Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SKI PYLON RING REMOVAL

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
duckhawk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SKI PYLON RING REMOVAL
    Posted: June-10-2006 at 4:56pm
Hello all, I want to add a pylon extension to my 75 Ski Tique, but I have to remove the ring on the top of the existing pylon to slide the new one over the top.
   The guy at the shop said to put penetrating oil at the joints for a couple of days and to remove the spring pins with a drift.
The problem is I don't see any spring pins. In fact I dont even see where the chrome plated alloy ring "core" is inside the 2 spring pin holes.
   Could I strap the ring with a come-along and try to pull it out from above?

Any experienced ideas??

Jeff Fisher
J Fisher
86SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2006 at 8:25pm
Unless yours is different,(and it may be) I would do just what you said do with the penetrating oil. Spray it let it set a few days and maybe even spray it again. 83SN2001 helped me remove mine and we broke part of the stem off down in the pylon and damaged the ring also. But we did get it out!! Someone else did the same thing on his boat prior to his purchase.
duckhawk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2006 at 8:49pm
I was thinking if I could put an oak dowel inside the ring, close to the inner diameter of the ring and strap it on both sides I wouldn't warp out the ring during removal.
Also, after letting it soak a couple of days in the penetrating oil I could spray the top with chewing gum remover to cool it down and then heat the pylon with a propane torch.
Would the aluminum expand more that the alloy core?
Now that I have spayed it, I have a couple of days to think up wacky ideas.
Maybe I should remove the pylon from its base in the floor and take it to a machine shop.
Jeff
J Fisher
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2006 at 1:11am
I have a pylon with the ring removed already
Morto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2006 at 11:19am
We pulled and pulled on our pole but it wouldn't budge from the floor, tried jacking it and everything but the fiberglass was gonna give way first so we left the sod in. It could prove pretty frustrating.
great78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote great78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2006 at 12:08pm
it would be nice to know how to remove it. I ran into same problem with mine. Removing the roll pins didn't seem to get me anywhere. Good luck on this one.
duckhawk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2006 at 1:14pm
I spoke with a mechanical ENGR. He said it might be a pressed fitting in which they make the shaft a few thousandths bigger than the sleeve, heat up the sleeve, and press it in with a 5-10 ton press.

I guess the way to test this would be to saturate it with penetrating oil for a few days, heat and cool it several times, wrap it in leather and put a pipe wrench on it to see if at least it would loosen. The trick would be to use 2 pipe wrenches so you don't twist it out of the floor.
Jeff/duckhawk
J Fisher
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2006 at 5:41pm
Chris (79Nautique) - are you offering your ring-less pylon for sale? I'm interested if you are. I'm down in Noblesville, IN - give me a call if you're looking to sell it. 317-776-2336.

Thanks!
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2006 at 10:33pm
i have no need for an extended pylon but with all the trouble i've heard over the past several years if i did want one i think i would fabricate a base for the extended pylon that mounts like the factory pylon.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2006 at 8:37am
Duckhawk,

Sounds like there is a potential to do damage in trying to get a stubborn ring off. Instead of risking that, you might consider a Flight Pipe, that clamps on to the front of your existing pylon. No risk of damage and you get to keep your original equipment.

Just an option.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2006 at 10:10am
Originally posted by 77stang 77stang wrote:

i have no need for an extended pylon but with all the trouble i've heard over the past several years if i did want one i think i would fabricate a base for the extended pylon that mounts like the factory pylon.

Best idea yet, IMHO.

I suggest the pylon be removed from the boat BEFORE trying to remove the ring in order to avoid any damage ot the floor.
nautique1980 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2006 at 10:28am
I drove the roll pins out of mine.then saturated it in penetrating oil, then I put a big bar in the eye and worked it back and forth little buy little untill it cam out. it toke a couple of days but it came out with no problems.
duckhawk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2006 at 10:58pm
Lots of good advice. I am going to soak it for a couple of days.
Just for information purposes, I bought an air boom for a good price that is made to slip over the pylon. It may not turn out to be a good price if I can't fit it to my boat, but anyway, the air boom would be so simple to use since I store the boat in my garage.

75 tique's flight pipe idea might be the simplest way to go. I am also waiting on my brackets and stern plates form alloy marine.
Jeff

J Fisher
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 8:33am
Jeff,

Just ran across an ad for them last night. A clarification. It's Flitepipe. I tried their website, but it doesnt appear to exist any more. (It was an old ad). I hope I didn't steer you wrong. After not finding their website, I googled flitepipe and found references to them and some ads for used, but it appears they may not make them any more. Skidim has brackets to attach a pylon. Check with them.
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 9:24am
There is a company on Ebay that has hardware to connect to the pylon & keep the ring on. It attaches to the bottom of the pylon & you can use a boom or extended pylon.
Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/WAKEBOARD-SKYLON-PYLON-BAREFOOT-BOOM-NAUTIQUE-SUPRA_W0QQitemZ7247860291QQcategoryZ15272QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I guess I didn't look close enough. This allows you to add a boom with the extended pylon.
Greg

86 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic