Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop key way is sheered

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567>
Author
BaccoBouncer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2016 at 11:26pm
OK now I'm feeling frustrated.
So got all the motor mount adjusts loose. yeah! home stretch right? Nope. I almost have it dialed in so that the couplings are parallel. I just need to move the front (fore) end of the motor a bit more port. But when I leverage it over there it just seems to move back when I release the pressure. I finally figured out that the fore port motor mount is all the way in. The tierod ( don't know name) shaft that goes into the motor mount is up against the engine block. You can see it in the picture. I also noticed that the alternator rubs on the floor trim on that side and has been for a long time. It has worn two grooves into it from vibration.
So here's the big picture. I have the strut in dead center of the log and perfect top to bottom. The reason why I decided to adjust the strut is because it was very far over to starboard, almost touching the log. I would also say that the log doesn't look perfectly straight in the hull. This is a 250 hr boat with one owner who showed me all maintenance records and he didn't know much about boats so he never worked on it. He thought it had a carb until I pointed out the EFI and explained how it worked. So I think I'm looking at some factory stuff here.
So if this is all original then the following may have happened. The guy who put the log in didn't align it very well. So this made everything have to shift over , motor mount strut to accommodate as much as possible. The issue is that the motor mounts only have so far they can go and the floor opening only has so much room. The put the fore of the motor over to side as far as it will go (rod on block), alternator housing rubbing.
So now that I centered the strut to the log the motor can't make it that extra bit to line up.
wher eit is now If I center the two couplings I am around .008" off axis for parallel.

So my options are.....
1) Remove the Fore Port motor mount and take out the tie rod and cut a little bit off the end so I can adjust a bit farther and not hit the block. I would also have to grind a bit of the rail that trims the floor so the alternator isn't hitting them. I am able to get a bottle jack under the block so I can remove the mount.
Or..
2) Remove the strut and put it back where the shaft is almost rubbing the log. Basically the factory setting. I imagine like this the stuffing box is surely pulling on the shaft to one side which can't be good.

Or....
3) Remove the strut and the log. Center the motor on it's mounts. Then put the log and the strut back on aligned with the motor at nominal

Thoughts?

'97 21' Sport Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2016 at 12:13am
Option 1 all day ....
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2016 at 12:22am
I looked back thru the thread but could not see what engine you have. Is it a Chevy? Could you use a shorter belt and bring the alternator closer to the block? I think I'd go with option 1. I can't imagine the factory placing the log off but yet can't explain why it won't align
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2016 at 12:42am
How about a do over. With all 4 bolts for your prop shaft removed. Take your feeler gauge and try and see how much room you have between the tranny coupler and the prop shaft.
It should be all within about .0015 when done. 1.5 thousands of an inch. That is checking all around the 360 degree circle. You may have zero at 6 oclock and .0015 at 9 oclock and zero at 12 oclock. That would be fine.

Once we know what you have for clearance and where it is on the clock we may be able to help.
Right now we are in the dark.   Check and see where you have zero clearance with the prop shaft pulled up to the tranny coupler by hand.
Can you spin it freely with it pulled on to the tranny coupler? The only drag should be in the cutlass bearing but you can lubricate that for this test.
You need to know how much clearance you have and report it so we can start to assist.
Hang in there you are close.
Mark

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2016 at 12:57am
When I pull the coupling up, the point of contact is at 3:00. My clock is me at the rudder looking at the tranny coupling. i.e. point of contact is dead starboard. The aft mounts are pretty centered left to right. If I adjust them to get the two couplings parallel then the two coupling axis are pretty far off.
So I first adjusted the aft mounts to get the coupling axis centered. Then to take that 3:00 point of contact and 9:00 gap closed I would then move the fore of the motor a bit port. That is when the mount bottoms out on the block and the alt hits the floor trim. Like I mentioned it has been in that extreme spot for a long time because the trim has the cut grooves from the alternator housing.
i agree removing the mount and trimming the yoke shaft (or what ever it's called) is likely the bet option. If I can just a get a smidge more out of that I should be able to close that gap in the coupling.
Any advice on removing a motor mount?
I wa also wondering why the fore and aft motor mounts are different styles?
'97 21' Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2016 at 2:51am
I pulled it cut it and put it back together.....in the dark. when it's light I'll see how the alignment goes. Thanks for the direction.
'97 21' Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2016 at 8:59am
Adam,
It was suggested but I don't recall if you ever checked if your strut was bent or off center causing the aft end of the shaft to be off center? If so , you could still get the shaft centered in the log but due to the angle of the shaft, it causes the engine to sit on an angle and off center as well. This could be the problem with you needing the extra adjustment on the forward engine mount? Get a measurement from each side at the chine to the shaft.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2016 at 3:21pm
I agree with Pete.
You need to check the strut alignment there's no way the motor should have to be pushed that far off center.
I had to do a strut adjustment on my '95 because the motor needed to be shifted to far to one side to be properly aligned at the coupler.
Can you get a pic from behind the strut without the prop maybe we can see the root of the problem.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2016 at 3:44pm
Yes,   I've mentioned this before.    I refer to it as an "Out of Parallel Alignment"
When you have perfect align at the coupling. Centered in the front of the log, but yet requires the front mounts to be all the way to one side.
This means your strut is still out of whack.

baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2016 at 5:34pm
Just so you know, these struts are really soft and bend easy. My region is shallow and I see the bottom often. Typically the bend is a twist. Just a tiny bit can move the coupling end 1/2". I have straightened them in situ many times with a 15" crescent wrench and cheater pipe. They have to be really bad to go to the press. Then again I run a split coupling due the repeated groundings so its easy to slide the shaft out and check for centered hull penetration. Its harder to adjust and check with the shaft in but it can be done. Just because the engine has been in the boat half sideways for years don't make it right.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2016 at 6:07pm
That would make sense.
But.... Having that extra little bit of adjustment I got everything spot on. There is far less than .002" gap on the couplings. Can't measure less. The shaft turns so freely that with the missing blade prop on it will turn the shaft just from the offset balance. So I have it nicely tuned for what is there.
I'll keep everyone posted as she get's stitched back up and heads for the water.
Thanks
'97 21' Sport Nautique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 4:45am
Make sure all the adjustments are bolted back up tight and take it for a spin.
After a few hours use I would check the shaft by hand and see if it still spins freely for you.
Congratulations on your repair.
I pulled mine out for the first time today, charged the battery and decided it was time to change all the wheel seals and clean and pack the bearings with new grease.
Trying to get ready.
Mark
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 6:10am
[QUOTE=BaccoBouncer]   There is far less than .002" gap on the couplings. Can't measure less. /QUOTE]
Adam,
What are you using to measure? I'm curious why you can't measure less than the .002'.Are you trying to use a real thin feeler gauge which can be difficult due to how thin and flexible they are? If so, try using two that are thicker say ,011" and .012". The difference is .001". Below the .001" is by "feel" unless you have a set that has some .0005" increments in it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 10:17am
I put in .004 or so at the tightest point (to act as a spacer) & very-lightly tighten the closest screw. Then, like Pete said above, you can use next thicker feeler gage to check within .001.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 10:29am
I guess can't may have been too strong a term. I was excited to be done at that point. I was holding them together and if I let go and tried to make a space it moved. i recall now that you guys said to put a bolt in to hold it in place. I think I was also thinking that .001 of movement was likely considering the distance from coupling to strut just by it's own natural weight or the packing box etc.
I'll run it for a few days and then check/adjust again.

How tight should I do the packing nut?
Thanks,
Adam
'97 21' Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 10:57am
Originally posted by BaccoBouncer BaccoBouncer wrote:

How tight should I do the packing nut?
Thanks,
Adam

In most cases, all that's needed is hand tight. If more is needed, tighten slightly with a wrench. You do not want the gland to run hot. Warm is OK. You will need two wrenches to set the jam nut against the packing nut. I suggest two spud wrenches and not pipe wrenches or slip joint pliers. I've seen too many hack jobs where the nuts look like they've been chewed on by brass beavers!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 11:11am
What's a spud wrench? Sunds delicious
'97 21' Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 11:47am

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 12:00pm
ok. I might just use a small C clamp which should be as delicate
'97 21' Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 12:56pm
Slip joint or as we call them channel locks work fine as long as they're large enough to sit on the flats of the nuts not the corners.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Slip joint or as we call them channel locks .

Or if you are really "dated" like myself, water pump pliers!! BTW, the only other person I know that calls them that is Billy.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 1:17pm
You mean like a stillson wrench
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 2:36pm
Rib not slip
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

You mean like a stillson wrench

I'm sure Roger over on the other side of that big pond calls them that!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2016 at 1:57am
good to hear its all back up and running Adam,
That was a good undertaking. But i bet you completely understand now why marine mechanics charge $100+ an hr. They earn every penny and rarely catch a break.

I'm going to be that guy right now though,
Why do you guys not check them or suggest checking them in the water? I've always been told to do final adjustment when its in the water because fiberglass moves. and when its being supported on blocks or a trailer it may be in a different home location than when its being supported by water.
That said; under load, accelerating, decelerating, high seas conditions or overloaded with fat sacs that alignment is sure to be flexing around a bit so how picky can you get?
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2016 at 4:14am
I guess I did not suggest that method because the trailer method has always worked to attain a vibration free boat. Not saying it could not be better but it has been good enough.
Where did the factory set up the alignment?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2016 at 6:20am
Originally posted by DayTony DayTony wrote:

Why do you guys not check them or suggest checking them in the water? I've always been told to do final adjustment when its in the water because fiberglass moves. and when its being supported on blocks or a trailer it may be in a different home location than when its being supported by water.
That said; under load, accelerating, decelerating, high seas conditions or overloaded with fat sacs that alignment is sure to be flexing around a bit so how picky can you get?

The simple answer is a small hull that most of us have flexes less.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2016 at 12:27pm
How do you compensate for shaft sag at the log when in the water? You're only guessing where it spins with the least resistance in the cutlass.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2016 at 11:10pm
Soooooo close
Everything is back together   but........ With the motor adjusted where it is I can't move the alternator enough to tighten the belt. It was already marginal as you saw by the bite marks on the aluminum motor frame. It's going to be hard to find "exactly" the right size belt because there is very little throw. I would say my best option is a smaller alternator. It's a standard V8 block and there might be someone who makes a "racing" lightweight alternator.
or.... Is there a bolt on tensioner pulley that could work?

I know I know This is all a likely indication that my strut is bent which is why the motor had to be put so far to one side. I totally agree. I just want to get the boat in the water before it just becomes a flag of my defeat in the driveway for all summer for all to see. My 8 year old daughter has already stopped asking about when it's going in the water. She gave up.
'97 21' Sport Nautique
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2016 at 3:34am
Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread i just asked because in our big boat we do the adjustments in the water. it also has a 10" coupler not a 4" and about 10 inches of solid glass holding the cutlass so i figure it moves less than the little boats thin glass hull would.
With these short 1" shafts you can easily persuade it in one direction or another with a simple pull or push. There is certainly no persuading of our 2.25" shaft and flange. It is also easier to spin once the cutlass has water around it as kind of a lube,

I did my bfn on the trailer so I'm guilty either way. If the boat spent its life at a dock at my house i probably would have done it in the water just because its what i have been taught.

Adam, don't replace your alt. or pulley unless its busted. maybe you just need a new belt, sometimes they stretch/wear out. Napa should be able to match up a belt if you need something shorter. Napa in salem started only carrying the green heavy duty belts. I have brought belts down there and wound up buying 2 or 3 sizes before just because i didn't want to drive back.
And get that boat in the water!
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567>
  Share Topic