Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New project 1965 mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 9>
Author
Bilkolayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by Bilkolayne Bilkolayne wrote:

So all and all if my rotor button spins clockwise while the flywheel spins clockwise then it is a true right hand rotation as for if it's the right cam I will need to check the valves for the right fireing order which is no problem because I have the exhaust and valve covers off now. I will start with cylinder one at top dead center then the next to move will be cylinder 2 then 7 then 5 and so on

I don't think it is possible for the wrong rotation cam to spin the distributor clockwise. You should be good.

No it is not possible for the cam to spend in the wrong rotation as long as there is gear to gear timing gears and not a chain. If the engine rotates clockwise and the distributor rotor button rotates counterclockwise... then the last person f***** up royally and has no idea what they were doing
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 2:19pm

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

A friend of mine saved a customer some money by buying a new LH crate engine and changed the rotation himself. I think all he did was reverse the pistons and rods, and the firing order. I don't think he had to even change the cam shaft. There must be different methods to the SBC as they're so versatile.

That may have worked great right up until they tried to start it! Cam is (engine) rotation specific... Even though they spin the same way. Small blocks are set up just like big blocks.

I just spoke with him and he did replace the cam and chain with a RR cam and gear. I didn't remember that part. He reversed the rods, to minimize piston slap, although interestingly he is dismantling a PCM 454 RR engine right now and he says the rods were not reversed, so he says PCM converted the engine the "cheap way", by just changing the cam and gear.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 2:41pm
Pistons don't get installed backwards unless they have offset wrist pins... Which is not overly common. Never heard of installing a rod "backwards"... Can't think of how that would matter (I can't recall seeing an asymmetrical rod).

I highly doubt PCM was "converting" LH blocks to RH. The rear main seal needs to change and I just don't see them pulling the crank out to change the seal in every engine they got. I am sure they were ordering rotation specific longblocks directly from GM like every other marinizer.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 2:48pm
PCM or whoever reversed the rotation... I believe he said it was the wrist pins and the 454 out of the '86 is what he is dismantling right now. He says they're backwards. I'll be over there Thursday, maybe I can get a picture. I do remember him showing me why and how he was reversing the rods on the new SBC, but that was a few years ago.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 2:50pm

I don't think it is possible for the wrong rotation cam to spin the distributor clockwise. You should be good.

No it is not possible for the cam to spend in the wrong rotation as long as there is gear to gear timing gears and not a chain. If the engine rotates clockwise and the distributor rotor button rotates counterclockwise... then the last person f***** up royally and has no idea what they were doing

I should clarify. The snout of the rev rotation cam is not the same as a standard rotation. It should not be possible to install a gear/gear timing set on a std rotation cam, or a chain on a rev rotation cam. So, whichever rotation causes the distributor to rotate clockwise, the engine will run that way- crank and cam will be in synch.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 2:51pm
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 2:52pm
What he said was the rods had not been reversed on the 454 PCM he has. I don't know if it's been monkeyed with or not. He wasn't blasphamyzing PCM. The only PCMs he's ever seen are the ones we've brought to him.   Hollywood, you edited your post...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 2:59pm
I am guessing he means that he'd spin the piston and rod combo around 180deg in order for the offset wrist pin (on the piston) to match the engine rotation. (Rods themselves should not care about rotation). Pistons that don't have offset wrist pins should be installed the normal way (valve reliefs will be in the right spot).

Like I said, PCM wasn't converting engine rotations, the long blocks were coming from the engine manufacturers. I don't think GM would have done that... I am guessing someone else had been inside that 454 and didn't put it back together quite right. Did it still have the original Pcm silver paint on it?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 3:05pm

Did it still have the original Pcm silver paint on it?

Yes. Dave would know better than me if it had been apart prior to. I helped him take it apart, but that was 2 winters ago...

Anyway,,,it sounds like there's no mixing up RR and LR engines so the OP should be fine.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 3:09pm
Thought about it more- rod orientation does matter, bearings are chamfered. Common sense says that the rods should not be spun around based on rotation, but I'll let someone more knowledgable field that question.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 3:09pm
Discussions like these remind me of how much I miss @79Nautique, he always made that Rabbit hole very interesting!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Discussions like these remind me of how much I miss @79Nautique, he always made that Rabbit hole very interesting!

I was thinking of 79 as well. Dave and I are going over to Jim's Thursday to borrow some equipment. Perhaps Jim can explain it to Dave and Dave can translate it to Tim... I just know he reversed all the pistons and rods when he switched rotations... If Jim knows what he's talking about, I suppose it is even more critical on a RR race engine...
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 3:36pm

Thought about it more- rod orientation does matter, bearings are chamfered. Common sense says that the rods should not be spun around based on rotation, but I'll let someone more knowledgable field that question.

Don't know about the "More Knowledgeable" but the locks on the bearing have to face outboard. That puts the bearing in the correct location for the radius of the crank throw. Fords are notorious for having .060 offset wrist pins. On flat tops there are 4 valve reliefs. Just had that conversation with Sealed Power tech guy couple weeks ago. Ford marine engines (with offset pins) have the piston notch to the rear and bearing locks still outboard
Did I just confuse things more?
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 4:16pm
OK so off topic of what you guys are talking about. I just watched the engine when it rotated by the starter and the flywheel spins clockwise and so dose the rotor butten and the fireing order of the valves are righthand also so there for it is all correct a right hand engine. Dose that ancers your questions.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 4:17pm
No I think you confirmed what I was thinking... Pistons can be rotated 180 for rotation but rods should not be.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 4:21pm
We will see what's up when I get it fired up I'm not pulling pistons or rods just to check. So far everything checks out fine.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 4:23pm
The guy I bought it from told me that the engine ran and thay where trying to make carb adjustments when it went up in flames. I don't see that to be a reason to check the pistons for proper placement
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 4:27pm
Jonathan, no one is suggesting you do that. You've confirmed the rotation and that's good enough.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 4:43pm

OK so off topic of what you guys are talking about. I just watched the engine when it rotated by the starter and the flywheel spins clockwise and so dose the rotor butten and the fireing order of the valves are righthand also so there for it is all correct a right hand engine. Dose that ancers your questions.

Should be good to go. As long as the plug wires are in the proper order, you'll be fine.

You asked a question about the intake previously too. As far as I know, all SBC's 262 through 400 can share the same intake. At least up t0 '86 model year. In '87 they went to a different bolt pattern for the center line valve covers. Vortec heads are a different story but yours definitely aren't Vortec's nor the post '87 heads.
As long as the intake you want to install has the '86 and older bolt pattern, it should work..

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 4:58pm
OK so for ******* and giggles I got a fire extinguisher some wire and some ether.... i installed the new distributor and quickly wired up the power supply to it and gave a shot of ether down the old carb and she fired right up. Just for a sec tho..... I just wanted to here it fire
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 5:03pm
Tim's "no" was for Duane I think, not your post in between them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 5:32pm
Even if it was just for a sec I'm so glad I got to here it fire up today.... I got this wireing down pat now and just need to pickup more wire and connectors I will do that tomorrow sometime.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 5:34pm
wtf it's only 3:30

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

wtf it's only 3:30

Lmao but I only ran some wire to a battery really rigid just to fire it up.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 5:53pm
While you'r at it, throw the starting fluid as far as you can throw it!!!!!!!!!!!   Might be OK for diesels but NOT for gas engines.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

While you'r at it, throw the starting fluid as far as you can throw it!!!!!!!!!!!   Might be OK for diesels but NOT for gas engines.

I know this that's why I put a small shot oil in each cylinder and cranked it over before I did that..... I am a mechanic don't forget that.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Should be good to go. As long as the plug wires are in the proper order, you'll be fine.

You asked a question about the intake previously too. As far as I know, all SBC's 262 through 400 can share the same intake. At least up t0 '86 model year. In '87 they went to a different bolt pattern for the center line valve covers. Vortec heads are a different story but yours definitely aren't Vortec's nor the post '87 heads.
As long as the intake you want to install has the '86 and older bolt pattern, it should work..

Boy I love when you guys talk like this......don't understand it but love it,

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2016 at 10:27pm
I did not get anything done today as I was stuck at work all day so I brought one of the burnt up valve covers to work and was able to clean it up its back to normal now nice and shiny. Nothing a little never dull and a wire brush could not handle. My carb spacer should be inn tomorrow some time. Hope to get the carb all hooked up and some wireing done.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilkolayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2016 at 4:36pm
Can someone tell me what the two big wires on the right side of the transmission are for?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2016 at 4:56pm
big?

neutral safety switch? interrupter in the starting circuit so you can't fire it up in gear.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 9>
  Share Topic