NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ring & Finger Removal on '86 2001

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
86ER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ring & Finger Removal on '86 2001
    Posted: April-21-2016 at 8:05am
I've got a 2001 model and will be using a pylon extension. I'd prefer to slide the extension over the factory pylon, which obviously requires the removal of the ring and finger. Naturally, I don't want to hack up the ring and finger trying to get it off, so if it becomes too difficult to remove, I'll go the alternate route.

I've searched this site for removal procedures, but came up empty. I haven't looked too closely, but it appears as though the ring and finger is attached via pins or set screws. Is this correct? If attached via pins, are they solid pins of roll pins? Appreciate any info that you can provide.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2016 at 8:26am
Have you considered the super delux boom mount in the "store" on this site? It will solve your issue and save some bloodied knuckles.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2016 at 8:45am
Mine (87 BFN) has two hollow roll pins holding it on, offset by 90 degrees and maybe an inch apart vertically.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2016 at 10:31am
If you can find a used Flite Pipe extended pylon the ring & finger can stay.
Heard where some guys have great luck with it sliding right out and others have lifted the boat from the ring after the pins are removed. Definitely want to start soaking it in some strong penetrating fluid like homebrew 50/50 acetone/atf mix or I think it's Kroll & liquid wrench that rate the next best.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2016 at 10:43am
We removed one from a 1970 pylon and it was stuck. Drilled the roll pins out and tried a number of methods to remove it. No luck. Machine shop got it out for $70.
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2016 at 11:42am
Some idiot cut mine off flush, so I been drilled and tapped it for a 1/2" threaded bolt and put fender fashers on the top of the pylon with the center hole of the washer slightly bigger than the diameter of the piece left in the pylon. I go down and throw another twist on the bolt I ran into it every once and a while and its been soaking with all kinds of different penetrating oils and under tension now for about a month and it hasn't moved a bit. Have a feeling its going to have to be drilled out at a machine shop eventually.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2016 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by NCH20SKIER NCH20SKIER wrote:

Have you considered the super delux boom mount in the "store" on this site? It will solve your issue and save some bloodied knuckles.

What Greg said, I have a different pylon in the works but I will probably just end up running one of those.
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2016 at 2:15pm
86er,
The reason we have the Deluxe Boom Mount in the store is because it solves this exact issue. No need to remove or damage the ring while adding a boom extension.

If you don't go this route, I do have some experience to share ...

I've had to deal with this issue on two separate occasions. Once, I had an 86 with the ring cut and I needed to remove the remaining brass from the pylon. Another time I tried to remove a ring from the replacement pylon (no luck).

I can tell you they all have 'roll pins' that need to be tapped out. With the ring, what you have is an aluminum pylon with a 1" bore down the center and a chrome platted brass ring with 1"x4" shaft that goes into the aluminum pylon.

As someone has said, sometimes then just separate after removing the roll pins. This is very rare however. 20+ years of aluminum and brass locked together makes for a decent weld.

For starters spray with lubricating oil and let it sit a day or two.

If you have the means to do this, you can thread a 2" strap through the ring to something overhead and slowly 'pull' the ring with medium tension (too much and you will warp the ring). Long periods of medium tension is what you're going for. I've heard this can take up to a week to accomplish but I've heard it works.

Others have inserted a board or pipe into the ring to try to gain leverage at twisting it loose. Be very careful with this technique as you can easily damage the brass ring.

If the ring was cut off by a PO, you're only option is to get a 1" drill bit and slowly drill out the brass. I've done this and it's an easy way to break a wrist as the bit over bites the brass and wrenches your wrist. Go slow with light pressure.

Last option is to find a replacement pylon with the ring already cut off or damaged. Then you can just swap out the entire pylon (this too has it's problems however as the old pylon sometimes does not want to come out of the boat).

Good luck!

Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2016 at 3:23pm
Maybe consider trade pylons with someone who's already had their pylon butchered and would like it complete.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2016 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Keith Keith wrote:

If the ring was cut off by a PO, you're only option is to get a 1" drill bit and slowly drill out the brass. I've done this and it's an easy way to break a wrist as the bit over bites the brass and wrenches your wrist. Go slow with light pressure.

Keith,
Your problem with drilling brass is because you didn't sharpen the bit correctly! All it takes it to "dull" the cutting edge by grinding a flat on the cutting edge parallel to the bits length. This removes the positive rake on the cutting edge. Sorry the picture isn't very big but you can see the flat in the "K" view.

Also, here's a you tube on it.
Sharpening drill bits for brass and plastic

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
86ER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2016 at 5:20pm
Appreciate the info guys. I was planning to go with the Super Deluxe Boom Mount if I can't get the ring and finger out without too much difficulty. I'll soak it with some PB Blaster for a few days and add a little heat (pylon only, not ring and finger) if necessary, but if that doesn't do it, the roll pins will go back in and I'll go with the Super Deluxe Boom Mount. Just thought it would be a much cleaner install without the Boom Mount..
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2016 at 5:24pm
I would pull the pylon, drive the roll pins out, turn it up side down and soak the top foot in a 50:50 ATF:Acetone.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2016 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

...and soak the top foot in a 50:50 ATF:Acetone.

Only if you're out of PB blaster of course.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2016 at 5:57pm
You might as well soak it in air.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2016 at 6:28pm
I wonder if vinegar would help dissolve the white rust inside ?
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2016 at 11:58am
You might as well soak it in air.

Bout right. That stuff is worthless.
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2016 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I would pull the pylon, drive the roll pins out, turn it up side down and soak the top foot in a 50:50 ATF:Acetone.

I did that for 3 weeks, didn't help one bit, the thing is still stuck in there, So idiot had cut mine off flush with the top of the pylon and I had previously drilled and tapped the remaining shaft for a 9/16" thread bolt and was using spacers to try and extract it, but after letting it soak in acetoner and ATF for 3 weeks I kept cranking on the bolt hoping it would pop loose and the threads I tapped into it stripped. Now I'm going to have to drill or bore it out the rest of the way.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2016 at 12:29pm
Keep in mind I have a complete unit for sale if needed. I have not attempted to remove the R/F
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2016 at 2:54pm
Gently heating the pylon around where the roll pins are then dipping will draw in the penetrant up where you need it "inside" the pylon.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic