop included (almost exactly 30mph with it subtracted).
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2016 at 2:11pm
Our transition amount will go down too skiing fast, and ahead on the start. Scott and Brad had awful water on their first runs and Tim's average water wasn't much better. Dave, Zach and I had relatively clean water, which allowed us to put some miles down.

Keys to success:
Speed up
Longer runs (=transition amount down)
Extended butt rides (=longer run^ compared to a botched start although Zach has this dialed in already)

Result = Time down!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2016 at 2:14pm
Ahhh Samsonite, I was way off.

Yeah, Our transitions can gain us a little bit but they were surprisingly dialed and quick considering we practiced for 30 minutes?

Hammer down
Train faster

Butt ride king. There was no way I was planting in a roller and botching a start after HW yelling at me in practice
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2016 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Having the previous skier safely on board before taking off again is critical. We'll need to discuss how we define and communicate that. Certainly some time to be gained here for sure if we can get it efficient and safe.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2016 at 2:55pm
There is just so much that is right about that picture.

I have thought about putting a spreadsheet together like Joe's, but I suspect it will tell me what i already know. Have you ever been passed on the highway by someone going significantly faster, only to catch up with them at the toll booth, pass them due to ez-pass (while they pay cash) only to have them pass you again several miles down the road? They need to be traveling significantly faster than you to make up for their slow tollbooth experience. Over a stretch of road that has a bunch of toll booths, I know I can get through it more quickly, even if I'm not traveling as fast between them.

Speed is great but I suspect the biggest improvements to be made are in transitions. Both the speed of each and minimizing how many you have. The latter requires longer runs. Despite what the "expert" told us, speed is the lowest priority... He was either sandbagging as a competitor or can't do math.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2016 at 3:39pm
OK, I like spreadsheets so I gave it a shot. Not sure what it tells you. Have to input different combinations I guess to use it, tho I put in a bunch of defaults. You enter variables in the green columns, all the others are calculated. No guarantees that I got it right, I didn't spend a lot of time checking. If anyone wants it to play with, let me know and I will email it to you.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2016 at 3:45pm
The average transition time certainly makes a difference - but boy so does speed. If you go with 1 minute on average for the transition a team making 10 minute runs at 42 mph does beat a time making 2 minute runs at 50 by 3 mins.   For that changeover and those speeds the 42 mph team has to average 5.5 mins on your feet per run (some faster some slower) and to just squeak by the 50 mph team if they average 2 mins on their feet.

A 42 mph team with 35 second transitions and 15 minute average runs, no falls finishes in 56.1 minutes

A 50 mph team with 1 minute transitions and 4 minute average runs will finish in 54.9 mins, and has time for a fall in there to still beat the guys cruising at 42. If they can keep their transitions to 35 seconds they could be done in 50 mins and finish their first beer by the time they see the 42mph team. OR if they keep the transitions to 35 seconds they can finish in 54 mins by averaging 2 minutes on their feet. --- which to me seems like speed always wins
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2016 at 3:56pm
We had Tim's boat pinned the whole time. Looks like we need more motor.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2016 at 6:25pm
Ha. You may get your wish for more motor whether my wallet likes it or not!

I may need to take a closer look at that spreadsheet... I've been thinking of run length in terms of distance instead of time, which may be erroneous. All the more reason to start training early it sounds like.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic