NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1972 SN Promo Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 111213
Author
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 10:32am
Looks like a good project, would love to have one.
1972 Mustang
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 8:52am
Yes, that is the serial number. We will have to compare it to the other promos and have Art pull the build sheets. Will be interesting to see the production dates, I have seen a mix of '72 and '73 hardware on the orange promo boats, but they are generally believed to be '72 model year. Of course, the model year demarcation was a little fuzzier back then. My theory is that the dark green promos were ~70, the yellow promos like Paul Waters were ~71's and the red/white/blue boats came in '73.
barefootdan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barefootdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 2:47am
I called this boat punkn while I had it.
barefootdan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barefootdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 2:44am
Diablo ski club is located in Brentwood CA.

So here is the story on how I obtained this boat it was something like 1998 when my dad told me about this boat located in a secured parking lot in stockton CA, so I would go to check it out, I found the owner of the lot and asked if he would leave the owner of the boat a message that I wanted to buy the boat, I never heard back from him. I would always drive by it just to look at it. One day the lot was empty. About 2 months later I got on the am track train going to bakersfield and sitting high in the train I see over a fence the boat again, once again I try to contact the owner with no reply again. A year or two pass then I find the boat in another secured parking lot and again I would drive by then finally one day I drive by and the gate was open and guys were moving vehicles. I asked if they knew the owner of the boat and the said yea he's across the street. This guy had about 20 junk cars and three boats. He was the classic hoarder did not want to sell me the nautique. I pretty much begged him for about an hour until he realized I wasn't leaving without it, it worked he sold me the boat in 2014. It then took me another year and a half to get it regestered in my name. That was the most difficult thing I couldn't tell you guys how many times I went to DMV and left there pulling my hair out. So that's my story.
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2016 at 10:50pm
So, I started incessantly pestering Dan about buying this beast. After he thought about it for a while, he called me back and gave me a price that was lower than I was willing to give him. Super cool guy and he just wanted to see it live!

At this time, Mr. Hall (aka BKHallPass) drove out to pick her up. Brian has gone way above and beyond acting as a personal bank, photographer, transportation, and storage facility.

Now a few mysteries, the plaque says "73". I thought these promos were all made in 72? Also does anyone know a Don McClelland? It would be cool to find out where this thing came from.

Is this the serial number?
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2016 at 10:30pm
I finally got home after a long stretch on the road followed by a wedding, As some of you have already seen, Dan posted here with the idea that he might sell his 72 Promo. I had a work trip in Oakland a few weeks ago so I got a hold of him and rented a car to come check it out.

I hope Dan can chime in here with the correct story of how he ended up owning it. As a remember it, some guy had a lot with a ton of different boats and other vehicles. This orange hull stuck out of the pack. Dan, being a Correct craft fan (he owns a 79 BFN and 91 SN), knew that it was something special and tried several times to get it.

When I came to see her, it sat in a lot 1hr west of Oakland, CA just like this.

As you can see, it's very very rough, but complete. The gel is in decent shape, the stringers are toast, the interior is gone (minus the frames), the trailer is not for an inboard, the rudder and tracking fins are bent, and 2 of the speedos are hooped.

The Chrysler 340 is in unknown condition. I didn't have a breaker bar in my suitcase but the dipstick still had oil in it and all the components are present. As you can see, the manifolds have been removed to get bead blasted. Reid.............I'm going to need your help on this one bud!

1999 Ski Nautique 196
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 111213
  Share Topic