NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Marine Distributor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marine Distributor
    Posted: May-15-2016 at 12:08pm
I found an HEI distributor for a ford 351w for less than 60.00 the same marine distributor is more like 300.00 . Other than the vacuum advance, venting and advance curve what is the difference between the two. Has anyone marinized a automotive distributor?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2016 at 12:15pm
Michael,
Considering the mark up typical of OEM parts, I have a feeling that you would end up spending more than a new marine to convert the automotive. Let's see if anyone else has any ideas.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2016 at 12:29pm
I was hoping to get some facts how does the manufacture of the marine dist make it so?
Its obvious they started with a stock automotive dist and modified it for marine use . Just like with starters,alternators,fuel pumps and carbs all are modified automotive parts modified to be marine compliant. I know the vac advance will have to be removed and the gap filled and sealed to the cap . 3/8 vent holes covered with fine brass screen and reset the advance curve will be needed . Did I miss anything?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2016 at 1:17pm
I think you would have to check to see if it even has any mechanical advance at all,some modern ones do not. Some are vacuum retard for emissions too.
The Mallory YL in the older Holman Moody's were automotive ones converted to marine but they started out as a dual point centrifugal advance to begin with. They removed a set of points,made a new point plate and put the condenser inside. No screens were installed either. I filled the vent hole and installed a screen assembly from a junk distributor
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2016 at 1:47pm
I would not hesitate on converting one. Might be a little bit of work on the one you found but I searched this one out.
eBay item number:121985933398
Granted, 5 days to go but Summit wants $445 for the same thing.
Easy to switch over. Hardest part is obtaining and installing the RR gear   I have done several gear swaps It is best done on a milling machine but can be accomplished on a drill press. If you need the gear let me know. I have one left over.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2016 at 1:58pm
Just a quick side note FYI:    Dated (1/6/2016)    Yesterday MSD Performance announced that they have officially acquired the ACCEL Performance Group who owns not only ACCEL Ignition, but also Mr. Gasket, Mallory Ignition, Lakewood, Quicktime, and Hays.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2016 at 9:21pm
Well, if you buy one advertised & used for the intended marine function, liability falls on the manufacturer if something goes wrong.

If you convert it yourself & something happens, you are the deep pockets they go after . . .
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2016 at 7:06am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

I have done several gear swaps It is best done on a milling machine but can be accomplished on a drill press.

Duane,
I feel when accuracy is difficult it's one of the reasons taper pins and reamers were developed waaaay back! Actually, I also feel this is a great application for a taper pin.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2016 at 7:26am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

I have done several gear swaps It is best done on a milling machine but can be accomplished on a drill press.

Duane,
I feel when accuracy is difficult it's one of the reasons taper pins and reamers were developed waaaay back! Actually, I also feel this is a great application for a taper pin.

Pete, The real problem is that gears are not interchangeable from one dist to the next. They drill them at assy and not the same. Just about have to rotate the gear 90 degrees and re -drill the gear. You want the pin in the initial hole in the shaft so as to not weaken the shaft. Also I hate to disagree with you but I would NEVER use a taper pin on a rotating application. Split pins stay tight. Just my experience
        1978 Mustang (modified)
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2016 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

I was hoping to get some facts how does the manufacture of the marine dist make it so?
Its obvious they started with a stock automotive dist and modified it for marine use . Just like with starters,alternators,fuel pumps and carbs all are modified automotive parts modified to be marine compliant. I know the vac advance will have to be removed and the gap filled and sealed to the cap . 3/8 vent holes covered with fine brass screen and reset the advance curve will be needed . Did I miss anything?

That's basically it, part of the process would likely be testing and making fixes based on the results of that testing. I have had a few boxes tested for hazardous locations, sometimes they pass easy sometimes something unexpected causes issues.   

