Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

eyelet on back of 97 natique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skier83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skier83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: eyelet on back of 97 natique
    Posted: June-28-2006 at 10:37am
Is this designed for pulling skiers, tubers etc.? When I have a lot of people in the boat and don't wnat to use the pylon.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2006 at 10:49am
it's the lift ring put it's not an issue to tow skier's or tubes with it. A experinced skier is going to want to use the pylon but for beginers and modirate skiers it doesn't make a difference
skier83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skier83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2006 at 10:58am
I thought it was designed as a lift ring just wanted to make sure it could handle skiers. yes, it would just be beginners(mostly my young nephews and freinds)
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2006 at 11:24am
It would be a good idea for you to check the jamb nut and load distributing block on the underside of the deck just to make sure it is tight before you start pulling tubers/skiers. If the nut is loose, then I would imagine the lateral force could put abnormal stress on the thru deck hole that the lifting ring threaded rod passes through.

Otherwise, I agree with 79Nautique in that it is a non-issue to use the ring to pull tubers/skiers.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2006 at 11:24am
Which weighs more, your boat or a skier?
Tim D
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2006 at 11:37am
Tim:

That is not the point, it is a horizontal vs vertical load issue. The ring is designed for vertical loads. Some fear gelcoat cracking/damage when applying a horizontal load. But, if everything is tight, the deck is thick enough in the ring area to handle the horizontal load imparted by a tuber or skier. My '93SN has a tow spool on the rear deck (where the ring is on other years). The '93 thru '96 boats were the only years to have this spool. Now my thoughts are that this spool was added by CC because the lifting ring(s) were moved to the transon and below the swim platform. This move obviously rendered the lifting rings unusable for towing...hence the addition of the spool. The spool on my '93 is simply bolted through the deck with one 1/2" bolt with an aluminum load distributing plate on the underside of deck. Since CC thinks this is strong enough, then the lifting rings are certainly strong enough given they are basically handling the horizontal load in exactly the same manner.

Just my $.02.
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2006 at 12:40pm
regarding lateral forces on the the lifting eyes. i bought my boat with a slightly bent bow eye rod (for lack of a better term - the rod that runs from the base of the eye to the bow floor area)the incident did put a inch gelcoat crack in the deck.

i gernerally only pull my kids on skis and wake boarding ranging from 55 to 125 pounds. so i've had little concern. however, whenever i get a bigger kid or am pulling a tub, i constantly worry. i'm eventually going to something similar to what david is talking about. it will ease my mind.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2006 at 1:00pm
Another thing I thought about: The lifting rings have two screws that keep the ring from turning on the thread rod and keep the ring oriented properly relative to the deck. Now, if the jamb nut is not tight to the backing block, then when you load the ring (or step on the deck around the ring, the ring will try to pull the two screws out of the deck and thus can crack the gelcoat radiating from the screw holes.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2006 at 1:21pm
David:
      The point is, a person is not going to exert the amount of force equal to the weight of the boat. I know that the eye is for vertical lift, but my boat is 40 years old and never had a problem using the rear eye. Understand that we don't pull pyramids with the eye.
Tim D
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2006 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

Tim:

That is not the point, it is a horizontal vs vertical load issue. The ring is designed for vertical loads. Some fear gelcoat cracking/damage when applying a horizontal load. But, if everything is tight, the deck is thick enough in the ring area to handle the horizontal load imparted by a tuber or skier. My '93SN has a tow spool on the rear deck (where the ring is on other years). The '93 thru '96 boats were the only years to have this spool. Now my thoughts are that this spool was added by CC because the lifting ring(s) were moved to the transon and below the swim platform. This move obviously rendered the lifting rings unusable for towing...hence the addition of the spool. The spool on my '93 is simply bolted through the deck with one 1/2" bolt with an aluminum load distributing plate on the underside of deck. Since CC thinks this is strong enough, then the lifting rings are certainly strong enough given they are basically handling the horizontal load in exactly the same manner.

Just my $.02.

I the 90-96 boats all had the spool- I know my 90 had one. What did arrive later was that grab handle on the back- maybe that arrived around 93.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2006 at 1:32pm
Tim:

I do understand. But, if you look how the lifting rings are installed, they are setup for vertical strength exclusively...NOT horizontal. You will also notice that I believe it is fine to use the ring for pulling skiers or tubers. So, we agree on your point.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2006 at 4:09pm
Can you run the rope off pylon then thru lift ring to keep it centered?We used to do this in Dads old century when the boat was full.

good luck Munday
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2006 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Munday Munday wrote:

Can you run the rope off pylon then thru lift ring to keep it centered?We used to do this in Dads old century when the boat was full.

good luck Munday

now thats a clever idea
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2006 at 5:28pm
that could create more force than just having it right on the lift ring it's self. It would create mechnical advantage as the skier went outside of the wake to the side. Look it as if you drew a straight line from the skier to the pylon, the rope would be at an obtuse angle as it passes through the lift ring relative to the pylon and skier. Simular to if you used a sinlge puley and where pulling and teathered above the pulley just laying it on it's side in a horizontal plane verse's a vertical plane the advantage is the same.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2006 at 5:38pm
Hmmm I see what your sayin 79,but I thought there was no mechanical advantage in a single pulley set up,but I've been wrong before.I'll have to think about it a bit more.

Btw I really think alot of your opinions and glad you share them freely here on CCF

Good luck Munday
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2006 at 5:51pm
your right if the pulley is above the load, and both ends of the line are free to move or one end of the line is attached to the load. But if the pulley is attached to the load and one end of the line is tied off above the load and you are pulling from above then you get a 2X mechanical advantage.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic