NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop key way is sheered

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 7>
Author
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 4:41pm
that protective plate should unbolt pretty easily. if i remember i only unbolted one side of mine and it gave me enough clearance but you might have to unbolt both sides. they are like 5/8 bolts.
lower the tongue and should slip out easily.
as for shaft length i don't know but a good number to write down is if you take a tape and go through the hole to the mounting flange surface on the gear(transmission) and to the aft end of the strut. you want it to be a hair longer than that, maybe 1/2" between prop fitment and strut.
Some of the guys who have done this i'm sure will pipe in about best shaft size for your application. since its not a cut to length deal.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 4:47pm
nows a good time to asses condition of your cutlass and replace if needed.
Not sure if your a brand new boat owner but you'll quickly find out. Once you own a boat everything else starts seeming more and more rea$onable.
BaccoBouncer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 5:15pm
The protective plate is a welded part of the trailer. How wise/unwise is it to lift at this point on the hull with a hydraulic jack and a piece of wood as a pad? Will I crack the gel coat?
'97 21' Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 5:18pm
All good, lift away!
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 6:19pm
oh my bad, my trailer that frame is removable, i suspect just for that reason.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 11:45pm
I wanted to share this moment of victory with you guys. Prop in one hand, drive shaft in the other.
'97 21' Sport Nautique
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2016 at 2:14am
Congrats.
Spray down your motor mount adjusters with penetrating oil, try not to overspray everywhere. and order up a fresh shaft and wheel. If you need a hand with setup some afternoon I'm sure I can donate a little time.

So, Did you sheer the pin on chebacco or was it somewhere else? there are some real shallow areas in that lake you have to be careful of. I have hit bottom in that lake more times than i like to admit in the BFN but i draw at least a foot more than you do in the sport.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2016 at 1:00am
Tony, The A.R.E. shaft is on it's way. Thanks for the offer to help. I purchased the boat with the bent prop. It came from Lee Mass and was used on some of the small lakes out there.
'97 21' Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2016 at 11:55am
So I have my ARE shaft and will be installing it soon. What's my best resource for motor alignment procedure and any other steps to ensure a good install of the shaft? Even thoguh I may have some local help I would like to read up on it as much as possible in advance.
Thanks Again, Adam
'97 21' Sport Nautique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2016 at 3:59pm
Mine was a little more involved as my strut got bent and needed to be fixed plus I replaced strut cutlass bushings at the same time. I included the link to my prop shaft replacement. There should be tips in this that will help. There is a very good video on aligning the prop shaft that should be watched also.
The very good advisors here helped get mine in correctly.
Not that hard to do right but critical to avoid vibrations in your boat and short life on the parts you are putting in.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32813&title=prop-strut-installation
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2016 at 4:01pm
Prop Shaft video good Basics for set up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_w0LvD6gEc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2016 at 7:02pm
Anyone know where I can find the A.R.E. install manual online? I didn't see a link through DIM or in a google search. Too much comes up for ARE
'97 21' Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2016 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by BaccoBouncer BaccoBouncer wrote:

Anyone know where I can find the A.R.E. install manual online? I didn't see a link through DIM or in a google search. Too much comes up for ARE

Adam,
There should have been some basic instructions with the shaft system. Not much in them since the install is like other shaft installs with the exception on tightening down the forward coupling on the taper.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2016 at 10:49pm
Hi Adam

Go to .elberts.com They're the ones who made your shaft.

Cllick on the "product instructions" section on their homepage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2016 at 11:08am
Perfect thanks! It has the torque for the nut which was the main thing I was looking for.
'97 21' Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2016 at 9:21pm
Ok Status Update and question.
The A.R.E. shaft/coupling are in. I'm running about .007" of misalignment so I have to do some adjustments. But first this question. As I brought the shaft coupling up to the gear box coupling they didn't line up. I had to pull the shaft a bit to one side to get the two to come together. is this normal? ok?
ok alignment. As you can see I put a picture below. So I can clearly see how to adjust up down I imagine it is break nut "B" so "C" can move freely then turn "A" to raise it up and down then lock in place with "B". But how does starboard/port? It looks lik emaybe you loosen the nut "D" and maybe the shaft coming off of "C" will then slide in and out of block "E".   ????
'97 21' Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2016 at 9:27pm
From MrmCD's post I see that I may have an issue if the shaft isn't center with the log. ( Is the log the hole in the bottom of the hull for the shaft to enter. it was clearly to one side. So this with the fact that the couplings did not line up probably means I need to align the strut. looks like from his post I should be able to shim with SS washers but keep it under 0.100".
'97 21' Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2016 at 9:59pm

From MrmCD's post I see that I may have an issue if the shaft isn't center with the log. ( Is the log the hole in the bottom of the hull for the shaft to enter. it was clearly to one side. So this with the fact that the couplings did not line up probably means I need to align the strut. looks like from his post I should be able to shim with SS washers but keep it under 0.100".

Adam,
I suggest you watch shaft alignment 101 again keeping in mind alignment starts at the strut. The shaft should go through the log (yes, the hole in the bottom) centered when the shaft turns freely (is "happy") in the cutlass bearing in the strut. Don't loosen the strut until you determine it's not aligned. It also may be bent from the prop strike.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2016 at 10:37pm
How do I determine the strut is bent from the prop strike? What do I do it if it is?
'97 21' Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2016 at 10:46pm

How do I determine the strut is bent from the prop strike? What do I do it if it is?

Adam,
A bent or twister strut will show up if the shaft doesn't center in the log and binds in the cutlass bearing..

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2016 at 10:48pm
oh ok. I thought you were saying I have to do something else if it is bent vs just misaligned. If I'm not centered on the log then start aligning the strut. Is it true what he said in the video that the cutlass bearing should have zero play?
'97 21' Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2016 at 10:53pm
Adam,
A new cutlass should have close to zero play depending on both the shaft OD and the cutlass ID tolerances.

Are you watching the alignment 101 video I linked? I only ask since you may be confused on who did the video.,

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2016 at 11:14pm
Mine was bent by the owner I bought the boat from. The prop had been repaired but the boat had a strong vibration. This is two years ago and memory is not perfect but I will try and share. That was my first issue with a bent strut and this forum helped get it perfect again.
They had run mine enough while vibrating to ruin the coupler at the tranny.
I took my rudder out, this gave me extra room and I wanted to make sure the packing was good.
I made a small tower out of a 2x4 about 6" tall and cut a v shape in the top. I used this to keep the prop shaft from sagging from its own weight and supported the front of the shaft a few inches back from the tranny with this block while I played with the strut alignment.   
The shaft will sag a little when sitting loose in your strut and log.   Find the spot where your prop shaft spins with zero drag or the very least amount of drag while in the strut.
This is the happy spot. Hopefully your shaft while in this happy spot is very close to perfect alignment with your tranny. Again I only used the 2x4 to keep the front of the shaft on the engine side from sagging. If you slide it too far to the log and lift the shaft is will add drag, Too far to the front by the tranny and it allows sag and adds drag.
My installed shaft was not pointing at my tranny so I had to bend the strut a little and then had to work on the vertical alignment to get it right.   I was adjusting the verticle alignment when I added shims and sanded the strut. I hope yours is very close and you don't need to do any of this.
Slip your shaft into the strut and log, move it forward till it is close to your tranny. Spin it by hand. There should be nearly zero drag. I did use the newer plastic cutlass bearings which offer very low drag.   Lubricate your strut before install to make sure you have low drag. It will help find the happy spot.
While it is spinning freely and in the happy spot slip it to the tranny and see if it aligns so you can slip it right up and connect it. If you need to move it right or left or up or down you are not aligned.

Your picture shows bolt D and mount E. Loosen D and you can move C in and out of E.
If you need this adjustment you need to loosen both sides of the engine. Doing one side will not. I use a large pry bar and a couple short 2x4 blocks to pry against so I don't damage the fiberglass. Lubricate your adjusting mounts to ease the work.
Before you start adjusting think about what needs to happen to move your engine to perfect alignment for your happy shaft. Then start adjusting the 4 mounts to get there.
If your engine mounts can't get you in alignment you will need to adjust the strut.
Take your time and get this adjustment as close to perfect as you can.
After install mine would turn freely with one finger pushing the prop while fully bolted to the tranny. It has been vibration free since.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2016 at 11:24pm
Unless your log is rubbing on the shaft you can pretty much ignore the log alignment the flexible hose hook up will adjust for that. The important alignment is the strut facing the engine and tranny, that needs to be perfect. Watch the video's they will give you to tools you need to get this right the first time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 12:07am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Adam,
A new cutlass should have close to zero play depending on both the shaft OD and the cutlass ID tolerances.

Are you watching the alignment 101 video I linked? I only ask since you may be confused on who did the video.,

Oh that is you in the video. Fantastic instructional. I have to say usually people that are so good technically aren't so good looking.
'97 21' Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 12:10am
When you say "straighten the strut" what are we talking about here?
Ratcheting straps tied to a truck next to the boat?
Taking it off and putting it on a vise on a bench and pulling on it?
'97 21' Sport Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 12:48am
If it's actually bent sending it out is best. Most prop shops can do it but you need to ask. If you know it's bent and are sending it in might as well as have them put a new cutlass in there too.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 1:26am
So the washer shimming is only for up and down? This would mean that you would always be symmetrical with the washers, what you do on starboard is what you do on port?
'97 21' Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 6:16am

So the washer shimming is only for up and down? This would mean that you would always be symmetrical with the washers, what you do on starboard is what you do on port?

Adam,
The washers can be used for up and down and was even used at the factory before they went to more accurate methods of log and strut location. Washers can also be used for the port to starboard adjustment too if the strut isn't bent too much. Slightly elongating the holes in the hull can also be used to remove some twist. Get the shaft in part way almost to the log hole. Find the "happy" spot by lifting the front of the shaft removing the weight from the front and see how close to center of the hole you're at. If close, push the shaft through the log and check for that "happy" spot again. Resting the front of the shaft on a block of wood with a V in it as Mark describes is a good method so you don't need to struggle with the weight while checking for that happy spot. Hopefully your strut will be fine but as Gary mentions, a prop shop can straighten it. A machine shop is another option. Several of our members have straightened them themselves. You need a hydraulic arbor press and some fixturing like a L block. Report back to what you find. The strut alignment is the most difficult part of alignment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 3:54pm
Thanks Pete. As usual life saving advice.
I was wondering if it is possible to fix the coupling axis alignment with the motor mounts instead of the strut shim. Since all four corners of the motor are adjustable in both axis couldn't you walk the motor x or y before aligning the angle of the couplings? Feels safer than shimming the strut for a newbie.
'97 21' Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 7>
  Share Topic