I would also be very careful of the quality of the distributor... I doubt you are worrying about a reverse rotation gear for what you have in mind but do pay close attention to the gear.   I just got towed home a few days ago in my truck because I replaced the 38 year old original distributor with a new one from the local autozone cause I figured I would treat the new engine to all new parts.   The new distributor had a clearance fit on the gear, and a cheap excuse for a roll pin to hold it in place.   It made it about 50 miles.   Half a day of work lost and 135 for the tow and I am back to the old distributor and running like a champ.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
H2oXtremes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H2oXtremes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2016 at 8:13pm
Alright it seems I can never get the thread search option to ever really pull up any searches unless I type out exact matching phrases of a topic, I guess keywords isnt something this site can understand So I am sorry in advance is this topic has come up before.

Anyway I am replacing my distributor on my 351w, but I have been reading on other Ford forum sites that the oil drive pump shaft can stick to the bottom of the distributor and come off and drop into the oil pan when removing the distributor, has anyone else had any issues with this? I am trying to prepare myself for that nightmare.
1985 Ski Nautique 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2016 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by H2oXtremes H2oXtremes wrote:

Alright it seems I can never get the thread search option to ever really pull up any searches unless I type out exact matching phrases of a topic, I guess keywords isnt something this site can understand So I am sorry in advance is this topic has come up before. .

Use a "google" type search as the sites search feature isn't the best.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2016 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by H2oXtremes H2oXtremes wrote:

I have been reading on other Ford forum sites that the oil drive pump shaft can stick to the bottom of the distributor and come off and drop into the oil pan when removing the distributor, has anyone else had any issues with this? I am trying to prepare myself for that nightmare.   

Only a problem if someone has had the engine apart and either removed the clip on the oil pump driveshaft or put it in upside down if even possible. More likely that you would have trouble getting the distributor to seat on the driveshaft,but thats not a big deal either just some wiggling and maybe lowering the front of the trailer.
As for searching just use google type in Correct Craft Fan distributor or what ever else you want to look up
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2016 at 10:22am
So here is where I am . I bought the dist and 8mm wires . I then removed the vac advance and installed a aluminum bracket to prevent the pick up coil from moving. Then I filled the hole in the base where the vac advance went through. I then drilled 2- 3/8 holes in the bottom of the unit and epoxied fine brass screens to the inside. I installed the dist and wires and checked the timing. The total advance of the original dist was 15 degrees it was the same on the HEI unit so no adjustment was required. Engine starts immediately and runs great . I will keep you posted as time goes on.

Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2019 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

I will keep you posted as time goes on.

Has this distributor been working fine for you? PO of my boat installed an automotive distributor that I doubt has been marinized like you did, and I am concerned it is causing some issues with my motor's running.
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2019 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Wilhelm Hertzog Wilhelm Hertzog wrote:

PO of my boat installed an automotive distributor that I doubt has been marinized like you did, and I am concerned it is causing some issues with my motor's running.

What are the issues with the engine? Does the auto distributor still have the vacuum advance and is it connected?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2019 at 4:22pm

Originally posted by Wilhelm Hertzog Wilhelm Hertzog wrote:

PO of my boat installed an automotive distributor that I doubt has been marinized like you did, and I am concerned it is causing some issues with my motor's running.

What are the issues with the engine? Does the auto distributor still have the vacuum advance and is it connected?

Click on the link below and you'll see pictures of his distributor and some of your questions will be answered.............only some of them.   

You'll also find the link that took him to this thread in the linked thread

link
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2019 at 1:27am
Are we talking about an Australian distributor ? Don't their toilet flush backwards ?
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2020 at 4:19pm

Does the auto distributor still have the vacuum advance and is it connected?

Yes, it still has the vacuum advance, but no, it is not connected. Should I connect it? I guess checking whether the ignition advances enough through the rpm range without the vacuum advance is probably the first thing to do before connecting.
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2020 at 4:55pm
The vacuum advance probably won't work very well. Unlike automotive, the marine engine being under load most of it's RPM range doesn't produce the correct vacuum. You can try it but what's really needed is a distributor with a mechanical advance.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic