Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

www.skiboatdeaths.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: www.skiboatdeaths.com
    Posted: June-21-2006 at 10:21am
www.skiboatdeaths.com

Saw this being discussed over on wakeworld.com.

Tragic story....feel awful for the parents loss...but the the fact is the kid was doing two things that my future child will never do: 1)'teak surfing' and 2)not wearing a life jacket.

Now this guy has sued the boat manufacturer.

Interested to see what some of your opinions are.
Life is Good.
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 11:02am
I think that there definetly needs to be a way to reduce the CO.

But agree with you CO is not a problem if you know of the problem and respect it.
Teak surfing and not wearing a life jacket are illegal and that is what killed him. Had he not been teak surfing he would still be alive. If he had been teak surfing with a life jacket on they probably could of recesitated him.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 11:10am
First, I am truly heartbroken for the family and their loss.
Secondly, boating and skiing are great fun, but there are risks. Caution must be a priority. We never get in or out of the boat unless the engine is off. We never sit or stand on the ski platform unless the engine is off. We do not start the boat until the skier is safely away from the prop or the exhaust.
We nevery start the boat until the person in the water lets us know that they and the ski ropes are clear of the prop. It is always the drivers responsibility to make sure of these things before the boat is started.
Driving a boat lulls one into a false sense of security, all that open space, but skiers and other boats can and will do unpredictable things. A driver needs to constantly be aware.

But in that awareness--there is nothing that beats running a classic boat through the slalom course, or cruising the quiet waters at the day's end!
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Tribal150 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tribal150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 11:54am
When I was at the detroit boat show one of the manufacturers (and I think it Calabria has a way to switch the exaust from coming out the back to going out side ports. If it is this company it probably came about from this lawsuit. If any good comes from this it is that you need to practice safety at all times in the boat. In the past I have allowed the motor to run while picking up skiers or when people are strapping on their wakeboard or skis, but never again, the boat will always be off, and I will make sure whoever drives my boat knows that this is the rule. A new starter is so much cheaper than losing someone you care about.

Rob
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 11:54am
A terrible thing to happen. I can't imagine loosing a child for any reason. I am probably over cautious when boating. No one is on the platform or boarding or dragging right behind the boat with the boat running. The boat starts when the skier is well clear of the boat. I see people boarding boats all the time with the boat running. Luckly I haven't had to see what happens if the person slips getting in. A little more caution on all of our part can help to prevent some of the lawsuits with the manufactures getting blamed for things that should be the responsiblity of the us, the consumer.
Greg

86 BFN
SMay81SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMay81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 1:35pm
I wonder if there is a list of what boats and model/years that show the CO adminted. Do the older skiboats admite more then the newer ones etc...

Terrible story, I can't even imagine that with my kids, but I have never let my kids drag behind the boat just by holding on the deck and never will and always have a life jacket on....please
Scott
Our 94 SN
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 2:06pm
No question a very tragic situation however it does appear to be preventable with a little common sense. I NEVER let anyone ski behind my boat without a floating device, be it a barefoot suit or PFD nor is my engine ever running while someone is on the swim platform. My current boat, 05' 206, was delivered with numerous CO warning stickers on it as well as CC includes pamphlets explaining CO warnings and hazards. With my previous boat which was a 99', CC mailed warning stickers and pamphlets a year or two after delivery, if you heed any of these warnings you most likely will never have a problem.
Of course I feel for their losses however sadly more often then not individuals do not take responsibility for their own negligence and instead find someone to sue.
I heard CC discontinued the hot/cold showers from the factory after 05' because of liability related to CO poisoning.
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 2:40pm
I am going to agree with the "use a little bit of common sense".

Terrible thing to happen and I feel for the families, but the link stated that they had done this about 150 times before, if that is the case the kid is lucky he made it this far.

If you are being towed or pulled behind a boat no matter what length you should have some form of flotation.
oldskiboat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 3:08pm
I can understand that his father would like to do something to help. What a terrible loss. Sure many things could have been done and I am sure that father has run them all through his head many times. For new boats there are many solutions. Stickers, converters and side exhusts were mentioned. All are good ideas, but what about the old ski boats that are out there. How about if placing a sticker in a few spots on the boat becomes a Coast Guard standard like having a throw ring and other safety gear are now. Say on the stern and the dash in front of the driver. I for one would be happy to buy a few stickers to possibly save a life.
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 3:20pm
First, we all agree it was a terrible tragedy.

But like PLBC said...150 times? with no life jacket? and they didn't know there was CO back there?....give me a break...truly unbelievable.

I'm actually surprised the owner/driver/adults/whoever was in charge wasn't charged or arrested.

Footnote:

The Family settled it's lawsuit with the manufacturer (Calabria) for 1 million bucks.

Life is Good.
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 3:31pm
on the website there is a link t*tled "what is CO". within that page it discusses the use of "water blatters". Anyone know what these are?

look at the pic at the top of the page. my kids have admitted to headaches from riding in the back seat. always disgarded it to sun, sea, rough rides, hunger and possibly CO. Now I'll always consider CO as the first cause.

I dont like lawsuits especially when consumer negligence is involved. But if the pic is accurate regarding CO at the stern under idle - then i'll have to agree thats its time to do something
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 3:50pm
Here is a system that basically diverts your exhaust further down into the water and claims to significantly reduce the CO levels @ the platform. They have a model that claims to fit all Correct Crafts for $300. It also says it reduces exhaust noise which i would think many here would see as a negative :)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by oldskiboat oldskiboat wrote:

All are good ideas, but what about the old ski boats that are out there. How about if placing a sticker in a few spots on the boat becomes a Coast Guard standard like having a throw ring and other safety gear are now. Say on the stern and the dash in front of the driver. I for one would be happy to buy a few stickers to possibly save a life.

That's like putting a sticker on the bow stating not to lean over while underway. Or how about a sticker on your dashboard to wear your seatbelt in the car. Come on, stickers don't save lives. Inboard ski boats have been around say ~50 years and it's not like the problem has escalated to people dropping like flies.

I agree it totally sucks for it to happen w/o knowing about the dangers of CO, but that's something you need to learn/know BEFORE boating.
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 4:43pm
Fact is, if you cant set in a factory back seat with factory installed exhaust system without getting a CO headache there IS a problem.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by 77stang 77stang wrote:

Fact is, if you cant set in a factory back seat with factory installed exhaust system without getting a CO headache there IS a problem.

That fact is certainly hard to define. I can and do sit back there w/o ever having a problem. A six year old *might* though and would be very hard to prove it's from the CO, not saying it can't be but there are many other factors involved.

If this were such a huge problem why aren't we hearing about it from everyone else who's sitting in the back seat?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 4:52pm
If you are having an issue, I would check the hose connections and make sure you don't have a leak some where. It seems like it would be hard to get a concentrated level of CO will cruising, if your going really slow and the outlets are exposed then maybe after an extended period there could be an issue.

It's one thing to have it in your face while hanging on like a idiot and a completely different case when underway.
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 4:59pm
That diagram of CO readings under "What is CO" makes no sence at all to me. How can you get 5300 on one side and 2800-4900 on the other. The reading in the middle of the platform closest to the boat is 7500-23,800. I would like to know alittle more about how these tests were perfromed and why the odd numbers.

CO is harmfull when you are sitting still with you boat running or while being within 2ft of the exhaust pipes.
If you turn your boat off while you are stopped and dont allow people to ride on the platform or teak surf. You should be fine.

If someone does get poisened there is a good chance that they are going to pass out before they die. If they do not have a life jacket on when they pass out they will sink. So even if someone gets poisened there is a good chance they will survive if they are in the boat or have a life jacket on.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 5:22pm
my exhaust are tight as a drum. i honestly dont know why my kids get headaches. but it's more often than i'd like and its had me wondering in the past. i know headache levels are most likely not fatal but its certainly something to avoid if possible.

we probably do idle around too much when switching out skiers and so forth.

however, i do think that if CC and the other manufactures can meet consumer demands for ballast tanks and inboard showers in todays time and age i certainly think they could get a resolution on this.

In regards to stickers and so forth, it would take the coast guard to get it done because generally speaking manufactures arent going to post warnings due to the aknowlegment of the problem a warning would imply
great78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote great78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 7:57pm
you can put stickers all over your boat on things not to do but stupid people will still do stupid things. These settlements burn me like a cup of hot(McDonalds) coffee!
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 10:11pm
    At what point do people become responsible for their own actions?I agree it is a terrible tragedy for sure,but one that should have been avoided.My kids are young and have to wear a life jacket at all times.It's the law.Yes,when they are old enough not to wear one,they'll still have one on when behind the boat.Even if this kids dad wasn't aware of where the exhaust exited the boat,the owner surely was.

Unfortunatey a million bucks is pocket change compared to what the kid behind the boat paid.The only way I could justify keeping ANY of that money if I lost a child would be to spend it ALL promoting boat safety in his memory.What else would you do with it?
Dominique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dominique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 10:31pm
I just sent an email to the site. Having been an avid boater for over 40 years, as well as teaching boater safety, I recomended that he focus some of his efforts towards testimonials at boater safety courses so as that tragety may never happen again. We all must take some responsibility.   Matt
Dominique "Nobody's Business"
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 11:58pm
First off...we all agree that this is a tragidy.....I CANT imagine the pain of loosing a child,BUT... where was this guys head? Did he also pull the kids behind his car on their skateboard, with them hanging on to the bumper!?? He could sue GM then also? ....
        COME ON!!!!

Stickers,stickers,stickers (and law suites), that'll solve ALL the problems...When are people going to take responsability for their actions?...........
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 7:15am
I agree. If you were pulling kids in a wagon behind your Yukon Denali and they were gassed by CO, would you be able to sue GM? This is ridiculous. I can't believe the judges even let these cases go to court. I also can't imagine that catilytic converter would have saved the kid more so than a little common sense.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 9:21am
As they say..
"The problem with common sense is , its NOT".
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
oldskiboat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 2:47pm
Look guys, I agree that a sticker is not the save all solution, but if a person just wasn't thinking or truly did not know about CO, it may give them a thought to stop the dangerous activity. It is a cheap way to at least help people that care.
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 3:35pm
agreed
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 4:17pm

Im all for safety...Im not saying you shouldnt have any warning stickers..but where do you start and stop with them?
its because of lawsuites like these we have all the warning stickers on almost eveything we buy today (like the "HOT" on McDonalds coffee cups,gee hot coffee!?) .... ..
I would never let anyone teak surf for the simple fact your only a few feet away from a rotating prop..just common sense / safety...my point is ,its not a smart thing to do in the first place..I wouldnt have even thought about exhaust.....

im probably as torked about the lawsuit over what I consider an unfortunate accident..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Yak3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 6:26pm
I vote dad is a dumbass, take some responsibility for your actions, and saying he didn't realize the exhaust was under the swim platform is just unbelievable. He tried to come off so innocent with that garbage.
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 8:34pm
Just to inform some of you that seem to think its all about teak surfing because it's NOT. Data provided by the USCG

Number of Recognized CO Poisonings by Category*

Fatal        Non Fatal
Outside houseboats      23           53
Outside other boats     31           81
Inside houseboats      3           178
Inside other boats      33           112
Unknown boat type      11           11
Unknown
location of victim      
USCG data –             3           29
Unclassified             18           21

TOTAL – 607            122           485

*596 of these poisonings occurred in 1990 – 2004; 7 occurred in the 1980’s; and 4 have no specified date.

OK boys - let me have it!

jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2006 at 12:50am
Liberal California Jury...Enough said!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic