NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1993 SN, tubing off rear tow location

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
jsenicka View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsenicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1993 SN, tubing off rear tow location
    Posted: July-09-2017 at 11:58pm
Am I ok pulling a few kids on a tube off the rear tow location on my 93 SN? Or do I risk cracking fiberglass?
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 12:06am
you said tubing...   I hope you have thick skin, that could be a brutal mistake around here.    I don't think i would use the thimble on the transom for anything but a tie down spot. I believe that the Thimble is bolted through the fiberglass with a 3/8's bolt and a nut on the back side.
use the pylon and you wont' be worried about cracks or tearing the thimble out.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 12:09am
What does the decal by the spool say

[/IMG]
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jsenicka View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsenicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 12:16am
Thanks. Mine does not have the decal at all
jsenicka View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsenicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 12:21am
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 12:33am
Nice tube puller
jsenicka View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsenicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 12:38am
I got one boat, and a 16yo birthday boy and his friends that want to tube (wife's best friends kid). So I figure out how to do it best.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 12:50am
Don't be giving him a hard time guy's,see where he's from? Pete might be mentoring them. He can't stay on top forever

Maybe Jim your decal is missing or never had one. Company lawyers could have got it put on later boats too. Whatever you end up using it for keep an eye on it,the rope turning action on it seems to loosen them. Between my Dads and Father in law's massive tool collection it took me awhile to find an allen wrench that big to fit.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 1:29am
Originally posted by jsenicka jsenicka wrote:

I got one boat, and a 16yo birthday boy and his friends that want to tube (wife's best friends kid). So I figure out how to do it best.

Don't let the anti-tubers get you down. I "get it". I have 6 children and there have been many times when the water was too rough to ski / board and the kiddos wanted to play. The tube has provided many good memories. Also, I've worked with various youth organizations and group tubing excursions can provide good entertainment. In my boat, there is the "Jonny Quest Challenge". This challenge is that if you can stay on the tube for 30 seconds, I buy you all the food you can eat at the restaurant of your choice. I've never yet had to pay out. I've only had a handful of re-riders. I'm hopeful that with therapy and medication, they will make a full recovery...

Some tubing tips:
- No tubing while someone is skiing / boarding near by
- Be very considerate of others -- as your tubing activities can destroy the water and annoy others with your boat wakes
- Be hyper vigilant when operating the towboat
- Try to limit your tubing to choppy water time

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
jsenicka View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsenicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 9:00am
Thanks Jonny

This is a group of kids who do not know how to ski, and want a day on the water. My wife will operate my pontoon as a support boat with the mom, friends and siblings of the birthday boy. I have an experienced adult with as a spotter. Since my SN is a bone stock 93, we will pull from the pylon with just spotter and I in the boat. It is a week day, so less vacation traffic on the chain. I plan to use a bay on Otter lake and play. I hear you on not destroying water for other skiers
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 9:05am
Jim,
I'm sure glad you tube on the other side of the dam!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jsenicka View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsenicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 9:09am
Thanks Gary

Most of the decals on my 93 were removed at some point, likely to compound the boat before I bought it.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 10:23am
Go Team Red!

That is one of my favorite color schemes.

I would recommend that you NOT pull from the ski pylon. Use the rear transom tow point (not the grab handle).

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Go Team Red!

That is one of my favorite color schemes.

I would recommend that you NOT pull from the ski pylon. Use the rear transom tow point (not the grab handle).

JQ

JQ,
Fill me in on your logic or are you saying this in jest?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 11:00am
I.m seeing a Pete vs. JQ showdown here.

JQ behind the wheel, Pete on the tube, the rope hooked to the rear tow eye and anything goes from there.

Bets on the outcome would of course be allowed and encouraged.

All proceeds to the losers favorite charity since he might need it.

Boat judges would be needed to settle any disputes over time on the tube etc.

Maybe a collection to fly JQ to the Eagle River reunion and this could be happening soon.

A historical event or maybe a hysterical event anyways

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 11:07am
Pete, Johnny Quest is correct. A tube can put so much stress on a pylon that it could break and kill the people in the boat. Pylons are not intended for towing tubes. In my very limited experience in towing a tube, I've seen the pylon bend to the point where I stopped the boat and ended the tubing session and told the kids to hunt down their uncles if they wanted to tube.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Pete, Johnny Quest is correct. A tube can put so much stress on a pylon that it could break and kill the people in the boat. Pylons are not intended for towing tubes.

.. Wow, never would have guessed that. Trying to pull 16 guys on trick skis yes but not tubes. Bruce, you pulling Sasquatch and a few of his friends to bend a pylon?
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 12:08pm
I was pulling a skinny kid in a ordinary tube with a 1988 Malibu Skier and when the tube caught the water and dragged on the boat, the pylon would bend. Never saw that happen with the biggest, strongest slalom skiers. We had somehow gotten roped into taking this kid and after that happened it was easy to say no to tubes. There's plenty of other people in our family with more appropriate boats for that.

I'm not so sure it was at all safe in Tim's '90 on that 16 trick skier event. That was about the most extreme load I've ever seen pulled, (or attempted).
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 12:19pm
In the last 24 years I have pulled just about everything from my rear tow point.   Tubes (two at a time with teenagers), skiers, wakeboards, kneeboards, jet skis, other boats and never had a problem.   Our boats are built extremely well.   The warning stickers are for the lawyers.   And as far as the pylon breaking off that is absurd in Correct Craft maybe in a Malibu but know way in a CC.

Have fun with the kids and don't worry about your boat.
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

In the last 24 years I have pulled just about everything from my rear tow point.   Tubes (two at a time with teenagers), skiers, wakeboards, kneeboards, jet skis, other boats and never had a problem.   Our boats are built extremely well.   The warning stickers are for the lawyers.   And as far as the pylon breaking off that is absurd in Correct Craft maybe in a Malibu but know way in a CC.

Have fun with the kids and don't worry about your boat.

Well said!
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Pete, Johnny Quest is correct. A tube can put so much stress on a pylon that it could break and kill the people in the boat. Pylons are not intended for towing tubes.

.. Wow, never would have guessed that. Trying to pull 16 guys on trick skis yes but not tubes. Bruce, you pulling Sasquatch and a few of his friends to bend a pylon?

Tim,
Notice now that Bruce has admitted the bending pylon is on his Malibu!

I admit that there's a shock loading factor when pulling a tube but the pylons in CC's are tough especially later models with the engine cradles. Our local ski club has pulled pyramids with SN's for at least the past 30 years without any pylon problems. In the early days it was common to pull 16 man pyramids. Every year they get a new SN and this year have the 200 with the 450 HP pulling 22 man pyramids!!! Isn't that a load? Try that off that little knob screwed into the glass on the aft deck!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 1:49pm
That boat had a pretty stout pylon, but whatever you do, be careful and don't blindly trust your equipment, especially on an older boat.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by jsenicka jsenicka wrote:

Sweet boat!. I personally REALLY like the team red boats! Mine doesn't have the transom sticker either, so I have no Idea what it should say back there. Thus my pylon opinion. BTW, anyone who gives you crap about towing from the pylon, but uses a barefoot bar is breaking the sticker rules too.

My kids tube, I have one, and I use it.   The deal for them though is that they need to try another more skilled water sport first.   We almost had my 10yo up on the wakeboard this weekend, but his forearms got tired after 3 attempts on ski's and 2 missed ups on the WB.   Yep, he got to tube, a sweet reward for a job well done.   I was proud of him for getting behind the boat and making a good attempt.   the 8YO didn't brave the WB this outing, but she did try the ski's.   She too went tubing.   

I have no problem with your philosophy on making the kids memories.   that is what boats are for.   (in the afternoon when the water sucks for anything else)
jsenicka View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsenicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 2:00pm
This is Jim Bossert's old SN. To say it was meticulously maintained would be an understatement.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

this year have the 200 with the 450 HP pulling 22 man pyramids!!! Isn't that a load

Yes it is and I would love to see this on video.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

this year have the 200 with the 450 HP pulling 22 man pyramids!!! Isn't that a load

Yes it is and I would love to see this on video.

I'll see what I can do. I will say it's a struggle with only one prop in the water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 4:46pm
Jim, your boat looks great, that is a classic hull, I especially like the red!

I've pulled tubes from my pylon, plus from my Flightpipe. I haven't pulled from my lift ring, and won't, which is different from your stern tow point on a NWZ. With the Flightpipe the stress on the pylon is handled by the bow strap when the tube is behind the boat, but you can feel and see the deflection when outside the wake. But, in my experience it's less stress than a good wakeboarder. Also, our tube is just a flat wedge shape, not much to catch in the water to create stress beyond the weight of the riders.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
jsenicka View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsenicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 8:59pm
Thanks for all the advice folks!
Had a great day. One lay down style tube, never more than two riders. Pulled on the pylon, since the rope angle was too shallow on the rear spool.
Saw no issues at all. This was my first time really towing anything with this boat (I just picked it up this spring, and have had a 30 odd year hiatus from driving ski boats). What an incredible machine.

KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 9:30pm
The next task - teach your kids to ski! They might tube with a friend or two to have fun, but with a machine like that you should teach those kids how to ski or board. They will learn a new skill and realize how much more fun that is than a tube. Beautiful boat! Welcome to team '93!
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 10:06pm
Hi I would not pull from the rear. I would pull from the pylon. I have had the lifting eye out of a 2002 Ski Nautique and there is just not much to hold it. It is designed for vertical loads only.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic