NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wake Havoc

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 9:01am
According to the above posted document
·" Make sure that your wake doesn’t rock other boats, docks, etc. Your wake is considered a part of your boat, and you are responsible for any damage or injury caused by your wake"
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 2:01am
coast guard website states that there may be State or local laws which specifically address "wake" for the waters in question. and goes on to say "As to whether or not a particular vessel is responsible for the damage it creates is a question of law and fact that is best left to the Courts."
so to me its a battle of the all mighty wallet.

not sure if power squadron is the port authority in MA but i found this.
I tried making it a link but failed sorry
https://www.usps.org/e_stuff/documents/massachusetts-boating-law.pdf

no doubt it did take a massive wake for it to do that. I'm sure you've seen the rollers that come off some of these new wakesurf boats, its a jet skiers dream. There will always be people who don't care, but in our sport we should always be aware of the potential our wake has. even 150' away.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 1:59am
I don't understand why most people surf while never letting go of the rope think they need a 3 foot wave. 99% of the locals here will never progress to riding the wake without the rope to hold on to. What the sport is doing to small lakes around here is terrible.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 1:49am
I don't know the regs. If they were close to shore or in a no wake zone I'm sure they are liable, not sure if that's the case if they were in a legal spot on the water.

My last jet boat was low freeboard, pretty similar to that boat. I know what you're saying about leaving it stern out but I can tell you it would take a mountain of a wake to do that to my boat.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 1:42am
in MA you are responsible for any damage your wake causes.
hard part is someone proving it was your wake and your wake alone that caused any said damage.
so what it comes down to is who has the better lawyer.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 1:40am
The link has posts saying the wake boat is responsible but I find that unlikely unless they were breaking some specific law like riding in a no wake zone.

Anybody know what would really happen in this situation assuming the wake boat was not too close?
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 1:36am
Thats a real shame, no one wants to see their boat underwater.
Freeboard in those boats is near nonexistent . Not sure i would keep it tied to open water stern out like that.
I would hate to be the owner of the "wake" boat and get that call from insurance.
At least it didn't get swamped underway with passengers aboard injuring people and hydro locking the engine. At least at the dock it is salvageable, if they were able to float it in a reasonable amount of time.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 1:24am
Saw this on another forum I watch:

Swamped

The little bit we've surfed, with a fair amount of ballast, I've cringed a bit at the wake we put up, not so much for boats at docks (not enough wake to do damage), but fishermen in small boats getting rocked around. Yet my not-quite-surfable wake is a ripple compared to a G21, and a G23 has to be beyond belief. I wonder how many low freeboard boats will have the same fate as this one.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic