NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop key way is sheered

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 10:16pm
Adam,
How about some pictures of the prop? I'm trying to understand how you broke the Acme puller trying to get it off but then were able to remove it with wood sticks?? Have you checked the shaft again as recommended?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BaccoBouncer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 11:23pm
One of the sticks must have been a hardwood.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 11:25pm
Well the good news is that the shaft has only 50 thou of runout. The bad new is well actually the good new is all I can handle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 11:28pm
That's the sheered key to the right. it actually was a perfect cut. i kept the deep of the cut right along the keyway and had no danger of touching the shaft. The grotesqueness is because it was really awkward down there and I wanted to remove large material so I could be a bit more finesse when closer to the keyway. So anybody have any tips/guides on removing shafts? I imagine that a 50 thou runout is pretty fixable at an experienced shop.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 11:31pm
By "Sticks" I meant 4 1/2" cutting wheel.   That stuff may look like brass but you were right, it felt as hard to grind/cut as any metal out there.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by BaccoBouncer BaccoBouncer wrote:

By "Sticks" I meant 4 1/2" cutting wheel.
HeHe
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 11:47pm
What is the big plus with the A.R.E. shafts?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 12:39am
Easier to R&R, If you need a new shaft anyway it would be worth it. Just to replace it to replace it would be questionable but not having to heat the coupling to install it sure would help   link-
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 5:57am
Your a pretty funny guy, Glad you got it off.
A grinder can get it done quick.   .50 thou shaft movement is no good.
The ARE set up does work very easy.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 7:12am
Adam,
Thanks for the picture. Yup, that prop will be a challenge for the prop shop to repair! I too suggest the ARE shaft. Get a new blade and continue with sawing out the .050" out bad shaft.

BTW, do lap in your new prop to the new shaft. I also recommend lapping the taper at the forward end (trans coupling) of the ARE shaft.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 10:09am
8122, Yes I heeded your advise early and got lapping compound and some prussian blue.
So I'm ready for some councel on the shaft swap.
Why would I saw out the od shaft? The bend is after the cutlass bearing.
What else should I purchase in advance? seals for rudder and drive shaft for install?
Cutlass bearing?
Any special tools?

I obviously have to make some ground clearance to get the shaft out. Is that one of the ARE? If I cut the old one out the ARE does not need as much clearance to go in?
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 11:05am

The best and probably only positive thing about absolutely destroying props or finding them on the bottom of a river is the repurpose of them after you replace them.

I still would have sacrificed the shaft way before doing that the the prop. from the looks of the damage to the prop before the wizard wheel got to it; it looked fixable. shafts don't usually ever straighten out perfectly.

1988 Barefoot nautique-454

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 11:21am
I saved the prop and made a cool lamp just like DayTony suggested.
It's now a classy piece of home decor.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 11:26am
Holy cow!!!!! DayTony, You're in Salem MA! I lived on Essex st in Salem until I moved 20 minutes down the road to Essex (town of) to be on Chebacco lake a few months ago.

Totally unrelated: Do you want to buy a lamp? Real cheap and free delivery.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 12:19pm
lol it would def go with the decor of my basement bar. good job on the lamp i like it.
check PMs
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 2:47pm
The engine side of your shaft bolts to the coupler on your tranny.
The shaft coupler is a very tight fit with a couple set screws holding it tight but just like your prop the coupler will need to be pressed off of the shaft. It can be done but presents another battle when you re install the shaft into it.,
Much easier is the ARE System, take a read on this website on how to remove and install the front coupler. You will start liking the ARE shaft better.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 2:49pm
Adam,
Sawing the old shaft just aft of the trans coupling will save you the time needed to remove the coupling half from the shaft. It's a heat shrink fit and they can be difficult to remove. This of course is if the coupling and shaft hasn't fretted wearing out the heat shrink fit. Fretting is caused by bad alignment between the engine and prop shaft.

As long as you have the shaft out, it's not a bad idea to install a new cutlass. Shaft and rudder packing is also a good idea.

No special tools will be needed.

Removing your old shaft and installing the new will be the same for clearance aft of the boat. Just lower your jack stand if needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 3:28pm
Ok Team! here's a visual to help with this next part. I will use the ARE system. So what do I want to do with these parts. I put letters on them since I don't know the names of the parts.

Questions:
Do I want to cut up here or under the boat between the hull and cutlass bearing?
What am I taking apart and what am I leaving in?
Do I need a puller to separate the press fit if I am using the ARE system?
If a man and a woman love each other very much and want to express it with more than hugging and kissing is there a way?

'97 21' Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 3:29pm
Whoops. That last question was for a different forum.
'97 21' Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Adam,
Sawing the old shaft just aft of the trans coupling .

A and the old prop shaft are scrap.
C and B will be used again.
B is the safety collar and prevents the shaft from sliding aft in case the shaft breaks aft of the coupling A.
C is the packing nut Inside is where the shaft packing goes to prevent water entering the boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 10:31pm
I'm not sure what the trans coupling is. Im guessing it's "A" Remove these four bolts and don't bother with the two safety wired clamp bolts?
'97 21' Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 10:36pm
I've also started the journey to get to the rudder. It seems like removing this floor board should do it but I can't figure out how it's supposed to come out. in this picture I have it all the way up and back and it still doesn't clear the front clips.    I removed the carpeted back wall. It's against the gas tank in back.. Am I missing something?
'97 21' Sport Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 11:22pm
Remove the 4 bolts in 'A'.

The cut shaft will slide out the brass fitting with safety wire. You will want to 're-pack' the brass fitting (called gland) before you reinstall the new shaft (it is easy).

The rear floor panel just pulls up & forward. Just give it some brute force.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 11:41pm
Ok will do.
Thanks
'97 21' Sport Nautique
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2016 at 12:52am
So, how did you attach the lamp to the lamp base ?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2016 at 6:57am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

You will want to 're-pack' the brass fitting (called gland) before you reinstall the new shaft (it is easy). .

Adam,
Slight change in the procedure: You want to repack the gland after the new shaft is installed You need the shaft in place to wrap the packing segments around and then push them into the gland.

Here's a link to the GFO site that has a video on the stuffing procedure. Many including myself have found the GFO "almost dripless" packing to be the product to use.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2016 at 9:38am
Thanks Pete for the correction. It's been almost 10 yrs since I did this, thanks to the gore-tex packing!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2016 at 9:47am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Thanks Pete for the correction. It's been almost 10 yrs since I did this, thanks to the gore-tex packing!

Chris,
No problem! There are many times when I need help too especially when my ADD kicks in! A good example is Larry having to correct me this morning. Hopefully the Alzheimer's holds off for a few more years.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2016 at 11:08am
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

So, how did you attach the lamp to the lamp base ?

You must be asking DayTony. Mine is a clamp light and it's sitting on a wood box that was kicking around.
'97 21' Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 4:38pm
Update:
Ready to order the ARE system but wanted to confirm shaft length first. Can't drop rudder because of protective plate on trailer. I don't have a way to slide the boat back on the trailer. Is there a safe way to lift the boat to get enough clearance? Can you jack under the back of the hull dead center safely?
Thanks,
Adam
'97 21' Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
  Share Topic