NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Electrical problems - Fish Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GrandSlam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandSlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrical problems - Fish Nautique
    Posted: June-20-2006 at 2:13pm
Calling all electricians…When I turn on something electrical like the blower, the battery gauge shows a discharge to 11 v and with the motor (351) running the engine gauges increase their readings, i.e. the temp gauge goes from 175 to 190 and the oil pressure goes from 60 to 80. This happens every time I turn on a switch – blower, bulge pump, running lights, etc. turn it off and everything goes back to the normal readings. I plan to take the dash apart this weekend to attempt to fix. I was going to begin to check the switch and gauge connections for tightness and corrosion, anything else? Thanks, Jerry
Jerry Troy

USCG Master, 100GT

1989 23' Fish Nautique

1992 47' Jersey SF
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2006 at 2:34pm
Jerry, You more than likly have a high resistance connection possibly from corrosion or loose connection in your positive feed to the dash panel. If the motor turns over and starts OK, then your battey connections are probably OK. Check the heavy red wire from the engine to the dash panel. Doesn't hurt to clean up all major connections including the ground wires.
GrandSlam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandSlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2006 at 2:59pm
Thanks, 2, I will look for the "heavy red wire" feeding the dash panel. Where on the engine should I look, I haven't noticed it before?   Jerry
Jerry Troy

USCG Master, 100GT

1989 23' Fish Nautique

1992 47' Jersey SF
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2006 at 3:29pm
Jerry, I believe it will be connected to the starter solenoid along with the feed from the battery. This is how my OMC is, don't remember if it is the same on the 351. It will also pass through a large connector along with several other wires near the engine. As in heavy red wire I am talking about a #10 wire, about 3/16" in diameter.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2006 at 4:06pm
Check for corrosion on the terminals and see if this helps but I believe your main problewm is the Alternator is going out. especialy if it has never been upgraded to the internal regulator sytle alternator.
hotfish172 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotfish172 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2006 at 9:00pm
Are all connections sealed? If not, I would start by tracking down all of your connections and make sure they are not green with corrosion and re-seal them... Sooner or later you will have to do this. Might as well do it now while the connections are not balls of corrosion.
MarkNConnie
GrandSlam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandSlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 9:41am
Thanks for all the good suggestions. Several weeks age I pulled apart several (I believe there were 4) multi wire connectors under the front of the engine consol leading to the gauges and switches, Mark, I will take another look at these as well as the connections to the gauges and switches. I will try to fine the large power wire as Matt suggested, and if this doesn’t work I will check out the alternator as Chris suggested. Thanks again for the help, Jerry
Jerry Troy

USCG Master, 100GT

1989 23' Fish Nautique

1992 47' Jersey SF
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 10:04am
the factory alternator is very weak , even when new , don't try and rebuild the old one , buy a new one with higher output , ebasic had 55 amp mando on sale for 99 , give them a call to see if it's still on , here's the cheapest price on 65 amp mando , it made everything in my FN work alot better.        http://www.amarket.com/mes3159.htm
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 12:28pm
I believe this is a common grounding issue of the instruments. Instruments are all grounded in series. Remove all grounds and clean. Re-intall using dielectric grease.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic