Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - SN2001 Overheats with T stat but runs cool without
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SN2001 Overheats with T stat but runs cool without

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
UndercoverPoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UndercoverPoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SN2001 Overheats with T stat but runs cool without
    Posted: August-21-2017 at 5:00pm
Hello fellow correct crafters- I have a 1988 SN 2001. I'm celebrating 15 years with this boat. However this season I have been chasing an overheating issue all summer long. Short Story - day 1 overheated, day 2 replaced impeller with a used one. Day 3 - ran cool. Day 4 Installed new impeller, day 5 overheated. Day 6 - removed t stat and boat ran cool 140-160 degree. Day 7 - Replaced T-stat with 160 from ski dim and back to overheating. Day 7, part 2 - took new t-stat out and ran the whole lake yesterday - 5 miles up and 5 miles back, boat tended to stay cool for the most part, looked like it had a hard time settling in at a consistent temp. But for the most part ran about 1`60. SO here is my question: why does it overheat with the t stat in, even a new t-stat? Why does it run cool without and what problems do I have to look forward to should I run it with a t stat regularly. Thanks CCF! See you on the lake
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2017 at 6:00pm
Test the old and new T stats. Even new ones have been known to be bad out of the box. Now, with "off shore" manufacturing bad is more common with everything!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MACS81SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACS81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2017 at 6:36pm
160 with no t-stat seems kinda high.   If you don't have a raw water strainer, have you checked the inlet end of the transmission cooler for debris?
Mark

1999 -SN - 502 Python
1981 - SN Owned 33 years - Sold
1968 - Mustang - Sold

cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2017 at 8:45pm
Get an temperature gun, even a cheap one will do. Check your exhaust risers in various spots to see if they are pretty even when fully warmed up. They are corroded inside, cast iron, and can get blocked or partially blocked at exit points. My 67 had one exit (starboard aft) totally blocked when I first got it.. I was able to remove the fitting and clear it. New ones are available of course if money is no object.
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2017 at 11:18pm
Agree with cbrdude. Get an IR temp gun and check the temp around the sending unit. Make sure it's really overheating and not just a bad dash ground.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 6:26am
Originally posted by bb12 bb12 wrote:

Agree with cbrdude. Get an IR temp gun and check the temp around the sending unit. Make sure it's really overheating and not just a bad dash ground.

I too agree with checking the actual temp to confirm it's not a gauge problem. Cleaning up the wire connections is also a great idea but understand a bad ground at the dash will not affect the temp gauge or oil pressure gauge. The ground source for both is at the sender/engine block.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UndercoverPoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 11:27am
Oh, wow thanks for all the replies. My problem fell on deaf ears over at Planet Nautique. For the record my first impeller came out shredded so there is a good likelihood of having to chase down and remove chunks of impellers.

8122pbrainard - agreed the new T stat could be bad. Maybe Its worth $40 to try another one.
MACS81SN - agreed that 160 was high but I didn't hear that these boats came with 143 degree when new until after I bought it. Also my boat has run at 160 since I owned it so I thought that was thew right one. Maybe I should get a 143 degree and see if that helps.

Do you know of the least inexpensive place to buy one? I guess SKIDIM and another $40 should do it??

As far as the raw water strainer, I do have the plastic "jar" with the screen an O ring. Is that what you are referring to? I just replaced with new the jar and the o ring and the screen looked fine., Its full of what while the boat is running.
Trans Cooler - this is something I'd like to check out, what is the process to determine if there is a clog going over to the trans? Not sure exactly where to start or what I'm looking at?

cbr1000dude - not sure if a temp gun makes sense because with T-stat - temp spikes quickly. With out stat temp comes down to 160 range. So it seems to be sending the consistent message to the gauge. Since the 15 years I've owned the boat I did replace complete exhaust including new exhaust manifolds. about 5 years ago. Could the be blocked? Yes I guess so, it should be easy enough for me to remove. Once removed can I blow them out with a hose? How does one go about removing and obstruction?

bb12 - I hear you but like I said T-stat removed, engine runs cool, T-stat installed (old or new 160 from skidim) boat overheats.

8122pbrainard and bb12 - to satisfy this requirement, at some point beofre I bring my boat to a third party which is going to cost a S*&t ton of money where I live, I'll replace both the sending unit and the gauge to rule this out. I am pretty familiar with all the gauges and all the wires behind my dash to the extent that that all my gauges appear to be working correctly. Unless there is some correlation between installing a t-stat and somehow knocking the gauge/sending unit function out. However, I'd like to so this as second or third attempt.

My first attempt will be somehow clearing out blocked passages, as my current situation doesn't appear to "flow" once T-stat get dropped in. Any help on where to start/take apart/look would be appreciated. Also if any process like blowing out with a garden hose can be explained to me - I'd like to try that too.

Second attempt I'd like to try and get a 143 degree t-stat - any economical link to the correct product would be appreciated. Thanks again CCF Community.
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 11:33am
Try Nautique parts and use the discount code PND for the discount.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 11:44am
Originally posted by UndercoverPoe UndercoverPoe wrote:

Day 1 overheated
Day 2 replaced impeller with a used one.
Day 3 - ran cool.
Day 4 Installed new impeller
Day 5 overheated.
Day 6 - removed t stat and boat ran cool 140-160 degree.
Day 7 - Replaced T-stat with 160 from ski dim and back to overheating.
Day 7, part 2 - took new t-stat out and ran the whole lake yesterday - 5 miles up and 5 miles back, boat tended to stay cool for the most part,
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 11:47am
Originally posted by UndercoverPoe UndercoverPoe wrote:

For the record my first impeller came out shredded so there is a good likelihood of having to chase down and remove chunks of impellers.

Do you know of the least inexpensive place to buy one? I guess SKIDIM and another $40 should do it??

I do have the plastic "jar" with the screen an O ring. Is that what you are referring to? I just replaced with new the jar and the o ring and the screen looked fine.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 11:48am
What caused the initial overheat? When exactly did you replace the strainer jar?

Have you tried going back to your used impeller (with thermostat)? Where did you get the new Day 4 impeller?

You're screwing around with the thermostat and that's clearly not the issue. Use a genuine Sherwood or PCM impeller.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 12:31pm
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 2:08pm
Quote : with T-stat - temp spikes quickly. With out stat temp comes down to 160 range.

T- stat in backwards???
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Quote : with T-stat - temp spikes quickly. With out stat temp comes down to 160 range.

T- stat in backwards???

Good thought!
cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 3:08pm
On all my CCs I have installed a faucet after the trans cooler so I can have a positive water flow for running on dry land. Those "fake a lake" devises can fall off when getting in and out of the boat in my experience. So blowing water backwards through the trans cooler happens every time I hook up the garden hose. You can just disconnect the TC hose to the strainer and flush it there.
Also I run my Barefoot 454 without a thermostat on purpose. A huge engine under a cover doesn't need any help getting hot on a 100 degree day to me. I'm much more concerned about overheating than getting the oil hot enough, I change it often anyway.
Yes those pieces of impeller can get lodged anywhere and cause a problem.
Walmart has a IR temp gun for $11.99, so not checking actual temp in various spots seems like penny wise and pound foolish even though you have new risers. Yours aren't as corroded as mine, but raw water cooling means anything, silt for example, can collect in fittings. You might be able to clear it with a long screwdriver or flexible picker upper tool.depending on the angle.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

T- stat in backwards???

Good thought!

O KENO, KENO, wherefore art thou KENO?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 3:34pm
Tstat can be checked in pan of water on stove. Just wipe off the meat thermometer before putting it back in drawer. Who knows, might add flavor!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

T- stat in backwards???

Good thought!

O KENO, KENO, wherefore art thou KENO?

Here I am Hollywood

If you're wondering if it fits upside down, the answer is YES. but the sensing portion is now facing away from the hot engine water so it wouldn't open at the same time or water temperature,then when it does open there will be flow to bring the temperature down

The pointy part goes toward the sky when it's installed right.

I didn't feel like running an engine this way though. At least not today, maybe tomorrow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UndercoverPoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 4:34pm
WOW! Thanks for quick replies. T stat in backwards. Hmmmm. I never thought of that. I put it in pointy side up. As mentioned above, Is that the correct orientation?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 4:48pm
Most Fords won't even move the temp gauge above 120 with no thermostat and open flow. You have something else going on if it's reading 160 with no thermostat.

What's the water flow look like out of the exhausts ? Is it even side to side ? Fill a 5 gallon bucket and see how quickly it sucks it down with a cooling hose directly into the bucket.

Pressurize your pre pump hoses with a garden hose. Thats an easy way to test for pre pump air leaks.

Pointy side up is correct. Did you use a genuine pcm or Sherwood impeller replacement ?
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 5:33pm
My boat seems to go through T stats all the time. I was interested in your thread but in my case like mentioned above the temp barely gets above 120 with it out. The very first thing you said about your impeller being shredded would be my best guess. I bet you have a piece blocking somewhere.
2006 SV 211 (sold) went to the dark side
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
05 Four Winns H180 (sold)
89 Four Winns 180 Freedom (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 5:50pm
The shredded old impeller pieces will cause cooling issues. We had to pull my buddy's hoses all off from the pump to the thermostat and from the thermostat to the exhaust and flush and dig out all the impeller chunks. We found most of the impeller and that fixed his problems.
Not an easy job while in the sun out on the beach. Would be much more comfortable at home in the garage.
I recommend staying with the thermostat installed once all is sorted out.
Your engine needs a little bit of cooling backpressure to properly cool the entire block. Running with no thermostat is not good for the engine.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 6:18pm
How do you winterize? We used to do the suck and displace method. The first time I pulled the drain plug I was shocked by the amount of scale especially from the exhaust manifolds.

Clogged up riser passages are known to cause engines to run hot.
throttle out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 9:15am
Originally posted by *mtrbtr* *mtrbtr* wrote:

My boat seems to go through T stats all the time. I was interested in your thread but in my case like mentioned above the temp barely gets above 120 with it out. The very first thing you said about your impeller being shredded would be my best guess. I bet you have a piece blocking somewhere.

This is my thought as well!
Those small pieces of rubber can cause havoc. My buddies Mastercraft ate an impeller earlier this summer, he simply replaced it and went about his business. Every time we meet up we gotta drag race (nautique vs mastercraft), this time halfway across the lake he let off, when I got back around to him he was overheated badly. We found all kinds of bits n pieces in that poor motor, now all is well.
Also, be sure to tighten ALL of your hose clamps with a nut runner or socket and get them goodntight, do not use a screw driver.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001 351 PCM w/ 1-1.23
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 9:30am
Originally posted by throttle out throttle out wrote:

[QUOTE=*mtrbtr*]
Also, be sure to tighten ALL of your hose clamps with a nut runner or socket and get them goodntight, do not use a screw driver.

Except take it easy on transmission oil cooler, as you can crush the shell.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UndercoverPoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 10:34am
I winterize by dumping all the water out of the block, the exhaust manifold and the hoses at the water pump and whatever other hoses are up there no more. Ski dim told me 15 seconds at 3000 rpm should fill a 5 gallon bucket. That's how to test the impeller pump action. Any less, something is not right.. No I didn't replace with Sherwood impeller, I used some cheap one I saw on amazon that was able to be overnight-ed. I have a since purchased a Sherwood and its currently in package up on my parts shelf. Maybe I'll put that in next and try the test skidim told me about.

Here is a dumb question, can the impeller be installed backwards? Not the pump, I have not removed the pump from the hoses, I have only replaced the impeller while pump was still hooked up so little chance the pump is backwards, but my question is: can the impeller fin orientation be installed backwards? I doubt it because when that belt spins that pump boy does it spin it.

As far as "cleaning it out" - can you tell where to start? Do i remove the manifolds, do I remove the trans coolers hoses? I guess next step is to put the sherwood impeller in and start trying to clean out the passages - just looking to see where to start.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 11:32am
The orientation of the impeller doesn't matter. It will "comb" the vanes the right way once it gets going. On the other hand though, I wouldn't re-install an impeller, where the vanes have taken a set, the other way. Of course, if the vanes have taken a set, the impeller is probably tired anyway.

I have heard of cheap impellers just not pumping, or the hub of the impeller breaking free and not spinning the impeller when the engine is running.

As far as cleaning out, you just have to follow the whole chain of the cooling system.
-Unlikely, but make sure there is nothing (like a plastic bag) jammed in the hull pickup
-Follow the hose and make sure your water strainer isn't clogged or cracked and that the rubber o-ring seal is in place
-check the transmission cooler doesn't have any debris clogged in the input side
-make sure none of the hoses are kinked or collapsing
-check the thermostat housing for impeller fragments or other clogs
-check the manifold fittings for debris
-along the way make sure all the hose ends are properly seated onto their fittings and that the hose clamps are snug but not too tight on the transmission cooler
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 11:47am
And remove the pump and change impeller and gaskets on the work bench. Doing handstands trying to seat the impeller and align O rings and gaskets is,IMHO,looking for trouble too. Note that external screw for impeller cam should be facing out away from engine when pump is mounted back on engine.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

And remove the pump and change impeller and gaskets on the work bench. Doing handstands trying to seat the impeller and align O rings and gaskets is,IMHO,looking for trouble too. Note that external screw for impeller cam should be facing out away from engine when pump is mounted back on engine.

Note to self: read this before replacing impeller.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UndercoverPoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 1:37pm
Bri892001 - Thanks. I will do all that this weekend and report back.
Gary S - Yes, "Cam" Screw? Out. That a check. I made sure pump wasn't upside down.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic