NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Detached Garage

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2017 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

You say a taller door is cost prohibitive. Did you quote at a few places? .

I too am curious about the cost. Most likely you would only be adding one more section of door and the extra track.

Regarding the width, I too would go wider. How much room did you leave between the proposed garage and the house? 10 feet is all you would need to get some heavy equipment into the back yard.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2017 at 11:59am
David, from what I've been told, the only way to go taller on the door is to make the walls taller (makes sense to me). So it's the additional cost of the door but moreso seems to be the other structural modifications to accommodate that height. I was also told that to ensure that a typical tower height could be accommodated, a 10' door is really what would be needed. If I'm wrong on this, please advise as I'd rather have to not fold a tower.

Also, my wife is keeping me on my toes with regards to aesthetics. The taller door and building drawing looked goofy when in the periphery of the shorter attached garage door.

Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2017 at 11:41am
You say a taller door is cost prohibitive. Did you quote at a few places? Modular doors can be customized for less money than in the past. I'm just thinking from my own experience, there are a bunch of times when I'm dropping my boat off quick after a trip to the river because I have to pick up kids or something like that. Having to drop that Tower each and every time might get old, would be worth it to me to spend the bucks up front on the taller door.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2017 at 10:57am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Save a few bucks and only brick the front, match the rest to the siding used on the front of the house at the 2nd floor. Would go at least 24 on the width if you can. Not sure how you plan to rough in plumbing, if you are trenching in power consider doing the waste and water at the same time.

I can't believe I'm saying this - Listen to Quinner!     
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2017 at 10:57am
Quinner, I thought about the brick on the front only, but the neighborhood frowns on that. I also thought about widening, but it gets tight to the house really quick. Yes, to your suggestion about sharing the trench space with plumbing and electrical. That was my plan.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2017 at 10:49am
Save a few bucks and only brick the front, match the rest to the siding used on the front of the house at the 2nd floor. Would go at least 24 on the width if you can. Not sure how you plan to rough in plumbing, if you are trenching in power consider doing the waste and water at the same time.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2017 at 10:44am
Good points, Tim. See the overhead image of my lot below and it'll probably be obvious why the man door is on that side. The plan is to install a toilet in the back corner nearest the pool. Thought about making it wider, but that gets really tight to the house as I have a 20' side setback that I have to consider. No plans to store another vehicle in there.

Regarding the depth, width, height I'm working with, would you agree that I should be able to store any of the models mentioned in that space?

Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2017 at 10:40am
I'd swap the location of the window and man door... keep the man door towards the front and you can tuck the boat in closer to the wall (door would open forward of the fender). If there's ever any chance of storing a 2nd vehicle in there, making the garage a few feet wider (move man door to front) would make a lot more room to move around inside.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2017 at 10:21am
Hey Fellas,
I've been kicking around the idea of a detached garage for the last 18 months or so. Recall my earlier detached garage ROI questions thread.   \

My current attached garage setup is sort of doable, but far from ideal for easy, regular boat storage and retrieval.    Because I've been getting a lot more serious about it, I figured it's a good, slow time of year to show some sketches and photos and get feedback. I've been looking regularly for the right boat but haven't found it yet so I'm able to commit more time to the storage needs of the boat when I do find it. Hence this thread and discussion

My primary purpose is to use this structure as boat storage, as a general purpose light project space, cooking space, escape from the women space, watch a game space, etc.

The exterior is being finished to match my home per the neighborhood requirements.   The interior will be unfinished at least for now, but possibly forever. With regards to size, I want the flexibility to store a 206, Sport, Sport 200, or if I hit the lottery, a GS20.

With an Interior that is 26.5' deep x 18.5wide, I think I can accommodate any of those boats or similar sized boats. Would anyone disagree? I'm using a 16'W x 8'H garage door. Interior ceiling height will be 9'6". Originally, I wanted to go with a taller door, but that will be cost prohibitive and I believe won't look good with the current garage door symmetry so I'll be folding a tower each and every time.   First world problem, right?   I'd like to have the space so that the platform can remain on and the tongue can be extended if desired, but would more than likely remove the platform and fold in longer layup storage periods. Foundation will be a monolithic concrete slab 4" thick.

I'm going to rough in for a toilet and sink drain and that'll get done as time and money permit.

Planning to sub out the work myself. Will probably do most of the electrical and plumbing myself. Thinking I can build this 20x28 garage for $25K-$35Kish.

Considerations? Thoughts?

Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic